Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission fluid/issues..?

Transmission fluid/issues..?

What kind of transmission fluid does everyone use? I just changed my fluid, along with the filter and gaskets.. I used Schaefer SAT204 as recommended by Tozo to Justin9212 (in the trans fluid change thread under the DIY section). I followed V8Weight's DIY and everything seemed to work out fine. However, when I went to actually drive the car, I noticed a few issues. It shifted fine to start out, but when I gave it a little more throttle, enough to make it shift at about 3500 RPM, I could hear a 'whining' noise coming from the TC. Then, when I gave it more throttle, enough to hit about 10psi, the TC just started slipping. I tested it a couple more times, and about half the time it would slip bad. I thought that maybe I didn't fully fill the transmission somehow so I checked the level and it was dead on at 35 degrees C. So, I guess I'm curious what the problem could be. Is there a trick to making sure the TC gets filled beyond what the DIY says? I drained it pretty thoroughly, let it drain overnight. Or could it be the fluid? I'm considering re-draining and -filling, this time with the Audi OEM fluid. Or, worst case, could it just be that the TC is toast? And if so, could that have been caused by the fluid change?

For the record, I have a late VIN (see sig).
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

You have messed up the job.

Go back in and inspect the filter, oring, filter mounting.

It's not the draining, it's the fill that's a bitch. Make sure your temp is right with VAG, pump more fluid in until it pours out. I've learned after a few trans that a refill and check a week after filling is crucial...

I have the Audi Manual for the process, will try and post it. Be careful, for your $$...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Or as Dave said something isn't installed right, easy to capture the fluid and redo the job. No need to break a $7k piece.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Also, there are different filter pickup lengths. You need to measure to the depth of you pan and may need to trim the filter, it may be too tight to the bottom of the pan. Probably about a 1/4" would be enough trimmed.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Okay thanks for the suggestions! I'll drain it tomorrow, catch the fluid, pull off the pan, and inspect and measure the filter. Then refill per the directions and hopefully that solves the problem. I did monitor the temp the first time with VagCOM and had it just overflowing at 35 degrees, was that not the right way to do it?

Lswing, if you could post the directions is appreciate it!
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

after you fill it up, you need to start the car, plug in the vagcom, and then with your foot on the brake, go for a few seconds in each of, P, R, N, D, do this a few times, then leave the engine running with the oil temperature being at between 35 - 40C, can even be 45C, depends on the climate you're in, unplug the fill nut and if nothing pours out pump in some oil until it starts pouring out. Like it has been already said, check the filter's pick up tube and make it has the right length and also that you've installed the seal on the pick up tube of the filter.

if the gearbox was acting alright before the oil change shouldn't negatively be affected by it, unless something was done wrong.

here is the procedure by ZF: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si8HXqpgz9A
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Sounds like you filled it properly. For us here in the NW I would definitely have the plug re-installed at 30'C, of course that is with the fluid dripping or running out. I would say the filter is the most likely cause then. When you cut a little off the bottom make sure you chamfer the edges with a file or something as you don't want any of those loose bits falling off after cutting. Driving a small distance with it like that most likely didn't hurt a thing so I think your fine there.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Yes, check the filter. I had to trim mine. Also, still had to refill after one week of driving as well. Should be fine after checking these two things.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	15139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	15140

Here are the two pages, think you can get the whole manual from ZF's website. Be careful not to trim too much off the filter pickup, there are some good threads, think it was 3/8", or 1/4" to be safe. I'd read up on it, or carefully do your own measuring. And OEM filter only!

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I just finished draining and refilling it and it works like a charm now!

I ended up doing three things differently the second time around: I installed the o-ring on the filter (I completely missed that the first time), trimmed the pickup tube about 1/4" (I measured and it had just under 1/4" clearance already but that seemed a bit tight for such a large diameter tube so I cut it shorter), and replaced the Schaefer fluid with Audi G052162A2. I doubt that the Schaefer fluid caused any of my problems, and I'm sure it's a great fluid, but I figured since I was already re-draining the transmission and getting more of the original fluid out, it wouldn't hurt to refill with completely fresh OEM fluid.

All in all, I'm guessing the only thing that actually caused the issues I had was the missing o-ring.. But whatever it was, I'm good to go for a while now!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: this forum is a FANTASTIC source for anyone who owns one of these cars!

if you missed the o-ring that was actually the issue because there was a loss of pressure, glad that it all worked out, now you're experienced in changing the tranny fluid .

How much was the OEM oil at Audi? you can get the same oil from BMW, i noticed is cheaper by quite a lot, for example here at Audi is cca $24/L while at BMW is $15/L...

Good to know. I actually ended up getting it from a VW dealer since the local Audi dealer is closed Saturdays. It cost $22 per liter. Sounds like I'll be looking at BMW next time if there's that big a price difference. It's the same fluid then?

it is the same fluid but of course with a different part number, here is the list for the same fluid used by different car manufacturers:

ZF Lifeguardfluid 5 (ZF No. S671 090 170)
    => Audi / VW Oil No. G 052162 A1 / A2 / A6
    => BMW Oil No. 8322 9407807
    => Citroen Oil No. Z 000169756
    => Jaguar Oil No. JLM 20238
    => Mercedes Benz Oil No. A 0019892203
    => Peugeot Oil No. Z 000169756
    => Porsche Oil No. 999.917.547.00

The problem was the missing O-ring. I would never trade the shaeffer's for the vw/audi fluid. Synthetic>mineral.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Here here chicken dinner. LOL

Glad it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    How much was the OEM oil at Audi? you can get the same oil from BMW, i noticed is cheaper by quite a lot, for example here at Audi is cca $24/L while at BMW is $15/L...
    The local Audi dealer here in my neck of the woods rapes us for everything Audi. 1L of relabeled ZF tranny fluid sets you back $38.00...... No I'm not making this up....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down