Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Car not running well/no codes

Rian, when you head down south I have a fuel pressure tester set. Not sure if there are all the fittings but you can probably make it work. Any other tools you need to borrow let me know. I can probably bring them into work and meet you somewhere off I-5 so you don't have to come out and listen to the neighbors with Banjos.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks Mark. I am going to take the train down so I will probably just stop at an Autozone when I get there. I tend to buy the tool I need and leave it for my brother inlaw to help out getting more tools.

It is amazing some of the garages the members have here. Mark's garage has the trifecta, space, tools, and someone who knows what they are doing.

ttboost, if you need a project I can send you my car, it needs a manual transmission (maybe more)
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Ha..you aren't the first to ask...
    2013 Audi S8

I'm putting my money on boost leak. Never had this happen to my RS6 but it happened ALL the time with my '91 Skyline GT-R and the symptoms were identical. The MAFs read X amount of air and injects the requisite amount of fuel, but with the air leaking and not reaching the engine, you end up choking the engine with too much fuel and it will barely run.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Yes. this exact thing happened to me while I was 600 miles from home. I gunned it and car died. Would start back up and then die. Could only get car to run if I played with the gas pedal. Got to a gas station. Car smelled like fuel. Found upper intercooler hose was completely off the intercooler. 5 min fix. Hope it's as easy for the OP

I've had upper IC hoses come off (usually at the track and I can't get them back on)..Car runs and drives fine, just won't boost...
    2013 Audi S8

And the winner seems to be the fuel filter. I checked the hoses and they were all on snug. Replaced the fuel filter and it started right up and ran great for the last 30 or so miles. Next up the 200 mile journey home.

Thanks for all the help, the people here rock.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Hats off to ttboost as well. He hit it too.

Glad it was a simple repair.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Fuel starvation

Check fuel pressure first

Then work back from there to the tank

Good news. Remain unclear on why you would have a strong fuel odour with a poor performing fuel filter, but as long as you've fixed the problem.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Glad you found the cause and that it was a simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Good news. Remain unclear on why you would have a strong fuel odour with a poor performing fuel filter, but as long as you've fixed the problem.
    I am not sure about that either. Maybe my brain was making things up.

I really hope the problem is fixed. When I got there yesterday the car would only sort of run and I coasted it on to the lift. After the fuel filter replacement it ran like a champ again.

Time to add the fuel filter into the things I regularly make sure I do. It is not the easiest thing to replace for the mechanically challenged like myself but by far not the hardest part to replace on the car.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    And the winner seems to be the fuel filter. I checked the hoses and they were all on snug. Replaced the fuel filter and it started right up and ran great for the last 30 or so miles. Next up the 200 mile journey home.

Thanks for all the help, the people here rock.
    Can't ask for anything "better". Replace my fuel filter every year-- it's far too small. My old Scirocco has a filter 2-3X bigger......
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    I am not sure about that either. Maybe my brain was making things up.

I really hope the problem is fixed. When I got there yesterday the car would only sort of run and I coasted it on to the lift. After the fuel filter replacement it ran like a champ again.

Time to add the fuel filter into the things I regularly make sure I do. It is not the easiest thing to replace for the mechanically challenged like myself but by far not the hardest part to replace on the car.
    I think you were right: when there's not enough fuel to support combustion it gets pumped out the exhaust. Hence the fuel smell. What some call a lean mis-fire (for a barely running engine). Took me awhile to figure that out in the real world, but tech school helped. Too rich or too lean= gas smell.

Fuel filter replacement is a pain even on a lift. Disconnect it at the fuel pump and remove filter and the supply hose that crosses over the fuel tank. Replace the hoses with new if hardened to ensure good sealing and hose splitting.

It's likely the fuel pump is on it's way out, and if not, the "dead-heading" of the pump sure speed that process up. The pump to filter pressue is excessive. Consider replacing the filter again in 3-6 months as the residual contamination will likely stark packing up the new filter. I noticed this in my car during it's first servicing.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

And this is why I'm going to replace my external with a Bosch and mount it differently under there to ease future filter changes.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Great thread, glad you go your car going again! I'm going to have mine changed yearly. I tend to do 21-22 gallon fill ups so I know mine will need it.
    2001 S4 Avant 6mt: AMD tuned, Stasis Streetsports.
    2003 RS6 Sedan 6mt: AMD tuned, 515awhp/635awtq, PSS9's, 4:1 Diff
    2006 Carrera S 6mt: EvoMS tuned, Sharkwerkes Exhaust, Numeric shifter, Fuchs Reps