Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Board & RS6 Ownership

New to Board & RS6 Ownership

Hello from Tulsa:
    Just purchased 03 RS6 out of NJ with 24k miles. Prior owner seems to be very good with keeping up with the cars scheduled maintenance and recalls. Amazingly the receipts add up to over 20k although $7,900 was warranty (Recall 20L8 Service) not sure yet what that was. Car is still in route to me but I have some of the records. Attached are a partial list of work done on car Tried to include relevant items. I was wondering what jumps out to experienced owners and what will need to be done in the near future? Kind of jumped before looking on the car before really understanding the maintenance reputation of the RS6. Transmission fluid change? The Audi service advisor rated the car as the cleanest/best services example he has ever seen but I have yet to lay eyes on it or drive a Audi much less a RS6. My expectations are sky high though. I will turn my own wrench for the most part when it is possible for a novice mechanic to do a job. I read a tread on what a new owner will need. I liked the tip on using an oil extractor to change oil.

Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

April 27, 2006 5,860 $52.95 Perform 25K Miles Service/Change Oil/Fluids/Filter
    December 20, 2006 7,245 $229.35 Complete Service-Fluids/Filters/Lights/Wipers
    May 9, 2007 7,895 N/C 45K Service-Oil Filter/Fluids
    December 7, 2007 10,020 $239.73 Change Oil/Filter/Check Brakes
    May 7, 2008 10,799 $223.19 Change Oil/Filter/Fluids
    November 19, 2008 12,310 $205.49 Change Oil/Rotate Tires
    April 9, 2009 13,095 $281.99 Brake Fluid Flush
    August 21, 2009 14,350 $171.15 Suspension Recall-Replace DRH Shocks/Charge System
    March 10, 2010 15,458 $447.48 Change Oil & Filters/Fluids/Tire Pressure
    November 22, 2010 17,046 $296.80 Change Oil & Filters/Fluids/Tire Pressure
    April 5, 2011 17,720 $3,779.83 Belt Service and Tune Up. Pump and Rollers install
    June 30, 2011 18,208 N/C Recall 20L8 Service
    July 19, 2012 20,986 $1,125.67 Tune Up & Oil Change
    March 19, 2013 22,560 $3,999.47 Brake Pads & Caliper Mounts / Oil Change

2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

The second category in is?

With your lower VIN number, keep and eye on the Torque Convertor and potential trans issues related to that. It seems to be a mixed bag on changing the fluid in an old trans. Some say leave it to let the sludgy fluid help the clutch contact, others fresh fluid for better function. I had my TC go out at 87k, new one and new fluid, trans went at 94k as it was probably damaged since the car was driven with the bad TC.

Get a scan cable and software, ross-tech.com, invaluable in diagnosing issues, and great for logging data if you want to tune down the road.

Better brake pads if you have stock...

Max will give you the official greeting, it's a bit of a ride but this car is amazing...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

^As promised...

Welcome aboard the..

210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    ^As promised...

Welcome aboard the..

Right on cue! This slogan becomes truer every month of ownership....but damn if she's not worth it!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I fixed it for you....

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefo View Post
    Amazingly the receipts add up to over 20k
    Peanuts. I have a folder that is over an inch thick with $50K worth of repairs over the past 10 years.....Hope you have some decent cash flow and/or a big wallet. J/K. Enjoy your ride.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Starting to reconsider the use of the RS6 as a daily driver.
    2001 M5 / Missed Dearly - 1995 993 Porsche / Missed - 2004 996 Porsche / Not Missed - 1999 M3 / Not Missed - 2001 MCoupe / Recently Departed - 2003 RS6 - Current

I bought mine 4/10. So I've been driving her the better part of 3 years minus Afghanistan. I've had very little issues with her and have put a lot of miles on her. Bought her at 67k and she's at 145k now. Just had her up to 188 this weekend and could have gone higher. What have I paid for? Tune, t-belts, rnse, pss9's, hotchkis, tires, PC rims, control arms. Unfortunately buying this car is just like buying any other car, some have problems. Could I spend more on her? Sure. I want wagners, 6-speed, bigger snails, nicer rims. But I can beat most things on the road, and surprise the snot out of quite a few bikes. Money well spent I say.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Starting to reconsider the use of the RS6 as a daily driver.
    DD here, but I only drive 10-20 miles per day....it's the 12mpg average I get around the city that can add up too.

Been in the shop about a month or so on average each year (although just a few days this one, knocking on wood), so I have a backup car, or just get a rental for $20 per day. Easy right?...sorta...

Starting to consider the use of the RS6 as a daily driver.
    ^^^fixed

It is a car MEANT to be driven, not to be sitting in the garage rotting away...

The RS6 is only happy in boost.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I Daily Drive the RS6. No worries here.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Oh Ben

My garage queen still sees 5k a year and its Lexus reliable. Zero issues the last 6 years.

My DD has been a different story but now that the trans is fixed its golden.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    ^^^fixed

I daily drive the RS6 also. Alternate between two of them in fact.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Nice list of prev cars. I think you will fit right in here.

What is the VIN? last 6. EDIT: Got your VIN from the other thread. Middle VIN, I will check the list to see if I have any other info on it.

Early VIN has issues with transmissions even at low mileages.

At your miles....if its an early VIN....I would buy a 4/48 service contract. It will be reasonable do to the low miles. I can almost give you even money that a trans is in your future. Would I still own the car? Hell yes.

Hello from Tulsa:
    Just purchased 03 RS6 out of NJ with 24k miles. Prior owner seems to be very good with keeping up with the cars scheduled maintenance and recalls. Amazingly the receipts add up to over 20k although $7,900 was warranty (Recall 20L8 Service) not sure yet what that was. Car is still in route to me but I have some of the records. Attached are a partial list of work done on car Tried to include relevant items. I was wondering what jumps out to experienced owners and what will need to be done in the near future? Kind of jumped before looking on the car before really understanding the maintenance reputation of the RS6. Transmission fluid change? The Audi service advisor rated the car as the cleanest/best services example he has ever seen but I have yet to lay eyes on it or drive a Audi much less a RS6. My expectations are sky high though. I will turn my own wrench for the most part when it is possible for a novice mechanic to do a job. I read a tread on what a new owner will need. I liked the tip on using an oil extractor to change oil.

Any tips will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

April 27, 2006 5,860 $52.95 Perform 25K Miles Service/Change Oil/Fluids/Filter
    December 20, 2006 7,245 $229.35 Complete Service-Fluids/Filters/Lights/Wipers
    May 9, 2007 7,895 N/C 45K Service-Oil Filter/Fluids
    December 7, 2007 10,020 $239.73 Change Oil/Filter/Check Brakes
    May 7, 2008 10,799 $223.19 Change Oil/Filter/Fluids
    November 19, 2008 12,310 $205.49 Change Oil/Rotate Tires
    April 9, 2009 13,095 $281.99 Brake Fluid Flush
    August 21, 2009 14,350 $171.15 Suspension Recall-Replace DRH Shocks/Charge System
    March 10, 2010 15,458 $447.48 Change Oil & Filters/Fluids/Tire Pressure
    November 22, 2010 17,046 $296.80 Change Oil & Filters/Fluids/Tire Pressure
    April 5, 2011 17,720 $3,779.83 Belt Service and Tune Up. Pump and Rollers install
    June 30, 2011 18,208 N/C Recall 20L8 Service
    July 19, 2012 20,986 $1,125.67 Tune Up & Oil Change
    March 19, 2013 22,560 $3,999.47 Brake Pads & Caliper Mounts / Oil Change

Last edited by DHall1; December 17th, 2013 at 19:39.

Ok, I am interested in the low vin = transmission issues. Is that that the torque converter is the problem. Should I have it fixed preventively?

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post

YUP! Agreed, Ben...

Mine is DD and a work'n girl:

20+ bags of mulch...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	14497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	14498
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Ok, I am interested in the low vin = transmission issues. Is that that the torque converter is the problem. Should I have it fixed preventively?
    Saw you mentioned 'novice mechanic', just thought you might want an idea what you're getting yourself into here.
    Replacing the TC "preventatively" is IMHO, a good idea on a lower VIN car, but it's a lot of work.
    First, look up "Service Position" - if you want to turn wrenches, get into the habit, and learn the quick way to do a full engine pull...
    If you're lucky enough to have the right kind of space (larger enclosed garage), and an engine hoist, you should be able to get it into service position in ~6 hours on the first try, less time after that as you get more practice.
    Check out ACE for the Torque converter, built to handle the abuse of 700hp from 2k-6600rpm engine speed. Parts should run, what, ~$2k-2500?
    Count yourself very lucky getting such a low mileage example. Once the TC starts to go, it tends to grenade the trans (~$3500/rebuild or ~$7k replacement)
    While you've got it apart, if you're feeling cheeky and don't mind screwing with it, there's plenty to do while it's in service position... I built a list of services planned for the inevitable wallet-crushing moment for myself:

1) Splash Guard - Sportec vent mod (dremeled channel across the front of the splash guard with angle aluminum to allow airflow but not water/dirt up into the engine compartment. Total cost if you still have a splash guard: ~$20 worth of materials and a couple hours of labor
    2) Wagner IC's/Hoses/Shrouds - beefier intercoolers, better piping, better airflow across the IC for more consistent power in higher temps (you're in Oklahoma, I'd very much recommend this). Total cost ~$2k + labor (requires bumper removal, and you'll lose your fog lights)
    3) While you're in service position, you might as well take care of a few things with the engine. Generally accepted repairs at service position time:
    Timing Belt/Water Pump/Tensioner Rollers/etc... - the kit runs ~$700 and will be an extra 3-4 hours labor in service position - strictly done at least once every 35k miles. If you drive it hard, reduce to 30k intervals. If you drive like the typical RS6 owner, reduce to 25k miles just to be safe
    Alternator / Alternator Diode - the Diode fails far more often than the alternator itself. Either _can_ be replaced without the engine out, but it's a tight fit, big hassle.
    O2 sensors - if they haven't gone south recently, plan for them to do so soon. Can't recall the list price off the top of my head, but get at 'em while the engine is in service position to save a whole lot of trouble
    Gasket check - every seal, every gasket, everywhere. Pinhole leaks are a pretty common occurence, and you don't want to mix coolant into the crankcase. Full seal kit runs ~$350. Lots of labor, but worth it to save the engine!
    3b) While you're in service position, take some time to do other stuff with the engine that can net you some gains at minimal expense.
    You don't need headers (unless you're doing a full custom turbo job, stage 3 tune, all that jazz) - I recommend wrapping the exhaust manifolds from the heads to the pre-cats, and possibly back to the secondary cats.
    Turbos in good shape? Check lines and be sure you're not collecting oil in the lower bent tube. Assuming everything is still sealed up tight, turbo blankets will help you get your heat down the pipe instead of letting it soak the engine bay
    While we're talking about heat - check out your EGT's - fairly common occurence with these is the solder joint from the thermocouple wire to the board cracking and causing EGT signal loss. Pop open the body of the Sensor, if there's any doubt to the solidity of the solder joint, flux that stuff off and re-solder, cover with dilectric grease, close it up and enjoy another 50k miles of service
    4) General maintenance and/or appearance upgrades-
    Check your axles and CV boots. Typically, replacing a front half-shaft from Raxle will give you a better performing unit at less than the cost of an OEM CV boot kit.
    Cabin air filter - clean air, happy passengers
    Coolant check: G12 only!
    Oil: Not gonna start a holy war on the boards again regarding which oil to use. Just make sure it meets/exceeds 505.01 spec. I'm not even going to recommend a brand.
    Per your taste, LED's are a great way to modernize the look of the RS6. Personally, I've done DEPO smoked LED Tails (they look pretty hot on Brilliant Black), and superbrightleds.com Type 74 in the high-mount brake light (MUCH brighter, much truer RED color when lit) - I'm planning on doing up some other lights, but I promised the girlfriend we'd get her car squared away before anything else with the RS6

Whew, lots of stuff here. Welcome, and FON!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Thanks for the advice on the TC. I probably will do it next time my engine is in "Service Position". Do know when that will happen but based on what I have read it will be sooner than later. I purchased a garage queen from an obsessive owner who was older and probably never really leaned into the car. So I am hoping that the transmission has not seen the type of abuse it received from "typical RS6 owner" but you never know. When I mentioned I like to turn a wrench I did not mean that I would be removing the engine. Need to find a good shop for that. General maintenance is a go though.