Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine Coming Out

Engine Coming Out

Howdy All,
    Long time no post, I was over in Okinawa for a few years. Got back last fall and my RS6 started up fine, however I had some bad luck reciently. Someone caved in my driver's side quarter panel around Christmas. Probably a '90s Suburban from the bumper marks, but they didn't leave any info. USAA took care of it and the local Audi body shop did a terrific job, cut the old quarter completely out at the factory welds and put a new one in.

I'd been getting a small, intermitent coolant loss, while it was in the body shop the car dumped about a gallon from the right front. I feared the infamous oil cooler, coolant pipe and the Audi mechanic agreed. Thank god I heeded everyone's advice back in '09 and got the Fidelity Platnum warrenty. Fidelity is hedging their bets and refusing to approve the claim until they inspect the engine out of the car. So I had to agree to pay for removal (@ $2300) if it turned out to be a part not covered. From reading my policy that should be everything in the coolant system except for radiator and heater hoses. Anyone else have Fidelity pull this on a large claim?

I've got a Blufkin pipe to replace the stock plastic piece and will try to convince the mechanic to put it in.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	15116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	170 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	15117  
    Last edited by Turboluvr; March 26th, 2014 at 14:18.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

I added pictures to try and make it more interesting...rule #1 and all...
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

Right front....make sure it's not the aux radiator. The coolant pipe is usually a small leak....

Thanks for responding, I was beginning to feel like I'd thrown a high five and everyone had walked off.

I'm pretty sure it's not the aux radiator. It had been a small leak, I think it got large because of many small leaks as it sat in one place for a long time. They did a pressure test on it and got a little leakage, but the most they could say was that it seemed to be coming from the area of the oil cooler coolant pipe. Too packed in to actually see the leak.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

You'll know weather it's a aux rad or Bufkin pipe depending upon location...Bufkin is middle right, aux rad is front right.

Definitely middle right, it rolls forward to come out the air scoop on the underpan.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

Bummer, that's screwed up that Fidelity won't take a mechanic's diagnosis. Should be obvious where the leak is without removal. I believe some have even changed the pipe with engine in, 6-10 hours?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Pull the under pan to get a better idea....Mile on the beast?

Some have done it w/ the engine, but an Audi shop will pull it. I'd try the engine-in procedure if it wasn't under warranty, as it is I leave it to them to sort out.

The car has 57K miles. The stealer had it on a rack to see where it leaked, w/ pan off, and I've had the pan off on a rack trying to find it for weeks before it was hit. It doesn't want to leak on cue.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

[QUOTE=Turboluvr;259203before it was hit. It doesn't want to leak on cue.[/QUOTE]

?? Before it was hit?

Yes, intermittent coolant leak before she was backed into (see pics). Was at the body shop for almost two months where she developed a more serious leak.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

When it comes to the Bufkin pipe, shove it down your mechanics throat. If the engine comes out, leak from there or not replace it.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I showed the Bufkin pipe to the service manager today and he said they'd do it.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

Fidelity wants to see the failed part. You pay till that happens.

Yup, that's where I stand now, it goes into a bay tomorrow to get the engine pulled to see where the leak is. I've looked at every possible line that you can see for leaks, so I'm confident in the mechanic's estimate. Hopefully it works out. I'm excited to see my engine out in the open, although that will be dulled if I have to pay for it. While it's out it would be wise to have some other things done, like O2 sensors. I know there's a post listing all the things to do when your engines out, I'll search for it and try to get as much done as my wallet can handle.
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

At your mileage.......its a toss up.

Maybe primary O2s but thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Turboluvr View Post
    I'd been getting a small, intermitent coolant loss, while it was in the body shop the car dumped about a gallon from the right front. I feared the infamous oil cooler, coolant pipe and the Audi mechanic agreed. Thank god I heeded everyone's advice back in '09 and got the Fidelity Platnum warrenty. Fidelity is hedging their bets and refusing to approve the claim until they inspect the engine out of the car. So I had to agree to pay for removal (@ $2300) if it turned out to be a part not covered. From reading my policy that should be everything in the coolant system except for radiator and heater hoses. Anyone else have Fidelity pull this on a large claim?

I've got a Blufkin pipe to replace the stock plastic piece and will try to convince the mechanic to put it in.
    James
    WTH!?!?!
    Sounds like a slick willy move on Fidelity.
    I had the same thing happen to me, pink puddle under the right front of RS6.
    Took it to stealership, they performed a pressure test and the oil cooler coolant was cracked AND I had a few small holes in the radiator. My aftermarket warranty picked up all but $200.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

There are some nice lists of parts to replace, try using google to search the forum, or maybe someone will chime in.

Cam tensioner seals?
    EGT's? Although I replaced mine when fine and one failed a year later, crap things.
    Check all vacuum lines.
    Intake manifold gasket.
    Rebuild turbos for about $1k at Scroll or other.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com