Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2003 RS6 Build Sheet with Dyno Results

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post

This is not my car. It from a car on Fluid Motor Union's website. I don't have the oil catch can. I might get one but not right now. But the same set up. I think it's sexier than the Apikol's intake. The filters are inclosed in the carbon fibre housings left and right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs6_matt13.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	14738

I spoke to 517 Transmissions today. I asked about 571ftlbs. He said that the transmission is built to hold 650ftlbs.

(If) the transmission holds that much...what are the next parts to break....axle shafts?

I am curious because I am ready to do some 1/4 mile runs soon.

571lb/ft at the wheels, which is roughly 685 at the trans. Be careful.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    571lb/ft at the wheels, which is roughly 685 at the trans. Be careful.
    Oh, shite!! I didn't even think of that when speaking to 517 Transmissions today.. Well these kinds of issue I dig!

So how much is the full price 6 speed swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    Oh, shite!! I didn't even think of that when speaking to 517 Transmissions today.. Well these kinds of issue I dig!

So how much is the full price 6 speed swap?
    $10k for the swap.....just because it "handles 650" doesn't mean it will hold hundreds of hard shifts over a year. The auto trans can only be built up so much, clutch packs are very small. Will be fun while it lasts! Haven't taken apart my current trans, but it broke after 6 months with the strongest clutch packs you can get, but it could just be a seal or o-ring for all I know...I did put the hammer down a good amount!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Ok, not to keep harping on this, but....your tune needs more HP and less TQ.

Torque will always run out by 4,500-5,000 and HP pulls you after that. I'll dig up my Dyno sheets, and it felt like perfection to have the HP keep rising late in the power band.

Seems these guys are tuning for the "off the line power" that feels impressive but lacks top end...all too common.

1-back off boost

2-put it later in the power band

3-add more timing (ask them to log timing at 4,500k in 3rd, there's your power!) You better have 12-15 degrees.

Each to their own, but this tune will shred the 517 trans, and force you into a heavier 6 speed manual clutch that won't be easy to drive, again I'm an auto box guy so some preference in making that work.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Because dyno numbers between different machines vary widely, you can't rely on just numbers here. Physics will speak and a run on the track will tell you what you ultimately have ended up with. The Dyno should be used only as a guide for tuning purposes to establish a base point and end point to work towards.

Also, not to piss on the parade, but I personally don't believe you will recognize the full potential of aftermarket turbos & injectors that you have put all this $$ in without improving the archiles heel which is the headers. The headers have numerous constrictions that will continue to rob you of power potential. Can't get the spent gases out, you can't push any more in....

Looking forward to seeing how all your work turns out when put in to action.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I asked Tony yesterday for a little bit more clarification on the tune and the wide difference in HP and TQ. Here is his response:

"Chris,

Its just "what the car wanted". Its a combination of intake air temp control, limit of boost vs timing to ensure zero knock.. ect. Fairly standard practice honestly. You MAY have been able to run a little more boost if you want 50/50 water and meth, but then we would have had to run less timing. You may have been able to run more boost if we were on 93 octane....but then you would always have to run 93.

Basically the tune is very optimized for the conditions we are in. I cant wait for you to drive it!

-Tony"

It all is an ongoing project. Plus just because I have monster torque doesn't mean I will abuse. I'm fifty years old now....not 23.

I actually spoke to Scott of Advanced Automotion today just for feelers. I am sick of car projects though. I am ready to drive.

I posted this before.

You will be veddy happy with how this drives. Dont dwell on the numbers so much as how it drives.

Everything Tony says is correct.....that crap gas is the worst. Run the Aces and max it for your conditions. Not the guy in abcdefg running abcdefg gas with who knows what else.

Drive it and report.

I asked Tony yesterday for a little bit more clarification on the tune and the wide difference in HP and TQ. Here is his response:

"Chris,

Its just "what the car wanted". Its a combination of intake air temp control, limit of boost vs timing to ensure zero knock.. ect. Fairly standard practice honestly. You MAY have been able to run a little more boost if you want 50/50 water and meth, but then we would have had to run less timing. You may have been able to run more boost if we were on 93 octane....but then you would always have to run 93.

Basically the tune is very optimized for the conditions we are in. I cant wait for you to drive it!

-Tony"

It all is an ongoing project. Plus just because I have monster torque doesn't mean I will abuse. I'm fifty years old now....not 23.

I actually spoke to Scott of Advanced Automotion today just for feelers. I am sick of car projects though. I am ready to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Dont dwell on the numbers so much as how it drives. Drive it and report.
    Words well spoken. To give you a baseline, I had one of my beasts here dyno'd and it spat out a 365lbs wtq. Obviously a far cry from what your tuner is citing at 570+wtq.... That number known, this car layed down an 11.7 quarter mile. Knowing the laws of physics, you can quickly realize that the numbers don't reflect real world performance which goes hand in parcel with number deltas between different machines. I'm eager to see just what kind of performance you are getting as I'm sure others with agressive tunes & mods are.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Thanks guys, I will report back as soon as I get seat time!!

backpressure

Hi,
    If you change your exhaust manifold, you'll get a lot more horsepower!

I have measured exhaust back pressure in my stock manifold with stock RS6 turbos, here you have first with low boost and then with high boost, look at that high backpressure !?

RPM Turbo Boost Backpressure
    bar bar
    2200 0,31 0,32
    2500 0,41 0,39
    3000 0,48 0,45
    3500 0,50 0,53
    4000 0,52 0,63
    4500 0,54 0,75
    5000 0,53 0,92
    5500 0,55 1,00
    6000 0,57 1,08
    6500 0,60 = 8,7psi 1,05 = 15,2psi
    High boost
    2000 0,27 0,28
    2500 0,50 0,57
    2900 0,81 0,90
    4500 1,11 1,61
    5000 1,15 2,06
    5500 1,11 2,16
    6000 1,11 2,20
    6500 1,15 2,16
    7000 1,28 = 18psi 2,19 = 32psi

I would love to replace my exhaust manifolds with something else mo better- That air insulator design is a time bomb for turbo lunch- ;(

The below isn't mine but the oldies on here know I had a similar failure

210K miles rolled

Group order custom exhaust manifolds? Who's got this?

Luckily my stockers looked fine at 90k...swapped for some with 30k just to be sure...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post

Luckily my stockers looked fine at 90k...swapped for some with 30k just to be sure...
    GB on exhaust manifold....I'm in. I saw someone on here had one for sale a while back. I think it was made in Europe.

Anyone know who makes one of high quality and known performance gains?

As with B5 and 2.7, there's plenty of power to be had with the stock exhaust manifolds. IMO, any gain to be had won't be worth the hassle.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

GB on exhaust manifold....I'm in. I saw someone on here had one for sale a while back. I think it was made in Europe.

Anyone know who makes one of high quality and known performance gains?
    I inquired with MTM a few months ago and received the below reply:

"We did have a run of manifolds made for the C5 RS6 but unfortunately we have sold out and the supplier is no longer in business so we are unable to get any more sets fabricated."

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post

I would be interested in a GB. I have a set of manifolds sitting on da shelf (of course the innards are lil worn). I would be happy to donate them to the cause if they would help in design/build.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    As with B5 and 2.7, there's plenty of power to be had with the stock exhaust manifolds. IMO, any gain to be had won't be worth the hassle.
    I'm mainly interested in the manifolds not coming apart and destroying turbos. Any power gain would be secondary.
    210K miles rolled

Here is what I found a while back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn3184.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	14758

http://www.mrctuning.com/index.php?o...=59#drivetrain

These look nice...for what that's worth.

Not worth $2700.00+