Thread: Trunk Latch Issue: Where does the spring go?

Trunk Latch Issue: Where does the spring go?

My trunk latch has had a problem with not locking for a couple of months now, and I just got around to doing something about it. Basically, the latch worked just fine (remote, key, exterior release lever, interior release lever) but it wouldn't lock. I could hear the motor mechanism work when I hit the lock button, but I could still open it with the exterior handle. Which, of course, would set off the alarm.

After taking the trunk lid liner off (a fairly easy process involving two screws in the handle for pulling the lid closed, two in the reflective triangle holder, one inside the inside release lever, two carpet covered ones through the liner itself, and a bunch of spring clips), the latch mechanism was exposed. The problem was immediately obvious: the lever arm connected to the lock motor was broken. I found the broken piece in a pocket between the trunk lid skin and the reinforcing bracing. I decided to pull the whole lever piece out to epoxy it back together by removing the circlip that held it in place, and that's when the spring fell out. The problem is, I don't know where it goes and I'm ready to put it back together. Does anyone have an answer? The pic below shows the broken piece and the spring in question.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5156.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	14307

I've done some poking around online and didn't have any luck finding a photo or diagram showing where it goes..
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

::Free Bump:: I could very much use this info too, as I'm likely to be going through the same process here soon. Didn't even realize the trunk wasn't locking until the S/O set off the alarm the other day opening the trunk before I had a chance to hit the unlock button...

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Bump, Anyone? I pulled the trunk lid carpet yesterday and sure as anything, exact same breakage of exact same part, down to the spring pin popping out and everything. Tried epoxying the plastic back together, no love...

Thanks
    O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Erik, I can tell you that I managed to get mine epoxyed back together and it's holding up fine now. I never did figure out where that spring was supposed to go, but everything functions fine (remote trunk opening, trunk opening from button by driver's seat, trunk opening from trunk handle, trunk opening with the key, locking of the trunk, etc). So unless someone comes up with where the spring goes, I'll just leave it out.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Erik, I can tell you that I managed to get mine epoxyed back together and it's holding up fine now. I never did figure out where that spring was supposed to go, but everything functions fine (remote trunk opening, trunk opening from button by driver's seat, trunk opening from trunk handle, trunk opening with the key, locking of the trunk, etc). So unless someone comes up with where the spring goes, I'll just leave it out.
    Awesome, thanks for the update! Going to try finding a solution that doesn't involve milling a new part out of a solid block of 440T. I'm not at all confident in Epoxied plastic, especially on a stress joint like this one.

O_E