Thread: dipped bulbs - life?

dipped bulbs - life?

I was just wondering how much life people were getting out of the stock HIDs. I got a little scare today when I had to stop and restart my engine within seconds, and the passenger-side headlamp threw a code and wouldn't turn on (it turned on fine 10 minutes later and no problems since).

So if a headlight burns out, is it just a bulb, or is swapping the ballast also required? Can they be done singly or must they be done in pairs? Thanks!
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

most people replace in pairs, if one goes out usually the other isnt far behind. As far as you other question not sure, with HIDS its usually the ballast that goes first, you can normally hear the buzzing sound when you turn the lights on, if you dont it could be a bad ballast, but once again im no expert. im sure someone else will chime in

Quote Originally Posted by SA RS6 View Post
    most people replace in pairs, if one goes out usually the other isnt far behind. As far as you other question not sure, with HIDS its usually the ballast that goes first, you can normally hear the buzzing sound when you turn the lights on, if you dont it could be a bad ballast, but once again im no expert. im sure someone else will chime in
    Best bet would be to swap bulbs to see if issue stays or follows. If bulbs are the issue do what SA RS6^ said and change them in pairs.
    they call me Tank

well, the right front bulb lived another 6 months or so but now it's dead. anyone know off the top of their head what these things cost (bulb only or bulb/ballast)?

also, and is this an easy home DIY? I've never had a xenon die on me before (I always swap in HID kits on my motorcycles).
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

IIRC, the challenge isn't getting the bulb, rather it IS getting into the area to change the bulb...

Also when I was at Raven MS in Long Beach, CA they had the headlight assembly out from Riccardo's RS6 and they were changing a ballast out as it crapped the bed.
    Both assembly came out from the front clip and the ballast is underneath/bottom of each assembly. Smart design.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared