Thread: Parking the RS6 for a bit

Parking the RS6 for a bit

Well the time has come to move and take on a new job. I am moving to the LA area and didn't want to commute in the RS6 since it would have been my only car. Until I get things settled (and another parking place) I am going to park the RS6 for a little bit.

Are there anythings I should do to a car that will probably not be driven more than once a month?

My list so far
    - Replaced the trans fluid
    - Oil change
    - ACES IV for the gas
    - Maybe battery tender or just unplugging it

I plan to have my Dad, Sister or Brother In Law warm it up every month to keep the fluids going around.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

There is no reasoning for changing out your fluids unless it's sitting for an extensively long duration. Put a battery tender on it and let your family start it up every couple of months to let run for 10-15mins (or until operating temps for coolant and oil are reached).
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

You could always send it up to Pittsburgh.

I'll do a manual conversion and keep it warmed up for you.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

The fluids were mainly so it was far between service intervals and then I won't have to worry about the family bringing it in for service. I think someone will take it to work and back once a month (15-30 minutes each way).

Ha, my car could use a manual but the money spigot for it is going to be tightened a little since I won't be driving it. I think the next repair will still be intercoolers as I suspect mine are leaking a little.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

your tyres will get flat spots...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

i'll advocate for the "race ramps" tire storage chocks even though i don't have them, but i have bought there other products and they are really nice (amazing strength and quality)

Depends on the garage and how much moisture is inside. Given your climate this is the primary concern.

Worst poss conditions if the garage has lots of moisture every day.....add cold to warm daytime changes and then back to cold damp at night....worst possible situation for all mechanical components. Condensation will form inside all components and either rust or get absorbed into the oil.

The drive once a month should be good if the garage is dry. Tires could be ok but its not the end of the world. Asking family members to jack up the car every month when they drive it most likely aint gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    The fluids were mainly so it was far between service intervals and then I won't have to worry about the family bringing it in for service. I think someone will take it to work and back once a month (15-30 minutes each way).

Ha, my car could use a manual but the money spigot for it is going to be tightened a little since I won't be driving it. I think the next repair will still be intercoolers as I suspect mine are leaking a little.

Rian, you going to be around Wednesday the 29th? Gonna do the Seattle Boat show with a group, starting around noon, which involves Alcohol and end up at the German pub. Boat show and/or German pub if your interested.
    Also, if you want I can make room in the shop to store your car, the owner of the old Beetle Cabriolet is picking up his car this weekend. We could put it up on Blocks to keep the weight off the suspension and tires.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Stupid timing. I start my new job on the 27th so I am going to miss the boat show and beers... And I love boats. Also thanks a ton for the generous offer. Everyone here should know Mark is truly an awesome guy. My sister is going to store my car for me (she is a good person as well).

The garage is heated and dry so I don't think I will have too many issues with moisture. I did put the car cover on it for no real reason. My family is weird, they joke about driving the shit out of the car while I am gone but they are all so timid I wonder if they will do more than a warm up and grocery run in it.

Hopefully in the next six months or so I will have the space in CA for the RS6. It pained me to leave it tonight. Hopefully my new commuter won't be a drag (Mazda Speed3 for the curious).
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Stupid timing. I start my new job on the 27th so I am going to miss the boat show and beers... And I love boats. Also thanks a ton for the generous offer. Everyone here should know Mark is truly an awesome guy. My sister is going to store my car for me (she is a good person as well).

The garage is heated and dry so I don't think I will have too many issues with moisture. I did put the car cover on it for no real reason. My family is weird, they joke about driving the shit out of the car while I am gone but they are all so timid I wonder if they will do more than a warm up and grocery run in it.

Hopefully in the next six months or so I will have the space in CA for the RS6. It pained me to leave it tonight. Hopefully my new commuter won't be a drag (Mazda Speed3 for the curious).
    I couldn't imagine NOT having the opportunity to have your RS6 in CA with the "open" speed limits and the ability to bug out of LA.
    Also, drop into Raven Motorsports in Long Beach and see Ricardo and Matt, they can guide you towards a 6 speed conversion.

So now that you are convinced to drive it down:
    I - 5 south to Redding @ 12 hours if you are a law abiding citizen, 10 if not.
    SR 44 EAST - means going up up up! Cold dense air that the RS loves! Got winter tires?
    SR 89 Southish
    SR 36 EAST towards Susanville (yep, the same area I got a speeding ticket when moving out of CA to WA)
    395 South but watch your speed as 100MPH is too easy to breach!
    When you get to Indian Wells, you can continue on 395 OR take 14 directly to Magic Mountain, just north of LA
    If you take the 395, it dumps you off at I-15 and then take the I-10 to Santa Monica or the 405

Done, slam dunk
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks for the email, Rian. Thought I'd also quip in:

A fresh oil change will do it well especially for storage. Most oils has a low reserve alkalinity and it's never good to let acidic oil sit. Bad for seals. And doesn't protect very well from rusting due to condensation. The oil i use especially helps prevent these problems (I will refrain from oil bashing or naming names in public).

If the engine is run it should be driven, not just idled or revved. These engines are cold blooded due to the large oil cooler. If driven, 20 minutes or more is ideal, preferably on the freeway. Good for the driveline too. If shorter trips are taken ("grocery store runs") it's iffy at that point, from my experience. I'd rather the car just sit longer waiting for a proper drive.

In general those that start engines too often cause more harm than good. Have an A4 on premises that was a victim of that "process".

The 3rd worst thing we can do to an engine is start it......

The trans service will never hurt. I've been doing mine every year or so. Working on a ATF blend that's to my liking....

If it's driven every month or two and the tires are in good current condition, shouldn't be any issue. I normally add a bit more air to keep tires from sagging (one of my vehicles is going on 2 years and another 12yrs), plus some other long term projects.

I would not jack the car up unless for very long term (years) storage. With the Audi suspension there seems to be a lot of bushing twist at full droop. I'd want to avoid that. I abhorr jack-stands; they are potentially unsafe. They put tremendous pressure in a small area, and often damage under bodies (including the underbody coatings). Don't do it for the sake of the car.......

I also recommend against disconnecting the battery (it will still lose voltage). The DME/ECU internal memory battery will likely die that supports KAM (Keep Alive Memory) needed for base operational functions. Among other things. A battery tender/charger will probably be needed going past 3-4 weeks of sitting for reliable starting. In general it takes a minium of 20 minutes run time (again preferably driving) to keep a battery charged.

Hope that might help coming from a pro car guy......

Happy travels down south!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Good advice G2, I have always believed to be true what you said, thou I never elaborated so punctually, are you a trained mechanic, or an engineer? Just curious...

Thanks for the comments Jimmy Joe. Sometimes essential info isn't the most intuitive in logic....

Yes, I am both a pro auto tech and an ex-engineer (bicycles). I own and operate a European auto repair shop, where both skills are put to good use.

However, while I know many things, there's always something new to learn. That keeps it fun.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Hey, at least we are (eventually?) gaining another RS6 back to So Cal!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Dang it, Rian, I'm sorry I missed you at the last GTG at Feierabend! Happy trails, and don't be the proverbial stranger!
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    Dang it, Rian, I'm sorry I missed you at the last GTG at Feierabend! Happy trails, and don't be the proverbial stranger!
    I am sorry I missed you as well, things happened very quickly with the holidays and everything. I am now in Cali, limping along with wireless internet until one of the broadband companies decides they actually want my money (nothing is ever easy).

I went with the race ramps but I am not too worried about flat spots. Hopefully I can scout out a parking spot down here when I am not too bust moving in. The parking spot I have is so tight that even the Mazda barely fits so I am not even sure the Audi would make it. I almost have bought a padding for the post because I know one morning I am going to brain fart and hit the thing.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Seahawks!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared