Thread: Engine Coming Out

I did not do bufkin at 41k.

It will bite me in the butt some day.

I would leave everything else at 57k

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I did not do bufkin at 41k.

It will bite me in the butt some day.

I would leave everything else at 57k
    ...but Dave, You're a gambler. (and have a back-up beast)

Well that's not germane to the topic. We're talking about the German engineers that put that pipe in there to begin with. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    ...but Dave, You're a gambler. (and have a back-up beast)

We roll the dice with these things every year. I did drive a 2013 S6 with APR tune last week. Holy smokes what a rocket.

The writing is on the wall....there will be a 4.0tt in the garage at some point.

Well, it turns out they didn't have to remove the engine after all. They used a very neat engine support brace to hold everything in place from above while they removed the oil cooler from the front (see pics). It turned out not to be the plastic oil cooler pipe, but they're still replacing it w/ the new Bufkin pipe. It was actually the O-rings on the small radiator in the oil cooler housing that were leaking. It was covered by the warranty and the transmission output seal was leaking so that's getting repaired as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	15126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	15127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide3.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	15128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide4.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	15129

My next question, has anyone had to replace the sway-bar mounting bolts? They are pressed into small aluminum suspension brackets, kind of like wheel studs. Mine are starting to go, they obviously get taken on and off every time I change the oil. The bolts are not covered under the warranty as they are hardware, but Audi only replaces the entire bracket for $200 apiece. Looks like a press and the right size stud would fix it. Any thoughts?

James
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

Curious, how much was the body work repair bill for the rear quarter?

About $4850
    Semper Fi
    James

My Girls:
    03 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray/Black
    96 Porsche 993 Turbo
    86 Porsche 911 Turbo-look
    65 Mustang Fastback
    65 Mustang Convt
    00 F-150 Lightining

This is a great data point for future reference.

the engine does not need to come out for the oil cooler R@R. I like this approach to gain space.

You should write a new thread on that specific topic and link this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Turboluvr View Post
    Well, it turns out they didn't have to remove the engine after all. They used a very neat engine support brace to hold everything in place from above while they removed the oil cooler from the front (see pics). It turned out not to be the plastic oil cooler pipe, but they're still replacing it w/ the new Bufkin pipe. It was actually the O-rings on the small radiator in the oil cooler housing that were leaking. It was covered by the warranty and the transmission output seal was leaking so that's getting repaired as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide1.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	15126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide2.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	15127Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide3.JPG 
Views:	153 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	15128Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slide4.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	15129

My next question, has anyone had to replace the sway-bar mounting bolts? They are pressed into small aluminum suspension brackets, kind of like wheel studs. Mine are starting to go, they obviously get taken on and off every time I change the oil. The bolts are not covered under the warranty as they are hardware, but Audi only replaces the entire bracket for $200 apiece. Looks like a press and the right size stud would fix it. Any thoughts?

James

Having recently competed a tranny swap, I personally believe one to be able to perform an oil cooler swap without removing the front clip like you see in the photos here. This would save draining the transmission cooler or the air conditioning system - both which require more than just adding fluid to a reservoir to top up again.... Removal of coolant along with performing an oil change while you have the filter and oil cooler lines off is all that would be required. For the owners that don't have a swanky overhead engine support bar, you can look to block the engine from below while you remove the K-frame and motor mount to increase access.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down