Thread: 1st post hoping/Praying for some help! RS6 cluster all messed up

1st post hoping/Praying for some help! RS6 cluster all messed up

So yesterday I was driving my car all day no problems. Then I pulled into the grocery store when I came back and put the key back into the car it started beeping from the cluster, the immobilizer light started flashing, the esp light was on, the abs light was on, the VDP display when completely blank just lit up and would flash all different signals and the mileage said the words fuse in the box above my current mileage. The car starts for a second then dies......... Any help would be appreciated. The car is a 2003 RS6 with 63,495 miles this was Kevins Manual build. It has the MMI navigation and everything ran perfect Jason from AMD had just flashed the ecu. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all!
    Last edited by N_Stamp; November 2nd, 2013 at 16:08.

Vagcom and scan for codes.

You might try a hillbilly reset- Undo the battery for 5 minutes and let everything try to reset. Less than .03 worth
    210K miles rolled

Turn the key to accessory position and take a look at the voltage. Does it read 12v, or is the red battery light on? Make sure everything is off, stereo, climate control, interior light switch, etc. If voltage is low, your alternator may have died while you were driving and just decided that the grocery store was the end of the road.

As the proverbial saying goes, ask me how I know.

The voltage seems to be fine, if the alternator was bad would it allow the car to start for a second then shut off followed by gauge cluster acting crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by N_Stamp View Post
    The voltage seems to be fine, if the alternator was bad would it allow the car to start for a second then shut off followed by gauge cluster acting crazy?
    It might. Most cars will start because the circuitry temporarily bypasses the ECU when key is in "start" position. Low battery voltage will cause unpredictable results....in any car.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

To address a prior comment: With key "on" (KOEO) all cars will illuminate the battery icon. It should turn off when the engine is running. If not the alternator isn't working.

Ever wonder why it's called an 'alternator'? It creates A/C voltage that's rectified to DC by cutting off the bottom portion of the sine wave. If the recitifier degrades, A/C voltage will leak into the DC system. Not a good thing.......
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I will talk to my guys and look into that. Last night they took apart the dash and went through every fuse possible due to the dash reading fuse. Alternator just might be the trick. Thanks for all the support!
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony /APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol-Intake/BBS-CH/01E TUNED 6-Speed/Southbend STG 4+/AMD ecu tune/Devils Own Meth/61k

It's most likely the instrument cluster fuse and/or the instrument cluster itself. I'd also check the fusible links near the ECU box under the hood.

The instrument cluster has a module with the Immobilizer pin # stored in it just like the ECM so if you have a bad cluster or cluster fuse, the car will not start due to the immobilizer.
    I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

Praying I do not have to buy a new cluster! LOL
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony /APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol-Intake/BBS-CH/01E TUNED 6-Speed/Southbend STG 4+/AMD ecu tune/Devils Own Meth/61k

I have a cluster if it comes down to it and you need one.

How many miles are on it currently? and price?

IT IS THE CLUSTER!!!!! Time for a new one.

Der cluster is on the way. Should have it in your hot little hands tomorrow. Get that bad boy back on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Stamp View Post
    IT IS THE CLUSTER!!!!! Time for a new one.

Keep in mind that the cluster will not be plug and play since the cluster's EEPROM will now have a mismatched immo PIN. The new cluster will result in the same symptom as before (engine will start for a second and then die with the Immo light flashing).

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Der cluster is on the way. Should have it in your hot little hands tomorrow. Get that bad boy back on the road.
    I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

Luckily its good to have an Audi stealership tech friend who is down for some recoding!