Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 s6 v10...

2007 s6 v10...

Tell me why I should not buy this? Updated interior looks really nice, V10, 6 speed with paddles.

What goes wrong with these if anybody knows? Just a nice example, 435hp for starters, maybe chip for a few more, thoughts.

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2014&modelCode1=S6&showcaseOwnerId=65057635&startYear=1981&makeCode1=AUDI&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=200&mmt=[AUDI[S6[]][]]&listingId=359535993
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

It needs brakes

I don't know much about them but I thought they had the same maintenance issues and are not that fast. I do think the V10 S8 are attractively priced as well. Probably closer to a stock RS6 speed.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

This 5.2 is extremely detuned and the car is almost 4600lbs it barely cracks low 14s in 1/4. But it does look like a nice cruiser. I would probably go for s8, it weigh less, has 450hp and more space.
    6spd complete

Kuni had/has an excellent rep back in the day.

I almost went for the 08 S8 before making the decision to go with RS6 #3 as my daily. A Daytona/black S8 is just about the best looking luxury sedan on the roads today.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Tell me why I should not buy this? Updated interior looks really nice, V10, 6 speed with paddles.

What goes wrong with these if anybody knows? Just a nice example, 435hp for starters, maybe chip for a few more, thoughts.

Those cars look great inside and out, they're really nice to ride in, and they sound sublime - subdued, but sublime.

However, comma, they really aren't that fast, and there's very little that can be done about that. Last I knew, Unitronic was the only company offering any tuning for it on this side of the pond, and the gains were minimal - like 25 hp. Fuel mileage is also pretty dismal, if that's of any importance to you.

If you love the looks and want a cruiser, sure, why not? If you're thinking it will feel anything like an RS6 - it won't.

Personally, I'd spend a little more and get a B8 S4, which is a better car in every way, with the exception of rear seat roominess.

I allways liked this car... Fantastic enterior, great seats, V10 engine...

+1 on the B8 S4. Prices are very good right now.

The interior is just amazing to me. She's a big car for sure, and a bit square, parked next to one last year, and it seemed bigger than the RS6. From reading, this is a de-tuned V10, and can easily hold another 50hp. Think about how a Gallardo sounds, wow.....seats look comfy too, more like a Recarro.

There was also some speculation that the engine block of the original 5.0 litre Lamborghini V10 is closely based on the Audi 4.2 FSI V8, which Audi produces for their luxury cars. However, this was denied by AUDI AG, in their official documentation for their 5.2 FSI V10 engine, as used in the Audi S6 and Audi S8 - the Lamborghini 5.0 V10 has a cylinder bore spacing of 88 millimetres (3.46 in) between centres, whereas the Audi 5.2 V10 cylinder bore spacing is 90 millimetres (3.54 in).[3] The cylinder heads use the four valves per cylinder layout favoured by the Italian firm, rather than the five valve per cylinder variation formerly favoured by the German members of Volkswagen Group - including Audi and Volkswagen Passenger Cars. It was later confirmed by Stefan Reil of Audi's quattro GmbH subsidiary that the new 5.2 litre Lamborghini V10 does share technologies with the Audi 5.2 V10 engine, as is evident by Lamborghini's usage of Audi's Fuel Stratified Injection, and 90 mm cylinder spacing.[4]
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The gas mileage is very poor for a nice, but not spectacular car.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    The gas mileage is very poor for a nice, but not spectacular car.
    Well, I currently get 12mpg.....and the interior of the S6 looks amazing compared. If it's around in a few weeks I'll go for a test drive and see. Still plenty of torque in a big luxury machine.

I can have the RS6 as my sports car...I mean it's no Miata, but I still love it...

I owned a 2007 S6 a few years ago. I loved the car. It was not amazingly fast (low 5 sec 0-60), but the instant on torque of the V10 and the overall comfort/fun to drive balance of the car was perfect for me. The paddles were actually pretty responsive, too, so I used them a lot. I had two issues in my year of ownership...coolant reservoir cracked (I'd expect this to go on the one you are looking at if it hasn't already been replaced) and a rear seat belt sensor went bad. My Audi mechanic friend said the V10s are actually pretty reliable. Some have had issues with carbon buildup, but I never did.

They push hard in corners with so much weight out front and my 2002 S6 was a lot more fun in the corners, so keep that in mind if you want a corner carving machine.

If you buy one, throw a milltek non resonated exhaust on it and you will never get your foot out of the gas. Pure bliss.

I saw around 14mog city and low 20s highway. But I didn't care.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Google FSI carbon buildup, I would not want to deal with that on an aging V10... I dunno, I was just never into the early C6, even the facelifted one looks too bland to me.

For $35-40k you can get a 2010+ S4 and it's so much better. Audi states it makes 333bhp it they dyno at 300whp stock. And they average around 23mpg which is impressive for so much performance.
    If I wasn't making payments on the BRZ already I would have financed one. I leased one for 6 months under the employee lease program when I worked for Audi and I enjoyed it more than the RS 4, S5 V8, hell just about everything else I test drove, except for the R8 V10 Spyder

This is interesting because the carbon buildup is the #1 reason I didnt buy a RS4 and or R8 4.2 back in the day. I didnt think about the V10 carbon situation but if its there.....beware.

The carbon buildup on the n/a FSI also had a role in my #2 RS6 decision. Our Cosworth built 4.2tt may be one of the best engines in the last 25 years. No carbon isues in our 4.2. Roland Gumpert is no idiot to select that motor...I do not regret having 2 low mileage RS6s sitting out in my garage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumpert_Apollo

I will 3rd my above post about the B8 S4 and for all the reasons you just listed. Throw an APR tune on that S4 and you got something there. That 3.0T supercharged engine is just a sweet motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Google FSI carbon buildup, I would not want to deal with that on an aging V10... I dunno, I was just never into the early C6, even the facelifted one looks too bland to me.

For $35-40k you can get a 2010+ S4 and it's so much better. Audi states it makes 333bhp it they dyno at 300whp stock. And they average around 23mpg which is impressive for so much performance.
    If I wasn't making payments on the BRZ already I would have financed one. I leased one for 6 months under the employee lease program when I worked for Audi and I enjoyed it more than the RS 4, S5 V8, hell just about everything else I test drove, except for the R8 V10 Spyder
    Last edited by DHall1; December 6th, 2013 at 06:59.

Some say.....we know what comes next.

Enjoy this vid and remember what we have under the hood. Watch this from 4.00 and enjoy

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    This is interesting because the carbon buildup is the #1 reason I didnt buy a RS4 and or R8 4.2 back in the day. I didnt think about the V10 carbon situation but if its there.....beware.

The carbon buildup on the n/a FSI also had a role in my #2 RS6 decision. Our Cosworth built 4.2tt may be one of the best engines in the last 25 years. Roland Gumpert is no idiot...I do not regret having 2 low mileage RS6s sitting out in my garage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumpert_Apollo

I will 3rd my above post about the B8 S4 and for all the reasons you just listed. Throw an APR tune on that S4 and you got something there. That 3.0T supercharged engine is just a sweet motor.

Totally agree with above statement

I would NEVER buy a Audi with the Direct Injection Engine.

I am good with a friends with a mechanic that works on Audis and he tells me he has lost count of all the DI engines he has pulled manifolds off the clean Carbon on valves etc... Its very time consuming job..

All the DD engines get carbon build up. Turbo 4s, v6s, V8s and yes he has done V10s too. Some as little as 20,000kms

DI are great engines but seriously let down with Carbon Build issues.

Will be sticking with my RS6!!

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    ...I will 3rd my above post about the B8 S4 and for all the reasons you just listed. Throw an APR tune on that S4 and you got something there. That 3.0T supercharged engine is just a sweet motor.
    My S4 is STaSIS-tuned (ECU tune only - no pulley), and I've run 12.4 @ ~111 mph.

APR/GIAC "stage 2" (tune+pulley) cars run 11.8-12.2 @ 114-117 mph.

Oh and carbon build up is really a non-issue on the 3.0T motor. MIGHT need cleaning somewhere past 100K miles...

Ok, that does it, V10 with carbon buildup can be ugly, not touching this car.

Found some articles from owners that bought new, within 10-15,000 miles began experiencing low power, then misfires. Engine needed thorough cleaning to remove carbon deposits.

Some folks have run these for years, maybe it's the gas, or some engines are more prone to it?

Back to the S4 then, thanks!

3.0T FTW!

I really should have gone this route B8S4 for my DD instead of the 2nd RS6. But now that the 2nd RS6 is sorted it all worked out in the end.