Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: May try shoving a 6HP26A into the car...

May try shoving a 6HP26A into the car...

So, if I can possibly get a little help figuring some things out.

If I can find out a few things that I need to know im gonna pick one up and make the car a 6 speed automatic.

-Will it bolt up: seems yes as the newer version 6 speed manual will and it should have the same bolt pattern as the manual trans as long as its also from a newer 4.2 car.

-Need to know what cars, if any, that will have the same gear ratio so a rear diff swap is not necessary.

-Wiring schematics for both so I can rewire the tcu's.

-Find physical dimensions to see if its anywhere close to even fitting in the trans tunnel.

-Figure out overall length to know if I have to shorten or lengthen the driveshaft.

The RS6 4.2 block has a different bolt pattern at the back than a normal 4.2 block. That is why the manual conversions took to long to show up, somebody that was smart with a lot of energy (Steve Ken) had to come up with an adapter plate to allow the manual to bolt up. I do hope you can do it though. I already have two track cars and would prefer to leave the RS6 with an Auto if it can be a better one.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

I dont think an adaptor is necessary. Looks like a 01e can be bolted up without the adaptor too. All the bolts are definetly not needed and starter seems it will work with a little massaging.

Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Found that too, unfortunately it has absolutely zero useful information. The thing doesn't even show dimensions, final drive ratio, or bolt circle dimensions. Bummer...

Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Once I find the TCU wiring schematics, I don't see any reason why should not be able to wire it up to function properly.

Do you know what year they fixed the internal leak?

Are you thinking that you will use the 5 speed TCU to activate the valve body of the 6 speed transmission? Or are you hoping that the Motronic ECU will be happy to talk to a newer 6 speed TCU as if it were the original 5 speed TCU? It's certainly not impossible that Audi uses the same protocol between different ECU/TCU generations, but I wouldn't assume. It's more of a software issue than a wiring issue...

I saw that too! We must be on the same trail. Lol

The key would be a good side to side picture of both together. And wiring schematic for the TCU.

I'm guessing if the six speed manual will fit into our cars, so should the automatic.

If you find any information on final driver he shows, let me know, I need to know if it will feasibly even work without swapping differential. :/

Im planning on wiring in the newer tcu, ditching the old one. I need to see the wiring schematics, my hope is that it's mainly decision based off of the input sensors from the speed sensor and engine speed/ tps.

Sounds reasonable.

I guess I have to wait till I get a wiring schematic, but my hopes are that if it sees an engine RPM signal, a speed signal, and a GPS signal, it might function correctly...

Obviously, if I cannot figure out the wiring, or the gear ratio, the potential project would be dead. Oh those are the important things I need to find right now

The other option would be to run a Ford transmission control module for the 6hp they run in the newer Ford's, American cars are generally much simpler, and usually seem to run the transmission control modules more independent and just need some input from the throttle position sensor engine speed and vehicle speed.

For the v10 s6:

A ZF 6HP26 six-speed tiptronic automatic transmission (parts code: 09E, identification codes: JBW, JMS, KHD, JLL) (gear ratios - 1st: 4.171, 2nd: 2.340, 3rd: 1.521, 4th: 1.143, 5th: 0.867, 6th: 0.691), with steering wheel-mounted "paddle-shifters" is the only transmission available. Torsen-based quattro permanent four-wheel drive - initially with the T-2 symmetrical differential, and from 2007 model year with the latest 40:60 front:rear asymmetric/dynamic Torsen T-3 differential, is standard. The final drive ratio is 3.801. Traction is assisted "Electronic Differential Lock" (EDL) and "Anti-Slip Regulation" (ASR) (commonly known as traction control system) - both functions of the Bosch ESP 8.0 Electronic Stability Programme.

It looks like the running gear ratios are the same for all the 6hp26 trans.