Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas mileage....stupid topic I know.

Gas mileage....stupid topic I know.

Getting 20.5 after flogging Thing 2 for 1000 miles. Didn't think this was bad at all. Anyone care to chime in with theirs?

Is that computer estimated or calculated based on gas actually consumed during the 1000 mile jaunt?
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I've always wondered about the difference btween true tracked mileage, vs what the computer said the car was doing. For instance, downhill w/ foot off the gas pedal, the car shows -- as current consumption. How does that play out with the computer's averaging of gas mileage/consumption?

Quote Originally Posted by JSRS6 View Post
    Is that computer estimated or calculated based on gas actually consumed during the 1000 mile jaunt?

Mine is computer...as I really haven't been interested in tracking the actual yet. I just thought 20.5 was pretty good considering I flog her every chance I get.

I get 12.5 around the city, but 24 on the freeway, mix the right combo of miles and I could see hitting 20...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Anything more than 8mpg means you're not staying in boost enough XD

In all seriousness, I haven't taken the beast on a road trip yet. 90% city driving and 10% DC-area highway (which might as well be city driving), and I'm seeing 11-12mpg hand-calculated. The significant other took the beast out for a ~100mi round trip and used about a third of a tank (~7gal).

Will report back after this weekend, heading out to a remote spot for camping, so I should be able to get a solid number on freeway driving... 180 miles each way, but with the caveat that a chunk of that is on the capital beltway and US95/MD50, so there'll be a good piece of that in stop-and-go traffic, as well as the long slow line crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (hurray for the 4th worst road to drive in the US!)

Don't remember where I saw it, but I think it's pretty poignant - "Driving an RS6 and worrying about gas consumption is like driving a boat and worrying about getting it wet."
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

90-95%% city driving, 11mpg by the computer, prior to MTM TCU. Now, w/ the ability to hold an upper gear at lower rpm, I am seeing around 13-14mg on a daily basis. I did kill a tank this weekend over about 200 miles, and that included mainly hwy driving but that was hammering it everywhere. Abusive would be a good descriptive term. "Drive it like you stole it" was this weekend's motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Anything more than 8mpg means you're not staying in boost enough XD

In all seriousness, I haven't taken the beast on a road trip yet. 90% city driving and 10% DC-area highway (which might as well be city driving), and I'm seeing 11-12mpg hand-calculated. The significant other took the beast out for a ~100mi round trip and used about a third of a tank (~7gal).

Will report back after this weekend, heading out to a remote spot for camping, so I should be able to get a solid number on freeway driving... 180 miles each way, but with the caveat that a chunk of that is on the capital beltway and US95/MD50, so there'll be a good piece of that in stop-and-go traffic, as well as the long slow line crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (hurray for the 4th worst road to drive in the US!)

Don't remember where I saw it, but I think it's pretty poignant - "Driving an RS6 and worrying about gas consumption is like driving a boat and worrying about getting it wet."

I get 15 ish with 80% city
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

I get 17.X some tanks (if I have drove with spirit a lot lately) and 19.X (if I make a concerted effort to just drive 80 on the hwy and no hot doggin it). I am 10.5 miles HWY and 4.7 city (with lots of stop signs and lights before I get to the hwy) one-way on my everyday commute and rarely do I drive it on the weekend (a nice grocery store is within walking distance of our house and I haul stuff with the wife's cayenne). So I'm +2/3 Hwy -1/3 City

Good thread, I have been wanting to bounce this off people too.

18-20mpg should be about right...a little less if you drive with big heavy boots on...mine is a smidge better with the stick now...
    2013 Audi S8

Mine is probably 80% highway and 20% city (well, Park City really isn't that big). Drive 64 highway miles round trip to work with only one stoplight so I'm sure that helps. Going to work I'm usually good (read under triple digits) because I'd hate to be late to work. Coming back up the hill I'm usually in and out of the boost quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    I-95 used to be drivable, and fun; 50 has always been a crapshoot with cops. On my CBR600 many years ago I made it from Catonsville, MD to the McDonald's on the southwest side of Tyson's Corner mall in 30 minutes.... another day a Ferrari came out to play at about 5:30AM... any more, ALL those roads are a damn parking lot. I don't miss it one bit, and having the power of an RS6 underfoot would make it that much worse.... it must be like trying to hold back the Hulk with spaghetti.

Of course we don't buy a 500hp car and expect 4cyl 1.6L type gas mileage. Keeping tabs on the MPG can help find problems.

My 2 prior Audi's MPG "counter" displays were very accurate. Well within 0.3MPG. An A4V6 and a B6S4(MT). I get about 10% better MPG now than with the S4.

Or about 19 MPG combined. Which relates to about 90% highway and modest speeds. A trip up to the high desert thru some sizeable hills netted about 22MPG. Coming back was over 25MPG, but at 1/2 a tank to go, it's down to 22MPG avg.

The MPG display seems pretty close as usual. But haven't closely checked it.

Just put winter wheels on (and it's 90F+ right after a torrential rain storm!). The 19's were getting to me. I think the new Michelins roll a little easier and ride plush even with 43 PSI.

I'm thinking .5MPG at this point. I can also get 24MPG like LSWING but not at much over 60MPH. That doesn't happen much!

Wonder what the 6spd manual conversion person is getting (or could get driving normally)?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Wonder what the 6spd manual conversion person is getting (or could get driving normally)?
    Thinking about 23-25hwy and 18-20 city...not driving like an idiot...driving like an idiot gets me back to 15-18mpg...
    I love being able to drive around town in 5th or 6th at 35mph....idling...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I love being able to drive around town in 5th or 6th at 35mph....idling...
    I used to be able to do that in my '96 Passat TDI... but the only race I'd ever beat you would be if I drove off a cliff first

You have the RS6 I hope to own/build over the next few years...

What's engine RPM at a given speed, say 60, 70, or 80 mph? In 6th?

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Of course we don't buy a 500hp car and expect 4cyl 1.6L type gas mileage. Keeping tabs on the MPG can help find problems.
    This was what I was wondering about.....if you drive mostly highway and are getting 12mpg...your RS is a mess, or you are in jail. My average MPH per the computer is 40, which I think contributes to the 20 mpg...trying to get a baseline to spot trouble

I just pulled off 550miles on a full tank a week and a bit ago. Entirely hwy with constant speed of 65mph. Was on fumes, but did it.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down