Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Destroyed trans in 8 months?....warning graphic details involving tranny...

i know Mad Max does, but as far as i know he is no longer using many original components. I had back in 2005, a 2001 A6 and a 2002 A6 and loved it, that '02 one being a Quattro, with Quattro package which included a Sport suspension and other tweaks, it was a great car back then, now would probably be the same as the RS6, would feel outdated. As i said and don't get me wrong, i was on this boat, the RS6 is a great car IF you use it as what it was meant to be, a fast Autobahn cruiser, is no sports car, the only thing sports territory is the power, everything else is destined to take you in comfort and nice environment to the destination. It wasn't meant for drag racing nor track days, this is my point and this where it will let you down when demanding these things from it. After all, and let's be fair and admit, the same chassis has been used on the regular A6 4.2 and it never was a sporty one compared for example with an E39 which has a much better and rigid chassis, by simply adding a DRC system and more power you can't turn it into a better handling car, it does handle better than the regular A6, but not by much than one with a Sports Suspension setting, the core simply doesn't allow that.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Yep, love the car, just asking for a bit much sports performance I think. Drove a 2010 C63 AMG with sport package a few months back, was kind of a POC compared to the RS6 in so many ways, just a horrid car to sit in.

Maybe it's something random with this trans, maybe not, will keep testing it out and seeing how far we get...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by mmaturo View Post
    Lol...I picked the right night to be bored and poke around on this forum and your statement at the top couldn't be more true. But yes actually 4 transmission if you count the original one in the car, 5 torque converters over 60K miles (from when the first one went at 27K miles on the car) and 5 years...pretty good abuse on 3 of the 4 (stop light runs and some track days_...all on a stock strong motor (395hp and torque at the wheels on the dyno). And last tranny was going when I traded it in...with zero abuse and few miles on it (a rebuilt unit off the boat from ZF under my last possible warranty claim). Keep on rebuilding them.

My only real comment is thank goodness Audi has strengthened the transmission technology since. The RS cars are less of an experiment these days. Zero issues on my S5 after the RS6 with Stasis tune; now RS5 that I have driven way harder than the RS6 even (14 track days around the country over 1 year and 17K miles); and my R8 that sees some hard driving. I'm looking forward to the RS7 I have on order with all the power and beast feel with way more reliability.
    Sounds about right, and I think you hold the record for torn up trans. Hey, what did you spec on the RS7 for color and options? I'll be looking in that direction one of these days...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I hear the THUNDEROUS whisper of a 6MT in your future....

I know there are two in the greater Seattle area and there was the Seattle Beer event last week.
    After driving Riccardo's 6MT, it was exactly how it should have been built...

Drive one and you will be hooked
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Spoken with Tozo over the last few months, and he seems surprised it went/issues so early, and offered to fix it. From what I know trans has every upgrade possible to handle increased power...more clutches in each pack, increased VB pressure, updated springs/pins. He's a good guy to talk to, so I figure we'll catch up in the next few weeks and keep looking for a solution. Thanks!
    I can send you another one and just send back the one you have now. Warranty is a warranty. Unfortunately I don't have a TC.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I can send you another one and just send back the one you have now. Warranty is a warranty. Unfortunately I don't have a TC.
    Thanks Tozo, all the help has been much appreciated! I certainly put some tough shifts on this trans, but lots of easy driving too. Could be something small like an o-ring or something big, too bad the distance is so much or I'd just ship you my car for diagnosis. I should be good with the rebuilt ACE tc that I have, it's just got a few years on it.

I'm going to keep looking for another solution relating to a seal or pipe or something not allowing the VB to hold enough pressure.

It's just odd that it doesn't truly slip, or hasn't yet, it just jumps gears, and only 3rd to 4th for now. Something seems to be telling the tcu to make a hard shift up, for what? Spoke with a few mechanics I know and they thought this was reasonable thinking relating to pressure. Also, each time we've looked at the fluid it's been clean, so I'm assuming no real wear on the clutch packs, I guess.

However this works out I'm going to back off driving like a drag racer too often. Just seems to easy to trash the trans. Heard of clutches getting glazed from heat, so maybe I did something like that. Or just a simple failed o-ring, solenoid issue, trans temp sensor, or.....arghhhh.

The pipe that cracks all the time is for the second gear. Yours is new.
    If you don't have slip then talk to your installer to loosen the two bolts that holds the shifter cable to the Trans and move the bracket ~2mm forward. I've seen this before. There is around 2 mm tolerance where the shifter cable bracket should be on the Trans. Because of the limited room during installation if it was set to the rear of the tolerance limit during hard acceletation the motor/Trans shifts and moves the shifter out of fully engaged D or S to between those positions (N).
    here is the adjustment on the driver's side.
    http://audipages.com/tozo/5HP24A.JPG
    05 Cayenne turbo

If you don't have slip then talk to your installer to loosen the two bolts that holds the shifter cable to the Trans and move the bracket ~2mm forward. I've seen this before. There is around 2 mm tolerance where the shifter cable bracket should be on the Trans. Because of the limited room during installation if it was set to the rear of the tolerance limit during hard acceletation the motor/Trans shifts and moves the shifter out of fully engaged D or S to between those positions (N).
    here is the adjustment on the driver's side.
    Very good, will do! Would like to explore any option before having to replace. Thanks!

The way the shifter works when you pull it from P to D you actually pushing the other end of the cable forward. If the bracket is a bit too far back, you are not in D fully. The engine torque could "neutral" it out then when it shifts and you back it off everything returns to normal.
    05 Cayenne turbo

I need one of these. Can you get one from a trans shop? My builder lost my spare :/

You can buy it from Ericsson.
    05 Cayenne turbo

The way the shifter works when you pull it from P to D you actually pushing the other end of the cable forward. If the bracket is a bit too far back, you are not in D fully. The engine torque could "neutral" it out then when it shifts and you back it off everything returns to normal.
    Interesting. Going in next week and will take a look around.

Not sure if it would be worth opening up the trans and looking at VB or filter area? Thoughts on having a local shop look at the trans?

I am 90% convinced that this is your problem.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Probably not your particular problem, but another potential issue arises if you use a cheap trans filter. Likely that is not your problem, as Tozo did the trebuild, but the cheap filters tend to split on the edges...don't use them..use OEM only...
    2013 Audi S8

I am 90% convinced that this is your problem.
    Sounds good, we'll give the shifter linkage position a good look over and adjust as instructed, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Probably not your particular problem, but another potential issue arises if you use a cheap trans filter. Likely that is not your problem, as Tozo did the trebuild, but the cheap filters tend to split on the edges...don't use them..use OEM only...
    Thanks. OEM filter with pickup tube trimmed 1/8", I never skimp on parts. We replaced the filter when changing fluid after first weird shift in August. I have seen a picture of the black plastic filter cracking, leading to lack of suction.

This wouldn't be the pump for the trans fluid not getting enough to the clutches?

I know it's a long shot, but I wonder if the trimmed filter pickup combined with my pan being lower for some reason is causing a shortage of fluid. When I had this same symptom a few years ago with my old trans it was a quart low. We've topped off and double checked this one by the book, full.

Maybe after we adjust the cable, and if that doesn't work, we'll put in a filter without pickup trimmed? Trying to exhaust every possible option....

Edit; we used a trimmed pickup on the old trans, never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Sounds about right, and I think you hold the record for torn up trans. Hey, what did you spec on the RS7 for color and options? I'll be looking in that direction one of these days...
    Suzuka Gray...yes I have a color problem...with carbon fiber exterior package with the quattro script, lunar silver interior, 21" titanium wheels, red calipers, sport exhaust, DRC now that its available, aluminum with wood inlay (the bands of wood alternating with aluminum pinstripes). I skipped the tech stuff, the $3K headliner, and B&O.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet