Thread: Rear wheel bearing help needed.

Rear wheel bearing help needed.

Hi all. I had ordered a rear wheel bearing from AutohausAZ. As I'm in the process of replacing it, I've realized I may have the wrong part.

Below is a pic. The stepped portion of the inside is slightly narrower that the old one I took off. Part # on the box says 4d0-407-625e
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Did you finally get this sorted, Kyle?...

I am still chasing a passenger-side axle flange oil leak... Looks like I will be replacing the axle flange assembly due to a slight grove on the seal mating surface of the flange.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

4.2crew

Can you post your VMR wheel details, tire size and a couple of fitment pics?

Im considering the v702 in et33 19x9.5 in gunmetal. I'm between 265/35 or 255/35

This to go on my Avus car so your pics would be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post

I am still chasing a passenger-side axle flange oil leak... Looks like I will be replacing the axle flange assembly due to a slight grove on the seal mating surface of the flange.

That's the right part number for the bearing but I haven't had to swap mine out "Yet" so I haven't seen the bearing yet. Put the bearing part # in Google and do a search then look at the images that come up. Some of them look like your new bearing.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Hey Greg. Ya I've got it sorted. That flange inside the bearing is narrower than the original. I measured the hub flange and it measured out fine, so I just pressed everything back together. Works fine.

Now my problem is, the reverberating humming noise is still there. So I replaced the wrong bearing. Great.

It makes more noise as the left side of the car is loaded, so I it has to be the front left right. There's obviously a new bearing in the left rear.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    4.2crew

Can you post your VMR wheel details, tire size and a couple of fitment pics?

Im considering the v702 in et33 19x9.5 in gunmetal. I'm between 265/35 or 255/35

This to go on my Avus car so your pics would be helpful

DHall1: Here ya go...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...ion?highlight=

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...led?highlight=

Kyle:

I feel your pain!...... Similar issues here with the axle flange leak.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Sheet

I missed both those threads from 2012.

So my effective backspace is 3mm more than what you have. If I run that same PSS in 265/35....is there enough steering knuckle clearance?

I like that hyper silver against the Avus. Still i dont think the gunmetal is too dark and would be a nice contrast to the Avus. I have oem RS4 wheels in silver now....and those are going on the Daytona after the coilovers are installed next week. Just looking for alittle contrast on both cars.

So my effective backspace is 3mm more than what you have. If I run that same PSS in 265/35....is there enough steering knuckle clearance?
    If I recall, you'll probably be fine with that inboard clearance..... With my set-up, occasionally a tire/fender rub will occur in the rear---but also I'm lowered about 1" in front and 1.25" in back.

I like that hyper silver against the Avus. Still i dont think the gunmetal is too dark and would be a nice contrast to the Avus. I have oem RS4 wheels in silver now....and those are going on the Daytona after the coilovers are installed next week. Just looking for alittle contrast on both cars.
    Agreed! The hyper silver accentuates and ties to the the brushed aluminum on the mirrors and window trim.... The gun metal would be my second and equal choice as well for a slightly different "look."

Another pic...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-7-13 284.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	14795

The front wheel bearings are and can be VERY noisy. Usually a bit loose, but have also seen them get tighter. Ask How I know.....but was so thankful it wasn't the f.diff carrier bearing going out- phew.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    The front wheel bearings are and can be VERY noisy. Usually a bit loose, but have also seen them get tighter. Ask How I know.....but was so thankful it wasn't the f.diff carrier bearing going out- phew.
    I don't want to thread jack, but I think this is close enough to the same issue.. My RS6 makes a bit of a hum/drone noise while cruising, most noticeably around 65-70mph, and it sounds like its coming from the front right side. I've also noticed that it gets louder when I turn the wheel to the right (ie take a corner to the right), and fades when turning a corner to the left (if I turn the wheel past a certain point it disappears entirely). Does it sound like this could be a wheel bearing issue? That had been my first thought but with the change in sound based on steering wheel position I'm not so sure.. Anyone experience this or have any input?
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    I don't want to thread jack, but I think this is close enough to the same issue.. My RS6 makes a bit of a hum/drone noise while cruising, most noticeably around 65-70mph, and it sounds like its coming from the front right side. I've also noticed that it gets louder when I turn the wheel to the right (ie take a corner to the right), and fades when turning a corner to the left (if I turn the wheel past a certain point it disappears entirely). Does it sound like this could be a wheel bearing issue? That had been my first thought but with the change in sound based on steering wheel position I'm not so sure.. Anyone experience this or have any input?
    It is most likely the wheel bearing, but sounds like the opposite side from your description. Same thing happened to my dad in his '05 A6. Started as a noise when turning left, no noise turning right. Noise during a left turn should mean that the right side bearing is getting stressed under load, and it goes away on a right turn because you're loading the opposite side. He had it done at the dealership because it was still under warranty. Otherwise, I would have done them both, because the left will go eventually, might as well do both and be done for a few years.

Okay thanks bmlee, I'll look into it further. Does anyone have the part number for the front wheel bearings? I'll probably do both like you suggested.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Okay thanks bmlee, I'll look into it further. Does anyone have the part number for the front wheel bearings? I'll probably do both like you suggested.
    Audi part number is 8E0498625B

I plugged it into google and found this on amazon, I may get a pair now even though I don't need them at the moment.

http://www.amazon.com/Timken-512305-...1&s=automotive

There are some well priced bearings on eBay too.
    I just did one of mine last weekend. I ended up going with the Audi part from genuine for a bit more money, because it came with the hardware & I needed some other bolts. To do this by the book you need a new axle bolt, 4 bearing mounting bolts, the upper link pinch bolt, and two caliper bolts. All are ostensibly one time use, though of course the odds of a catastrophic failure due to reusing them are not that high. In the case of the pinch bolt there's a decent chance of breaking it while removing it so personally I'd have that one on hand, and there's no way I'd reuse an axle bolt...

Also, on the subject of front wheel bearings (thread title notwithstanding), these tools make it an easy job:

SIR B90

ATD 3056