Thread: Paging TOZOM8.... Gear fluid leaking from front differential breather vent.

Paging TOZOM8.... Gear fluid leaking from front differential breather vent.

This past week, I've replaced the front passenger side axle flange seal twice. Gear fluid is still leaking from somewhere. I even thought the differential filler plug may be leaking since there was gear fluid above and around it as well. After further inspection, it appears the source of the leak is located above the axle heat shield... Possibly the differential vent/breather, which is located above the flange heat shield and below the turbo??? BTW, it is definitely gear lube (not tranny fluiid or engine oil).........

Anyone ever access this vent/breather with engine in (or just lowered?

Also, if TOZO doesn't respond, does someone know the number (or name) of his shop in Chicago?

Thanks.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Gabor.....I have his number if you need it. Can get it tonite

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Gabor.....I have his number if you need it. Can get it tonite
    Appreciate it!!!

Thanks!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

How much runout do you have with that flange? This might be your problem. If you can push up and down on it, then you have a bad bearing on the pass side of the front diff which needs to be replaced and then properly shimmed.

I PM'd you with Gabor's number and I'm sure that he will ask you this same question first, so hopefully you recall jiggling the flange. Otherwise, quickly reach up in there ans push up on the flange to see if it moves a lot.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Here's the other shot of the vent hole on the S6 transmission.

It looks like it was leaking from the vent hole, but The bearing was definitely shot with front diff fluid that looked like Hershey's syrup.

2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

That's a very interesting photo, Steve... The residual gear oil near the breather cap is perplexing. ....Soooo, the flange bearing was shot, causing diff fluid to leak from the flange seal, and eventually migrate upwards and directly ABOVE the heat shield (not in the pic.)

It sure looks like the breather/vent is discharging a oily residue! Does the base of the heat shield (where the 3 bolts attach it) fit flush against the differential? Or is there an opening between the shield and tranny for the fluid to be driven upward by the air wash?

Thanks for the chat and pics!

There is nothing - and I mean nothing else on top of the differential housing other than the vent. It would be obvious to be leaking from there as shown in the photo above by simply wiping your finger across the top. You are certain it's ATF fluid and not oil from the turbo?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	14809
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

He is saying he's certain it is gear oil (75w-90) from the front differential, not ATF from the tranny. But yes, it could be Engine oil. Was the front diff level low? If it is filled while the oil is cold and checked while warm it may seem a bit over full but if you check it while cold it should be level.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    He is saying he's certain it is gear oil (75w-90) from the front differential, not ATF from the tranny. But yes, it could be Engine oil. Was the front diff level low? If it is filled while the oil is cold and checked while warm it may seem a bit over full but if you check it while cold it should be level.
    It is absolutely gear oil... It was quite low before changing the flange seal and I topped it off afterwards---only to have it leaking (from somewhere) again. Turbo area and related lines are dry and tranny fluid level is spot on at 35C.

Gabor was saying he burned a nice hole in his hand and was taking a few days off, so maybe give some time if he doesn't answer right away. Let new know if you need email also...of course typing might be worse for him.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com