Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were me... Auto or Manual

If you were me... Auto or Manual

Well, I blew my transmission this morning.

Fortunately I own my own shop... I can either throw a rebuild kit into my transmission, and try to do some internal upgrades to the stock transmission.

Or... I have a complete six speed set up that I could put in also.

I'm undecided on what I should do, I really like automatic, and automatic is faster with a turbo car unless you have no lift shift options.

It's just a fairly well modified daily driver, and honestly I don't not like driving stick anymore, I'm getting old.

Opinions?

I think you answered your own question then man. Upgrade the auto box. Talk to tozo about the best options for upgrading the box and send the tc to ace.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    I think you answered your own question then man. Upgrade the auto box. Talk to tozo about the best options for upgrading the box and send the tc to ace.
    +1

The car, for me, is exactly what I desire in a comfortable performance luxury sedan as a daily driver.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Youre right, my main concern is spending the time to pull it out, tear it apart, install new guts, and then blow it up again this next year. The car will be making 600hp with a couple more tweaks and i just want a box to hold the power reliably. Lol

I can go through my auto for about $400. But then its only stock. Curious as to what the "upgraded" kits include for $700 more...

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorocket View Post
    Or... I have a complete six speed set up that I could put in also.
    If you go the auto route, would you be looking to get rid of your six speed setup?

Yes i would

I'm just gonna put this right here... mkay?

opps, not sure it works anymore... Mr. Balsen!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

The car will be making 600hp with a couple more tweaks
    Would be interested in knowing just what exactly you've done to get to this power claim. If you are indeed pushing that much power you could well be eclipsing the 11.5sec 1/4 mile time making it one of the fastest beasts on NA soil....

Even an upgraded auto will start to balk at power levels hitting or exceeding the 600hp realm. If you're fine with the many hours required to perform a drop & swap or an R&R effort with a full rebuild while out, then you're certain to be many many $$ further ahead with the auto.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I already have a full six speed conversion, so it could go either way. I can either put the six speed in the car, or build my automatic. If I can find some people who have been running future power numbers for some time now, I will just build my automatic.

Getting big Palerrad of cars especially turbo cars, is not very difficult. But first things first, I need to get a good transmission in the car.

I already have a full six speed conversion, so it could go either way. I can either put the six speed in the car, or build my automatic. If I can find some people who have been running future power numbers for some time now, I will just build my automatic.

Getting big Palerrad of cars especially turbo cars, is not very difficult. But first things first, I need to get a good transmission in the car.

What was in the video?

These are the things that get upgraded at 517:

http://www.517trans.com/catalog/11a.php

Is it just me or have these prices come down? I dont remember it being "only" 3900 for the trans.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

What are the power upgrades? You basically need turbo and fuel system, IC's, tune, exhaust, could add Loba cams, should get you to 600/750. Upgraded clutch packs, maybe just more clutches, not sure if material is better, upgraded vb, some of what the trans needs.

For me it's auto only, love it. I'm also replacing a trans after 8 months. About 500/550 at engine. The torque will tear it up. If you are gonna run more power you need to upgrade to manual. Keep the cars limitations in mind.

Still don't know what broke in the trans, maybe not caused by the power, but I think it was. Will have a new thread in a few months.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dynmicracr View Post

Is it just me or have these prices come down? I dont remember it being "only" 3900 for the trans.
    Sounds about right. Believe Tozo with VB rebuild is $3500, one year warranty, which he's been very nice about with me.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Some people have said they've run tuned 500+ power through auto and been fine. I think if they drove it harder they wouldn't say the same thing. Driving habit is huge...

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Tozo can do TC also, straightforward I believe...

That is the link for the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. The 4.2 is over 5k. Here's the correct link
    http://www.517trans.com/catalog/11b.php

Quote Originally Posted by Dynmicracr View Post

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats