Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality check.....drove Motor Trend's Car of the year.

Reality check.....drove Motor Trend's Car of the year.

So I had the chance to drive a new Cadillac CTS AWD....Motor Trend Car of the year for 2014. I was on my way home from work and they offered me 4 ski passes to Deer Valley for the opportunity. The car was really nice...impressive build quality....sticker just over 60k......then I started it up.....

OMG.....I'll put a new trans in the RS every 2 years to keep from driving that POS....steering wheel quality sucked.....this is the thing you have to touch in any car EVERY time you are in it........drivetrain was noisy and unresponsive......and for 60k+??

Just had to share....

^What he said---
    210K miles rolled

Thanks for the report. Amazing how poor some fancy new cars shift/handle. It seems they're just selling on marketing and fancy interiors and electronics.

Now....I did just get a 2010 Ram Laramie, really nice interior and leather seats (basically a Mercedes interior). Shifts pretty good too, and not too slow for a 400hp truck that weighs 6,250lbs. Serious power steering really looses touch with the road, but makes it easy to drive a big truck...

And...the 2010 C63 AMG I drove last year had a horrid interior, steering so so, good shifting. But still amazing what we have in a 2003 car.

There's an NSX in town, mint, 25,000 miles, $75,000 dollars, yep. Wonder if our cars will ever bounce back once the numbers get lower....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'm guessing that Cadillac is shooting for the "I've made a dollar .....I don't know where I am....and I need to charge my cell phone" crowd. Electronics were way cool....car sucked.

20k more and you have a brand new S6

I will put transmissions in both my RS6s every other year before I take the keys of any Caddy.

Hell, #1 is on the factory trans to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    So I had the chance to drive a new Cadillac CTS AWD....Motor Trend Car of the year for 2014. I was on my way home from work and they offered me 4 ski passes to Deer Valley for the opportunity. The car was really nice...impressive build quality....sticker just over 60k......then I started it up.....

OMG.....I'll put a new trans in the RS every 2 years to keep from driving that POS....steering wheel quality sucked.....this is the thing you have to touch in any car EVERY time you are in it........drivetrain was noisy and unresponsive......and for 60k+??

Just had to share....

Agreed on many of the cars out there. I have to have a truck for work so usually get a new one every 5 or so years... now I am also a performance enthusiast so my 2010 Dodge 1500 has a blower on it... it may have shifted fine before my "upgrades" but the 550 HP that it has killed the factory tranny and 2 upgraded transmissions before it got it dialed. It is certainly not a replacement for my car but it is quite entertaining showing GT Mustangs and SS Camaro's my tail lights... and although my RS6 is great in the snow the truck if far better (IMO)...

It truely is sad when $60k can't buy you a solid car.

Off-Topic - drove the RS6 this AM, cause I had an itch. Icy cold air helped get that itch to go away...
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

I have driven a CTS-V (Speedtrapped) and can tell you that with the exception of only having rwd, it outperformed our cars in every other aspect.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Yea, my brother has a CTS-V, it's an absolute monster compared to our car, but you can't get the power down (he does have a manual though making it more difficult).

But back to original poster, did you drive a VSport version? If so, I'd be surprised. Nevermind, just edited my post with this, you didn't because you said it was AWD, so 2.0T or V6?

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    There's an NSX in town, mint, 25,000 miles, $75,000 dollars, yep. Wonder if our cars will ever bounce back once the numbers get lower....
    That's a host of $$ for that car. What year?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Cadillac used to have little (lame) ducks on their emblem ... and for a good reason ...

Shame on GM from attempting to stray from the normal.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    That's a host of $$ for that car. What year?
    Garage queen....I should go look at it, just down the street...4k miles....

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2015&modelCode1=NSX&showcaseOwnerId=573742&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ACURA&searchRadius=200&mmt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=365689118
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

About $10k too high for that car
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

They got it on trade in a few weeks back...guessing they would take $65k, going to be tough to move, but we do get a good amount of college kids with big $$$ around here.

I'm guessing the new 8 spd auto they developed for the new Z06 will trickle down to other models (in various torque ratings) soon. It's supposed to be the best trans GM has made yet... we'll see.
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Yea, my brother has a CTS-V, it's an absolute monster compared to our car, but you can't get the power down (he does have a manual though making it more difficult).

But back to original poster, did you drive a VSport version? If so, I'd be surprised. Nevermind, just edited my post with this, you didn't because you said it was AWD, so 2.0T or V6?
    It was the V-6....321 supposed hp......not impressed. I'm guessing more like 275. I'm sure the CTS-V is great, but for 1/10th the money, I could put 700hp in my Kenny Brown Crown Vic and have stupid fun on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    My brothers supercharged M5 is like that...650hp, traction is a bitch. I assume your car isn't modified? Caddy stock shouldn't be that much more....

After solely driving the RS for a couple months, finally got back into the GTP. To think, it's cammed, IC'ed, injectors, mapped, tuned, basically as powerful as it can be without going turbo or swap, and it feels like a cross between a slow pig and a boat. And I used to love driving it. Perhaps it's time to pass that one on to the next owner :|

Remember what you're comparing any other car to - the height of german engineering, the executive luxury rocket, the true and soulful RennSport. I don't know how I could ever move on to anything else. Even tooling around in my brother's 2011 S5, interior felt plastic and cheap, the MMI screen felt gimmicky and distracting and out of place...

Speaking of cheap and plastic, I see you all talking about the CTS-V. If they would put out an AWD auto-slushbox version, it'd be "comparable" to the RS, but the interior needs a lot of work. Rode in one and couldn't listen to the engine over the squeak/scrape/rattle of plastic on plastic mounted to plastic. Not exactly my idea of the interior of a car that costs more than I make in a year!
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)