Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRC Noise Related Question

DRC Noise Related Question

Hi, I have owned the 03 RS6 for about a month or so. No problems so far just a couple of questions. I find the DRC to be somewhat noisy. Lots of clunking from front and back wheels especially when its cold. Its been freezing lately so that may be affecting it somewhat. Is this normal DRC behavior or is it possible the fluid is low on pressure or something of that nature. The warranty work was done in June 2011 approximately 7k miles ago. The car is leak free. The banging is bothering me a bit but I really did not start noticing it until it became bitter cold. I also got rid of the rear seat squeak by greasing the rear seat hinges which let my ears focus on the DRC noises. What is normal is my question. Otherwise the car is great.
    2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

My car has been pretty creaky in the cold, I don't mind it because i know it is only the cold causing it, and believe me my cold is a lot worse than your cold these days. i believe it is a balmy 2 degrees out right now.

I can't speak to any specifics, but would suggest a thorough looking over. Could be loose mounts, etc. I hear when the DRC fails, handling is severely compromised. Not a good time to be surprised...
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Yep, mine was clunky, no pressure when we took it out, was scary above 80. Amazing how nice the Koni's are for $1,250 installed...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Yep, mine was clunky, no pressure when we took it out, was scary above 80. Amazing how nice the Koni's are for $1,250 installed...
    Are these the a6 konis you speak of?

I do not hear noise from my DRC when cold or otherwise -it's been good so far. Sounds like yours might have an issue.
    '03 RS6 | Avus Silver Pearl | Black + CF interior | SE Exhaust | 64k miles and counting

Quote Originally Posted by Carado1984 View Post
    Are these the a6 konis you speak of?
    Yep, koni yellow sports, there are two types though. Part numbers in a great thread by 4.2Crew.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

After looking at the older posts and inspecting the car I am guessing the control arm bushings were somehow damaged during the DRC recall in June 11. No leaks and car is firm on all sides. Jacking up the front wheel revealed a slight play in the drivers side wheel. Looking at the bushings it looks like they may be less than perfect. I guess they can be damaged if they are tightened under no load. With only 25k it seems early but they are 10 years old. I will have someone look at it. The noise is more of a rattle than anything which is consistent with bushings.
    2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

Even new bushings wear quick on these, amazed you have the originals. Meyle HD I believe is what you want...

I would think bushings for sure. This is also worse in the cold. 10 years on the rubber in those bushings is enough to wear them out, even if few miles were driven.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I just ordered the Meyle complete front control arm set from JHMotorsport. I don't think it is in their catalog. I liked the car before when the bushings were all shot.

cool Meyle video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePnU3-c4YWA

2004 S4 Avant - 2003 Avus Silver RS6 MT (sold)
    Public link to Onedrive.com 6MT Files
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjZTWt7Mgp7SiVfliUkt64Ao6iSE

RAUDI- what did Meyle HD kit cost delivered? Does it include the HD outter tie rods and sway bar drop links with all the hardware, too?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    RAUDI- what did Meyle HD kit cost delivered? Does it include the HD outter tie rods and sway bar drop links with all the hardware, too?
    Yes yes yes
    hardware
    steel end links
    sway drops

I don't know exactly how much for shipping. It was a very large order. Probably around $40. The kit was about $745

Drc problem

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefo View Post
    Hi, I have owned the 03 RS6 for about a month or so. No problems so far just a couple of questions. I find the DRC to be somewhat noisy. Lots of clunking from front and back wheels especially when its cold. Its been freezing lately so that may be affecting it somewhat. Is this normal DRC behavior or is it possible the fluid is low on pressure or something of that nature. The warranty work was done in June 2011 approximately 7k miles ago. The car is leak free. The banging is bothering me a bit but I really did not start noticing it until it became bitter cold. I also got rid of the rear seat squeak by greasing the rear seat hinges which let my ears focus on the DRC noises. What is normal is my question. Otherwise the car is great.
    Hi gays i have same problem and can't fix before 2011 recall i don't have any sound or noise from DRC when i got recall service after that i still same problem when my car its cold DRC its noisy i am original owner the car recall serves dealer do 32,000ml on car if any place in LA area can't fix please help me. thank you.
    2003 RS6 Daytona Grey/Carbon Fiber
    RNS-E (US version) + Bluetooth
    RS6+ pedals

I am ordering a kit also. I know several parts are worn. Why replace it piece by piece. Any idea how much labor will be for the install from an independent? Job looks like more work than I am willing to take on at the moment. I guess the car will need a alignment after also?

I had FCP build a kit for me. They actually put it up on the web site: http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi...order-rs6cakit
    $722. Free Economy shipping.

I like to support shops that do R&D and product development. JHM doesn't have too much for our cars, but they do have the shifters that work for the manual swappers and lots of stuff for other VAG drivers. I think they designed some light weight rotors for us. For me a couple of extra bucks makes that worth it. I have never heard of FCP before right now. They might be doing all kinds of development and I just don't know.

I just noticed the FCP kit is an 8 piece and the one I got is the 12. That being said, I did not end up enjoying my transaction with JHM anywhere near as much as I had expected from other people's reviews. There isn't much to do about it though since we don't have the aftermarket support of a Civic or a Mustang we kind of have to deal with what we have. Hopefully the products will live up to the reputation better than their shipping and customer service did.