Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car not running well/no codes

Car not running well/no codes

Well the inevitable happened and my RS6 left me stranded on the way home from Christmas as the parents. I was on the freeway about to do a pass and when I pressed the gas the car hesitated and almost died. At first I thought the torque converter gave out since I could hardly get any power down but when I went to start it to get it on the tow truck the car barely started.

I towed it to my sister's and when I checked the codes, as crazy as it sounds, there are no faults for the engine or the transmission. It takes a lot to get it started and you have to press the gas to keep it going. Smells really rich. My guess is the fuel pressure regulator but it is really a guess.

Any thoughts from the experts here?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Could be several things. But one experience of mine comes to mind after I did some work that required the removal of the air filter box. I didn't re-seat the MAFs fully into the turbo intakes and after a couple of days it did the same thing as yours. Ran really rough.

I hope it's going to be something as simple as that.

First thing that I would be looking at is a bad TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Second to that I would be a fuel pressure regulator. Look for obvious things with your hoses not being sealed and not leaking also. Check things out yourself by removing the airbox, removing the MAF's from the airbox, and then seating them in to the downpipes. You can run and drive this car without the airbox on it as long as you address the sealing of the MAF's. Once you get the car started, check for vacuum leaks. Wiggle around the MAF's. They should drastically change your idle if air is escaping past the seal and in to the inlet pipe. There shouldn't be a strong fuel smell obviously.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Probably out of gas...or a clogged fuel filter...nearly everything else will give you a code...Check fuel system first...
    2013 Audi S8

Fuel starvation

Check fuel pressure first

Then work back from there to the tank

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Probably out of gas...or a clogged fuel filter...nearly everything else will give you a code...Check fuel system first...

I wanted to state the obvious about lack of fuel based upon your description, but then you cite there being a strong fuel odor. Can't have that when you have no fuel. Car requires the 4 basics to run. Fuel (open gas cap, rock car, and listen for slushing sound - do not rely on fuel gauge), air (self explanitory), compression/vacuum (operate in a pair), and finally spark. All the items that supports transporting or monitoring any one of these items should toss an error code as ttboost mentions.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I did check the airbox just to see if it had popped off or something. My last fill up was 78 miles ago so there is gas, who knows about the quality of that gas. I replaced the fuel pump in the tank when I did Audi replaced the gas tank but I didn't replace the high pressure tank. The fuel filter has unknown miles on it so replacing both that and the spark plugs sound just like good maintenance things.

Hopefully I can get the parts before the new year and go down and work on it over the holiday.

Seems so odd to me that the car barely starts let alone runs and there are no codes.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

If the fuel odor is strong under the hood, the I would also check fuel pressure lines (both supply and return) for leaks. Leaking hose reduces pressure to the fuel rail and will create fuel starvation which your description supports.

Sorry to hear of your trouble. Some good advice has already been given. My tidbit, try un-plulgging your MAF's and see if it runs, I've gotten many broke down B5's to run temporarily by doing this. It won't solve your problem but will allow you to move your car around easier until it's fixed.

Personally, I would have my car towed to Redmond European or U-Audi and let them fix it. (My car goes to AMD but it's 'SPECIAL') ;-)

Good luck!
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps

I can almost guarantee he just has a major boost leak. Try checking your intercooler hoses. Unplug your mafs and if your car idles fine it's a hose that has popped off somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Avus-RS6 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your trouble. Some good advice has already been given. My tidbit, try un-plulgging your MAF's and see if it runs, I've gotten many broke down B5's to run temporarily by doing this. It won't solve your problem but will allow you to move your car around easier until it's fixed.

Personally, I would have my car towed to Redmond European or U-Audi and let them fix it. (My car goes to AMD but it's 'SPECIAL') ;-)

Good luck!
    Seattle was outside of my 100 mile towing Interesting last time my hose popped off it actually ran fine still just not too much power. When that happened I replaced all the hoses with silicon hoses and the constant torque clamps. It would be great if the hose coming off is the issue.

My sister happens to have a lift as well as a garage to park my car so I will get the car on the lift and check things out when I go back south. The car needs new plugs, fuel filter, intercoolers, and little service things that I can do while I am down there.

Also thanks for coming to the rescue everyone. This board is a big help for me and many others.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Your sister has a lift in the garage? Get out

Source up a fuel pressure gauge test kit before you go down. There is a nipple/port on the fuel rail to tie it in. That should be the first check. Then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Seattle was outside of my 100 mile towing Interesting last time my hose popped off it actually ran fine still just not too much power. When that happened I replaced all the hoses with silicon hoses and the constant torque clamps. It would be great if the hose coming off is the issue.

My sister happens to have a lift as well as a garage to park my car so I will get the car on the lift and check things out when I go back south. The car needs new plugs, fuel filter, intercoolers, and little service things that I can do while I am down there.

Also thanks for coming to the rescue everyone. This board is a big help for me and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Your sister has a lift in the garage? Get out.
    My wife has a lift in her garage...I get to use it too...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    My wife has a lift in her garage...I get to use it too...
    She has a different garage than you??

Yeah, she bought a new house that had a crazy garage. The house has a two car garage too. Her husband has a Packard that he works on but pretty much it is just my dad's car there. It is nice because there is so much room to store cars there and they don't mind me using it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000286.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	14533

Something like this?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

That's awesome! Good job sis

Yep, you can pick one up at autozone too

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    Yeah, she bought a new house that had a crazy garage. The house has a two car garage too. Her husband has a Packard that he works on but pretty much it is just my dad's car there. It is nice because there is so much room to store cars there and they don't mind me using it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_000286.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	14533

Something like this?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-injection-pump-tester-92699.html

Pretty sweet setup your sis has Chung...My house has 2 car up, 1 car under and I just built a 6 car addition, 3 doors in front, 1 in the center in the rear...14' ceilings...radiant heat in the floor... handy for doing stuff...Can't wait to figure out what my new project is...
    2013 Audi S8

Unplug the MAF's for starters...easy and cheap.