Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Pull

Quote Originally Posted by kmartens View Post
    where does one get the bufkin pipe? Cannot find it on ebay where it seems most have got it from.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/261296227103...84.m1423.l2661

Recent auction. Contact seller.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Subscribed!... Please continue with the the valuable updates---and pics!!! Good luck, Brav!

....8hrs, and you haven't done it before?!?!?! Rockstar status awarded! ......BTW, does that include preliminary front-end crap removal too?
    Yes, including removing lock carrier and bumper.
    Spoiler alert: I have help from my shop mechanic, who has done most of the work this far. I help when I can. He has about zero percent RS6 experience, let alone Audi. We do regular service, but mostly custom hot rods, lead sleds, etc.

I have never heard so much swearing from this man in our time together, as he was tearing the lump out. we got 6 hours in on it the first day, ready to drop, then 2 hours taking care of a few loose ends and pulling it down. Separation from trans took 3-4 hours with other things going on, he was astounded at how much had to be done to get to each bolt, and the insane (asinine)engineering. Could have been two hours had we planned a few things better, like the type of tranny jack and cart we had everything sitting on.

Any pic requests, let me know. I am waiting on a few parts and new AUTO (*cringe*) trans.. selling the car to a friend, and he wants the auto box.

Turbos with 175k on them seem to be in good shape. Very little shaft play. passenger side hardly detectable, driver's side slightly more.

I am in need of a core Torque Converter... anyone have an old one for sale?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

LOL...sounds like fun...By my 3rd time, I did it in 4 hours or so by myself, on my lift, motor and trans out the bottom, no front end removal. Separating motor and trans is way harder than anyone thinks. Kudos to Steve for doing it on his back. Way too old for that crap..LOL...
    2013 Audi S8

^^ the only way to do it imho ^^ PS. Mike, you are not old
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Thanks kevin...but then why do I have to play "guess this pain" every morning...?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Just decide what you want to replace....the list will grow...
    ... and will seem never ending.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Oh, boy! so far, doing timing belt service (and all ancillaries), cam chain tensioners ($$$$), valve cover gaskets, cam seals, rebuild turbos, buffkin pipe, all fluids, plugs, filters, and turbo studs.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Cha ching!!....I couldn't compress my cam tensioners...was afraid of braking the tool so I left them....turbo studs are $$ for what they are...

If the friend you're selling to wants to go tune, take this opportunity to blanket the snails and get a good layer of header wrap on the exhaust from manifolds to the front flange of the pre-cats, then rear flange of pre-cats to the front flange of the rear cats. should be 2 blankets @ $250/ea. or so plus 2, possibly 3 of 50ft rolls of 2" wrap, and maybe a dozen (8*8", 4x12") steel worm-drive ties to hold everything in place. Don't cheap out on the materials, you want the good stuff that'll last another 175k miles. Another tune-friendly bit you can take care of on the easy side if you havent already done it yet - IC Hoses! If your friend wants to front the 2 grand, offer him this opportunity to get Wagner IC's on the beast.

Long as you've got the engine out, take this opportunity to give it a full checkover. Gaskets, sensors, hoses, belts, tensioners, etc... If your car is anything like mine, now is the perfect time to replace the cam seals and add cam seal plugs so they don't piss oil all over the block. Alternator diode if you haven't done it already as a preventative step. Diverter valves - at least give them a check. Inspect intake/exhaust valves thoroughly. The list goes on and on and on and on and on... Do yourself a massive, monumental favor and make sure that _every_ _single_ bolt that's supposed to be on/in/holding the engine and subcomponents together is present, accounted for, and in good shape.

Knowing what a pain in the ass it is to pull the engine, you don't want to have to do this again!

Let us know how it goes, hope everything checks out tip-top.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Is there a rough interval for when the chain tensioners need to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Is there a rough interval for when the chain tensioners need to be done?
    IIRC, every time you do the timing belt - roughly every 35k miles. I could be totally off base, but that seems to stick in my head from the research I did before pulling the trigger on my beast...

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I don't think Audi lists and interval for the Cam CHAIN tensioners. Now the Cam belt tensioners should be done at every belt change. I would do the Chain tensioners every 2nd or 3rd belt change myself.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I don't think Audi lists and interval for the Cam CHAIN tensioners. Now the Cam belt tensioners should be done at every belt change. I would do the Chain tensioners every 2nd or 3rd belt change myself.
    One of mine is noisy, which is why I am replacing them. you can log it in VAG when it is either on or off, had a clack sound for 0.5 seconds when activating. (just rev from idle lightly). Right when the VAGCOM indicated the change, I heard the noise.

Yea unfortunately, this is another thing we found while under the car doing the trans fluid.... the rear main seal has an ever so slight leak. just a bit of dirt collecting right at the bottom. Shit and two makes eight. People weren't kidding about have a 10k budget for maintenance and repairs.... geez louise. Thank god I have a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Heat will be your friend if needed. While you are in the area, be sure to check your rear main seal or go ahead and replace it while you are in the neighborhood.

Not very often you see two 5HP24's hanging out together..
    Still in holding pattern until I get the turbos and TC back.

TC back? I thought you were going into 6sp manual mode?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    TC back? I thought you were going into 6sp manual mode?
    Plans changed.. selling the car to a friend :/

Sweet pic! I've got 2 of those.....to go with the 2 RS's!! Doesn't hurt to have a couple of replacements in stock.