Thread: [RANT] This is why we can't have nice things!

Thumbs down [RANT] This is why we can't have nice things!

So I'm trying to sell the weekend cruiser (99 Grand Prix GTP) to a guy from Maryland. I have to turn my tags in to VA DMV. He has to have title in hand in order to get temporary tags in Maryland. At this point he would have to do the following to remain legal:

1) Drive to VA (~1.5hours)
    2) Pay me
    3) I sign over title
    4) He calls insurance company, adds car to insurance
    5) Drive his own car back to MD with new cars' title in hand
    6) Go to MD MVA
    7) Pay $20, application fee for 30-day temporary tags
    8) Drive BACK to VA with a second driver
    9) Both drivers bring back one vehicle each
    10) Get VA-Inspected car that he just bought inspected at a MD safety station
    11) Pay the MD MVA another visit to get permanent plates

Why can't they make it easier than this? And before you reply back with "Trip Permit" - that's for commercial drivers who hold a different state's CDL-equivalent for a vehicle, but no Dept. of Transportation registration, that they plan to bring into the state for 3 days or less...

This is why we can't have nice things across state lines!
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Amen, brother! I encountered the same process when I bought my RS6 from a seller in NJ. I flew home Friday night, drove with my father to meet the seller, made the purchase, went to title transfer agency, got temp tags, added to insurance and drove home. The whole day lasted about 14 hours. Also had to schedule an inspection for a couple weeks later after replacing the pads and rotors to make it pass.

I suppose I could have driven down to see the car, paid for it and then arranged shipping, but that would have added cost and delayed receipt even longer until I got home again. PITA!

In the end, it was worth it, but there's no doubt that it is easier to buy in-state.

I remember when I bought a US car (I'm Canadian and this was nearly 10 years ago) and was driving it back, there was a 48 hour grace period to take the car home. I drove from Wisconsin to Washington without any permit or plates. Half way, I got pulled over by the police and he confirmed what the DMV told me in Wisconsin, and let me go on my way. Might be worth looking into if this is still the case.