Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A very sad day for me...

$5,500-$6,000, my final answer!
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

Quick update.

I have a disagreement with the adjuster regarding the settlement amount. It's not sounding like they will work with me. I don't want to disclose too many details yet but the buy back option I was given is quiet a bit below everyone's guess so far.

So, I've spent most of the day putting together a spreadsheet of part #'s and pricing items that will absolutely need to be replaced based on the repair estimate. I think I can put it back on the road for <$6k + buy back. A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.

I'm expecting another call from them tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    Quick update.

I have a disagreement with the adjuster regarding the settlement amount. It's not sounding like they will work with me. I don't want to disclose too many details yet but the buy back option I was given is quiet a bit below everyone's guess so far.

So, I've spent most of the day putting together a spreadsheet of part #'s and pricing items that will absolutely need to be replaced based on the repair estimate. I think I can put it back on the road for <$6k + buy back. A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.

I'm expecting another call from them tomorrow.

Not surprised that you have a disagreement with the adjuster, they are not looking after your best interests and will try to pay as little as possible if you let them.

Never accept a lowball offer, in fact I would suggest you look into getting an professional independent third party appraisal to contrast against the lowball BS the adjuster is trying to put over on you. Check here: http://www.autoloss.com/Services/Onl...l#.Ux0beKVZjwI I'm not affiliated with this company just have had some previous experience with a diminished value recovery from my own insurer when some nitwit rear ended my Jaguar a few years back. Good luck!
    Last edited by nistah; March 10th, 2014 at 03:51.
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

I agree with nistah, absolutely line up an independent appraisal. Get a couple referrals for one from a respected high end body shop in your area. Even the threat of hiring an Indy appraisal should improve their offer but likely won't get you to where you want to be. No reason to end up worse off than you started, less your deductible of course. If you can't buy what is essentially your car with the total out settlement you're getting shafted. Keep on fighting, it sounds like the only way to get an acceptable outcome.

Good luck!
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.
    A salvage title sucks only if you don't know why it was salvaged. The damage to your car is only skin deep.

If you take good pictures of the before/during/after of the repair, and it is done by a reputable shop - and done well - I don't think that resale value will take too much of a hit. Not that you were considering resale anyway.

For you this is a great opportunity. Bring everything up to snuff while it is apart, chip it (because now you can WITH CONFIDENCE), and enjoy a sleeper of a car that hangs with the best of them.

And if its wet - its over.

Good luck!
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Sorry for your interaction with the deer. Even more glad you're safe. I had the same adventure 2 years ago only caught strength on and thus took out both headlights.
    I avoided the deer herd, but my evasive maneuvers sent me into a brush pile at the end of a farmer's field with limbs that skewered my front end.
    New headlights, radiator, intercoolers, grills, and fresh respray.

Keep us posted on outcome, Jim

Finally settled with insurance and bought my car back.

The buy-back option was $3900 so it seemed like a no brainer. I'll probably start a new thread to document the repairs with lots of questions because the body shop was gracious enough to leave me with a trunk full of parts and a handful of unlabeled plastic bags filled with hardware.

Today was a good day!

Holy crap. That's cheap
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

so that means you got the car back for $3900 plus the money they gave you for totaling the car? if so, that's a good deal!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me too. How much did you get? Can you fix everything and then some?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    so that means you got the car back for $3900 plus the money they gave you for totaling the car? if so, that's a good deal!
    Correct. They are sending me a check for the settlement amount minus the salvage value.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me too. How much did you get? Can you fix everything and then some?
    The check will cover the balance remaining on the loan (owned it 3.5 months). With my wheelbarrow full of cash for repairs and the buy-back I estimate my total investment in the car will be around $10-12k.

It will actually be a bit more because I plan on completing the 75k maintenance since I wasn't able to confirm it had been done at the time of purchase. In addition to any other mods/upgrades I deem necessary while it's apart.

The final agreed ACV was $19250. But that was after sending them a spreadsheet comparing ALL RS6's currently for sale on autotrader/cars.com and KBB/Napa valuations. They agreed to do a "dealer value estimate" because I pushed for it to be considered a specialty vehicle which averaged into the above agreed ACV.

I would have accepted their initial offer but it included a "Projected Sold Adjustment" that was defined as follows:

Projected Sold Adjustment - an adjustment to reflect consumer purchasing behavior (negotiating a different price than the listed price).
    I called BS on that and refused to value my car based on someone else's potential negotiation skills.

Anyway, all is done and I'm happy with the outcome.

I think this is friggin awesome that you saved this car from the scrap heap.

And you only just purchased it.

You will get a ton of help here.

Correct. They are sending me a check for the settlement amount minus the salvage value.

The check will cover the balance remaining on the loan (owned it 3.5 months). With my wheelbarrow full of cash for repairs and the buy-back I estimate my total investment in the car will be around $10-12k.

It will actually be a bit more because I plan on completing the 75k maintenance since I wasn't able to confirm it had been done at the time of purchase. In addition to any other mods/upgrades I deem necessary while it's apart.

The final agreed ACV was $19250. But that was after sending them a spreadsheet comparing ALL RS6's currently for sale on autotrader/cars.com and KBB/Napa valuations. They agreed to do a "dealer value estimate" because I pushed for it to be considered a specialty vehicle which averaged into the above agreed ACV.

I would have accepted their initial offer but it included a "Projected Sold Adjustment" that was defined as follows:

I called BS on that and refused to value my car based on someone else's potential negotiation skills.

Anyway, all is done and I'm happy with the outcome.

^+1- Awesome results! Good luck and speed with the repairs.
    210K miles rolled