Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P0308 Misfire Under Acceleration

P0308 Misfire Under Acceleration

It is misfiring under acceleration, and causing the Check Engine light to flash. Any ideas? And I really would like to fix this myself. Help would be great.

Plugs or coil packs

Quote Originally Posted by SensoRS6 View Post
    It is misfiring under acceleration, and causing the Check Engine light to flash. Any ideas? And I really would like to fix this myself. Help would be great.

Would it always misfire if it was one of those? Or would it maybe be the fuel pump, since its only under acceleration?
    Last edited by SensoRS6; October 15th, 2013 at 15:40.

Tuned yet or still stock? Other work done recently?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Just the TC has been done. It was doing it before I for my tune, just got it done over the weekend, so its not the tune. IT seems to be getting worse though. First time it did it was under full throttle, then a few days later it was doing it just under hard acceleration, and now its doing it almost under any acceleration.

Plugs or coils, try to vagcom, and see if it shows you which cylinder is misfiring. Swap coils and see if the misfire follows to the cylinder you swapped with.
    6spd complete

Whats the process for removing Coil Pack? What needs to be removed to gain the access?

How many miles are your on RS6? Does it idle and drive ok normally when not under hard acceleration? If so, my first guess would be spark plugs.

Hey Marc!

I havent really gotten to test the Tune yet because of the misfire, but from what I have felt, its a beast!!! 96k miles, idles and drives just fine, just when I get on it. And its only on cylinder 8. No code showing for any of the others.

You have to take the airbox off to do the tune up, it is hard the first time, but once you figure out how you are going to handle the driver's side 10mm bolt, it gets a lot quicker the next time. The pictorial in the DIY is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmey View Post
    Plugs or coils, try to vagcom, and see if it shows you which cylinder is misfiring. Swap coils and see if the misfire follows to the cylinder you swapped with.
    ^^^ THIS

It's the quickest and simplest step in trouble shooting. It sounds like a coilpack has gone bad.

Just the TC has been done.
    Sorry to go off topic, but you didn't do the trans at the same time, and it's the original trans with 96k?

If that's the case I wouldn't dare put a tune on it as the trans has not got much life left...just warning, I tried to sit on my older trans at 85k and it lasted another year, then the $7k trans bill...

But you will certainly enjoy it more tuned!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    You have to take the airbox off to do the tune up, it is hard the first time, but once you figure out how you are going to handle the driver's side 10mm bolt, it gets a lot quicker the next time. The pictorial in the DIY is good.
    This is the right way to do it, BUT be very careful when disconnecting both the MAF sensors as the red/pink pin alignment guides get weak with heat and crumble apart = they fall down the rabbit holes (the intakes to the turbos) and ask me how I know . Cover the intakes with a clean rag. This entire process is much easier with two people.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Sorry to go off topic, but you didn't do the trans at the same time, and it's the original trans with 96k?

If that's the case I wouldn't dare put a tune on it as the trans has not got much life left...just warning, I tried to sit on my older trans at 85k and it lasted another year, then the $7k trans bill...

Just didn't want to throw more money at it at the time, and they inspected to see if there was anything wrong with the tranny, seems fine. Shift great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Where is the DIY Section to find the step by step?

My old Mugello Blue RS6 has 230K+ miles on the original trans and converter, the last 25K miles of which have been tuned. 11.9 in the 1/4 mile with me, 11.7 in the 1/4 mile with Tim, zero issues, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post

I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

I'd swap coil pack #8 with another coil and see if the misfire code goes from cyl #8 to the other cyl. Also, while you have the intake off and all apart, I'd install 8 new plugs. Stock heat range with my tune is fine.

Hey Marc!

I havent really gotten to test the Tune yet because of the misfire, but from what I have felt, its a beast!!! 96k miles, idles and drives just fine, just when I get on it. And its only on cylinder 8. No code showing for any of the others.
    I tune RS6s. Smooth, powerful, safe & affordable. Proven results. PM me for more info
    Mugello Blue RS6 \ 206K Miles \ Tune Only \ 11.93 @ 116.9 \ http://y2u.be/TqE3-JzYCig \ Daytona Grey RS6 \ Tune, Decatted & Exhaust \ 11.59 @ 118.6 \ http://y2u.be/hqawHXwWcOU

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    My old Mugello Blue RS6 has 230K+ miles on the original trans and converter, the last 25K miles of which have been tuned. 11.9 in the 1/4 mile with me, 11.7 in the 1/4 mile with Tim, zero issues, knock on wood.
    That is amazing, and seems like there are a few others out there with long term success. Like with anything, the amount of care and upkeep really make a difference, hoping for at least another 100k off my rebuilt one...