Thread: Noisy rear end

Noisy rear end

So Thing 2 has a noise coming from the rear end. 192K on the clock. Howling above about 30mph....had the wifey drive me around today and the noise appears to be from the right rear, but I can't rule out the diff.....any ideas? No noise when just rotating the rear tire by hand.

Thanks all....

My buddy's wife was saying the same thing a few months back. Had all of my buds laughing hard while he shared her text with us.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noisy rear end.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	14350
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Does it get higher pitched the faster you go? I would say rear Dif.. which you probably don't want to hear.. wheel bearing? I unno

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    My buddy's wife was saying the same thing a few months back. Had all of my buds laughing hard while he shared her text with us.

that is funny.

I would get all four wheels off the ground and have your wife or someone get the mph up to 30-40 while your under it to try to locate the noise.

Just remind whoever ever drives that the abs will be goofy when you hit the brakes.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Wheel bearing

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post

LMAO !! Can't say the wife would ever text me that :/

If it ends up being a shot rear differential, I've got one from an S6 that's compatible. All you need to do is remove your aluminum heat sink and install it on this one, as it's the only difference.

If it's more prevalent or goes away when turning, it's probably a wheel bearing.

PM me if you end up needing the rear diff. BTW, they're small enough to ship via UPS or USPS.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    If it ends up being a shot rear differential, I've got one from an S6 that's compatible. All you need to do is remove your aluminum heat sink and install it on this one, as it's the only difference.

If it's more prevalent or goes away when turning, it's probably a wheel bearing.

PM me if you end up needing the rear diff. BTW, they're small enough to ship via UPS or USPS.
    Thanks! Right now looking at 6 inches of snow, so troubleshooting has ground to a halt :/

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Thanks! Right now looking at 6 inches of snow, so troubleshooting has ground to a halt :/
    Peanuts! JK ha Blizzard swamped our city here with almost a foot of snow too over the past 48 hours cancelling flights, closing highways, schools, etc. due to high snowfall coupled with 50-80km/h winds and drifting snow. Dozens and dozens of accidents coupled with traffic woes everywhere. Minus 30degC for the remainder of the week. lol Long live QUATTRO coupled with a good quality set of winter tires.

Name:	snow day.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	14401
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down