Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 on the Tail of the Dragon

RS6 on the Tail of the Dragon

I drove out to the Dragon for a weekend of tearing it up on my bike. But rather than ride there...I drove. Much more comfortable, and I got to run the Dragon in dry weather with my RS6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6 Dragon.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	14198  
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

nice! i like the dragon but i enjoy some of the other roads around there better
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Franklin/SpringHill here we come.

How far a drive is it to the Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    I drove out to the Dragon for a weekend of tearing it up on my bike. But rather than ride there...I drove. Much more comfortable, and I got to run the Dragon in dry weather with my RS6

Nice shot. Running TOTD can be lots of fun. There are some roads in that area that are even better. I drove "Little Switzerland" off the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago and it had less traffic and better corners.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Franklin/SpringHill here we come.

How far a drive is it to the Dragon?
    3-4 hours, depending on route and how fast you go. Everything gets twisty over on the East side, including I-40.

The Dragon is actually a bit too tight for a big sedan to tear things up on. Also, with the bike traffic, I'd be hesitant to try and push things. Some asshat in a Toyota FR-S decided he was going to play Tokyo Drift Boy and nearly took out a couple riders in my group with the most uncontrolled drift ever.

The less twisty stuff like the Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway are more suited to spirited driving; just be awake when there's a sign pointing out an upcoming turn...it's there for a GOOD reason!

The less twisty stuff like the Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway are more suited to spirited driving; just be awake when there's a sign pointing out an upcoming turn...it's there for a GOOD reason!
    Those are the roads I prefer^
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs

Wayah road!
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Glad you got to do the Dragon in the dry.

Wayah Rd is great in the mountain section as are 276 between Waynesville & BRP; Tilley Rd/Ellijay/ - Little Ellijay- Walnut Creek between Cullowee & 28 going from Franklin toward Highlands was really good. 28 was good between Franklin & 74. TOD was very tight but fun. You can get going too fast on Cherohala & 28 so you do have to watch out for turn signs- you spend most of the time on TOD accelerating, braking , & turning lock to lock- most of the time doing two of the three at once.

Hopefully I'll get back up there this fall to see my son in Clyde & do some driving. We went up in July but took Yukon XL, so no fun
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

Never been on Wayah Rd... Might have to soon... *goes to Google*

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    Never been on Wayah Rd... Might have to soon... *goes to Google*
    Wayah goes from 74 close to Nantahala Outdoor Center (not too far from Robbinsville) to near Franklin & is great especially in the middle more mountainous area. There is a road that goes from 28 to Wayah (Otter Creek Rd/Tellico Rd) that looks like it would be really good too. Warwoman Rd in north GA past Highlands was good too. Its all fun though!
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

I just looked at those sections on Google maps street view. Looks very fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmdmd1 View Post
    Wayah goes from 74 close to Nantahala Outdoor Center (not too far from Robbinsville) to near Franklin & is great especially in the middle more mountainous area. There is a road that goes from 28 to Wayah (Otter Creek Rd/Tellico Rd) that looks like it would be really good too. Warwoman Rd in north GA past Highlands was good too. Its all fun though!

Very cool, I like that photo. Killboy?

Your RS6 looks good coming out of the turn, hunkered down in a great stance.

It's been a couple years since I've been to the Dragon. I'd like to get back there again sometime soon.
    2010 VW GTI
    2012 TT RS

Yeah 28 is the way I used to go up to ZdayZ at Fontana Village. Pretty awesome road. Last year my front (and only) sway bar tried to liberate itself from my truck. Ended up taking it off at the Village and driving back without it after the event... I didn't notice much difference :\ Bought new brackets and bushings and put it back on. Bought a rear add-on sway bar later and found that it didn't work due to my exhaust not being factory (the upright on the passenger side was supposed to mount right above my turnouts). Doesn't matter though, the truck will never be fast, but it is a lot of fun to slide around up there on the twisties with it's safe to do so

I stayed at Fontana Village but my friends were all at Deals Gap Resort, so I shuttled back and forth on the Moonshiner 28 all that weekend, mostly on my bike though. The roads there are intense with either two or four wheels though!

Yep that's a Killboy photo. Here's one of me on the Cherohala Skyway on my bike:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	toby skyway.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	14201  

I stayed at Fontana Village but my friends were all at Deals Gap Resort, so I shuttled back and forth on the Moonshiner 28 all that weekend, mostly on my bike though. The roads there are intense with either two or four wheels though!

Yep that's a Killboy photo. Here's one of me on the Cherohala Skyway on my bike:
    We stayed at Fontana when we were there in March, nice & quiet. After driving 28 between there & TOD, I was wondering how TOD could be any better.

What day did you drive TOD? I was wanting to look at your pics on Killboy & 129 Photos. You car definitely has less body roll in the turns than mine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278331.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	14202Click image for larger version. 

Name:	278329.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	14203

Using those pics for comparison...that's about how the Hotchkis sways make a difference. Can't believe I waited so long for such a nice handling upgrade. Nice pics and stories fellas, looks like fun!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I definitely need to get the sways then.

I definitely need to get the sways then.
    Yes you do- and take that thing out on dat background track...I've heard it is fun..;0
    210K miles rolled