Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Holes License Plate Install

No Holes License Plate Install

Hi RS6 owners,

I have searched but couldn't find anything on installing License Plates on an RS6 without drilling into the bumper, can anyone help? I know it can be done for most Audi models.

Kind Regards,

][V][ark

Quote Originally Posted by ][V][ View Post
    Hi RS6 owners,

I have searched but couldn't find anything on installing License Plates on an RS6 without drilling into the bumper, can anyone help? I know it can be done for most Audi models.

Kind Regards,

][V][ark
    I searched pretty extensively and finally gave up and started taking an improper display ticket every 2-3 months (whenever cops notice in parking lots, thankfully they can't ticket me in my driveway/garage). Zero demerit points and a $75 fine is worth it to not have extra holes drilled.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

3m double sticky tape

Too lazy to search for the post, but iirc someone used very strong magnets placed behind the bumper shell
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    Too lazy to search for the post, but iirc someone used very strong magnets placed behind the bumper shell
    This is what others have done.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Both methods can be used together, thanks guys. Just ordered some magnets!

3m double sticky tested to 160 on a remote hwy in Mexico

Wood screws.....wait, that's what the previous owner did to my car, not too bad really, assuming the plate stays on.

You guys with your tape and magnets, let's see how that holds at 180!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    3m double sticky tested to 160 on a remote hwy in Mexico
    And that is on his bicycle...
    Last edited by MaxRS6; April 4th, 2014 at 20:33.
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Wood screws.....wait, that's what the previous owner did to my car, not too bad really, assuming the plate stays on.

You guys with your tape and magnets, let's see how that holds at 180!
    Will let you know!

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this just in case I want to put a Euro one on the front.

I would not put a magnet behind the bumper, but instead attach the magnets to the plate.

Think of all the potential metal 'fuzz' that might accumulate on the front bumper if you decide to get behind a truck leaking metal scrap, etc.

Anyway, the metal plate would have to be glued or taped to the inside of the bumper cover.

I'm waiting to get my cover back from the painter, so I'll document it if I decide to do it.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I'm thinking of doing this just in case I want to put a Euro one on the front.

I would not put a magnet behind the bumper, but instead attach the magnets to the plate.

Think of all the potential metal 'fuzz' that might accumulate on the front bumper if you decide to get behind a truck leaking metal scrap, etc.

Anyway, the metal plate would have to be glued or taped to the inside of the bumper cover.

I'm waiting to get my cover back from the painter, so I'll document it if I decide to do it.
    Yeah that is worth noting, another way is to have the magnets on both sides, behind the bumper and the other on the outside of the plate. This would secure the plate without having to glue a magnet on the inside of the bumper. Provided of course you get one small enough to not cover the important bits of the plate.

At least that way when you wash the car you take both off and then your not rubbing potentially metal shavings on your paint work if there is any there.

plate looks real nice when mounted in the center of the lower grill valence using an $8 plastic mounting bracket with 4 zip ties securing to the grill. Some folks on here raised a potential concern regarding the blockage of air flow to the intercoolers however when I ran the set up I never had an issue and my car dyno'd 426 WHP which aleviated any lingering concerns.
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    3m double sticky allegedly tested to 160 on a main hwy in New Mexico
    With lil' sis in the trunk...I cannot tell a lie .... true story
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Magnets on Thing One on the left. Tested to 150....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130731_202806.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	15136

^^^You really got good at making cardboard cut outs!

Rule #46: All tests mandatory at 150...

Thankfully I live in a part of the world where they only issue rear plates.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down