Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LOL...I think my DRC is blown.

LOL...I think my DRC is blown.

45k on the car....never seen adverse weather about 20k on the updated recall struts.

You just have to laugh about it.

Squeek in the rear the last few weeks. Unloading some things out of the trunk tonite...noticed the rear moved very easy. So I pushed down on the rear....no damping and clunking. LOL

My Christmas list just added another line.

I was about to calculate up my maint costs this year.

2x100 dollar deducts for transmissions
    Oil change
    New set of Pilot Supersports

Hot damn, I think I can afford one of them there RSsixxes

Oh nooooo, we own one of the worst reliable vehicles made in the last 10 years.

Stupid bean counters behind the insurance company desk. Screw off.

Aside from the illfated desire by the engineers to put in a 6MT in lieu of the 5Tip and the problems associated with the DRC dampers, I personally feel our cars have received an extremely bad rap. The 42TTV8 engines are amoungst the best out there from a performance and maintenance perspective IMO. I've seen/read about many more problems on other performance cars and they are worse than ours. What else major from a mechanical perspective would make our cars the 'worst' vehicles from a reliability perspective?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Aside from the illfated desire by the engineers to put in a 6MT in lieu of the 5Tip and the problems associated with the DRC dampers, I personally feel our cars have received an extremely bad rap. The 42TTV8 engines are amoungst the best out there from a performance and maintenance perspective IMO. I've seen/read about many more problems on other performance cars and they are worse than ours. What else major from a mechanical perspective would make our cars the 'worst' vehicles from a reliability perspective?
    I concur.

Having been 'hip deep in evil' with various repairs/rebuilds/conversions on various B5 & C5 Audis, the RS6 is no worse in expense and level of difficulty than a modded 2.7T. I chuckle when people shy away due to some urban legends....
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I laugh and buy another and another and will prob buy one more just to have a personal parts car.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I concur.

Having been 'hip deep in evil' with various repairs/rebuilds/conversions on various B5 & C5 Audis, the RS6 is no worse in expense and level of difficulty than a modded 2.7T. I chuckle when people shy away due to some urban legends....

-Busted torque converter trashing transmissions on the <905100ish VIN's every ~40k miles
    -Seem to have a propensity for trashing CV joints
    -By far the biggest, pretty much any maintenance beyond oil change means autopsy table, engine out, service position, 40hrs service $4k bill plus whatever actual work needs done
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Think the bad TC's are closer to 5500-5600 and below...

What gets me is the damn EGT sensors, WTF Bosch...do they always go out every few years?

Can be a very solid car for sure, it's that some of the costs and time labor wise can add up due to cramped workspace.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Don't confuse is high maintenance cost with reliability woes. Rotors, EGT's, Timing belts, Water pumps, etc all high cost for maintaining indeed. Broken tranny/TQ along with DRC = reliability for sure. My recent adventures with being stranded due to the failure of a plastic part in a CV joint could be chalked up to reliability, however that joint design is no different on this car than the hundreds of thousands others out there.

Car has a bad rap for two things IMO. DRC and Tranny/TC. Everything else occurs in some sort of fashion on every other car made by every other manufacturer.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Car has a bad rap for two things IMO. DRC and Tranny/TC. Everything else occurs in some sort of fashion on every other car made by every other manufacturer.
    This^^^

Good thing the RS6 isn't cursed with the Lexus/Toyota sticky skinny pedal.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

My skinny pedal is always stuck in the down position. You some$itches better get out of my way.

The stupid article that ranked the RS6 as the 10 worst was a service contract company in England. Someone linked it here some time back. Then people get afraid of the car and the condition that is a false perception because the %ucking insurance company equated $$ cost of repair to reliable aspect of the vehicle. One does not equal the other in terms of number of times it breaks down. Sure the trans is a biggie and it skews the results when $$ is a factor. But how many times does it happen and there are so many options now for repair. I mean Tozo is 5k all in if you take him the car.

Then its fixed. Done. Enjoy it. Drive fast.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    The stupid article that ranked the RS6 as the 10 worst was a service contract company in England. Someone linked it here some time back.
    http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/bre...-lists-10.html

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/news...reliable%20car

They got one thing right.

RS6 is #1

A$$ munchers Warranty Direct. Actually, I should thank them. Its almost a crime how cheap I can buy a 30,000 mile RS6 with 3yrs of warranty left. LOL

I'm trading both my RS6s in for a Suzuki.

I think the British would term Warranty Direct as Wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    They got one thing right.

RS6 is #1

A$$ munchers Warranty Direct. Actually, I should thank them. Its almost a crime how cheap I can buy a 30,000 mile RS6 with 3yrs of warranty left. LOL

I'm trading both my RS6s in for a Suzuki.

I think the British would term Warranty Direct as Wankers.

Yeah, the Brits know a thing or two about reliability. NOT. The LR Disco II we had years ago blew a head gasket at 41K miles.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

DRC can fail?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

That would be the newsflash of the week. I'm trading my cars for Suzuki which is on Warranty Direct top 10 most reliable vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    DRC can fail?

I'm holding onto a reliable car company such as Suzuki....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-1...e-decades.html
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Well darn, DRC is not blown. Everything is sealed up w no leaks. What I was hearing were the valves in the back. Could only hear them from the outside.

Squeek was the rear seat.

I guess I'm keeping my cars. I really wanted a Suzuki

What is REALLY amazing is that wizards at Audi are putting DRC into RS7. Have they fixed it? Mine leaked out a couple months ago. Car felt like a 70's Caddy - my wife and kids got a kick out of the cushy ride. Ripped out DRC with extreme prejudice. Now running on 2Bennets.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Quote Originally Posted by vr430 View Post
    What is REALLY amazing is that wizards at Audi are putting DRC into RS7. Have they fixed it? Mine leaked out a couple months ago. Car felt like a 70's Caddy - my wife and kids got a kick out of the cushy ride. Ripped out DRC with extreme prejudice. Now running on 2Bennets.
    Yes, new generation DRC is much better from what they put into c5 rs6.