Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sure wish the Avant was available in NA

Sure wish the Avant was available in NA

I do so like the styling cues on a few of the wagons these days. My personal fav is the CTS-V as I find it edgy and full of muscle. I even like this:

http://www.automobilesreview.com/img...-tourer-05.jpg

Only another 5 years an I can import a C5 Avant from afar.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

why another 5 year before you can?

Once a car is 15 years old, Canada's RIV program (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) no longer applies and I can freely import the C5 RS6 from outside of the US/Canada. There is no way to do it prior to then.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

oh ok, cause i was looking on how to get a car from UK to US and it didnt show anything about having to wait, you just have to pay more the newer the car is.

Quote Originally Posted by SA RS6 View Post
    oh ok, cause i was looking on how to get a car from UK to US and it didnt show anything about having to wait, you just have to pay more the newer the car is.
    That would suggest that anyone in the US can import a C5 Avant if they want to pay more which I don't believe is the case. I understood the US to be similar to Canada in that anything that falls outside of cars released in either the US or Canada and to which NAFTA applies to cannot be imported until a certain age. I am only familiar fully with Canadian law that states 15 years. A plethora of early/mid 90's Japanese RH drive cars like the Skyline, Supra, etc., have become common place around here these days since they are all older than 15 years. Lots of these cars had low mileage given that you can only drive so far on an island...

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-vehicle-parts

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Now I may be reading them wrong or not looking at the right info but it says that if it's under 25 years old it has to meet US safety and EPA standards before it can be brought it. I didn't see anything about having to wait 15 years, but once again I could be wrong or overlooked something.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-vehicle-parts

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Now I may be reading them wrong or not looking at the right info but it says that if it's under 25 years old it has to meet US safety and EPA standards before it can be brought it. I didn't see anything about having to wait 15 years, but once again I could be wrong or overlooked something.

QFT. Besides, C5 Avant's have been around since the 1998 model year, you could import a '98 A6 Avant according to Canadian rules.

Regardless of age or country of origin, if you plan to put a car on the road as a daily driver, it must meet or beat EPA and DOT standards in the US. The 25 years old "exception" is to title a car as an antique, in which case there are restrictions on where you can drive it, (Does the road have a "US" route number like US-66 that runs from the mid/southwest to California? Verboten!)
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    QFT. Besides, C5 Avant's have been around since the 1998 model year, you could import a '98 A6 Avant according to Canadian rules.

Regardless of age or country of origin, if you plan to put a car on the road as a daily driver, it must meet or beat EPA and DOT standards in the US. The 25 years old "exception" is to title a car as an antique, in which case there are restrictions on where you can drive it, (Does the road have a "US" route number like US-66 that runs from the mid/southwest to California? Verboten!)
    So it doesn't have to be 15 or older? Sorry lol I just wanna get the info right just in case I ever win the lotto lol. Was planning on picking up a 2009 rs6 so I was looking at all the rules of doing it. Wanna make sure I got it down for when it happens lol

So it doesn't have to be 15 or older? Sorry lol I just wanna get the info right just in case I ever win the lotto lol. Was planning on picking up a 2009 rs6 so I was looking at all the rules of doing it. Wanna make sure I got it down for when it happens lol
    Yes, in case you hit the lottery... You could buy a 2014 RS6 Avant from Germany and import it, there would just be a ton of hassle and paperwork. They may require you to purchase multiple so they can be crash-tested. The collective "we" need to all get on the same page for safety and environmental mandates for vehicles, as there's a hell of a lot of nice cars only available to the Euro market, us poor b******s in the states are starving for 'em...

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Yes, in case you hit the lottery... You could buy a 2014 RS6 Avant from Germany and import it, there would just be a ton of hassle and paperwork. They may require you to purchase multiple so they can be crash-tested. The collective "we" need to all get on the same page for safety and environmental mandates for vehicles, as there's a hell of a lot of nice cars only available to the Euro market, us poor b******s in the states are starving for 'em...

Other_Erik

no joke, if they had the 2009 RS6 here i would sell my kidney for it lol. sadly i dont have an extra 70 grand laying around to get one from UK of Germany.

So basically you can never import without a lot of trouble?

Please tell me yes cause I'm about to start building my own with my S6 and RS6 I already have!
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    So basically you can never import without a lot of trouble?

Please tell me yes cause I'm about to start building my own with my S6 and RS6 I already have!
    You can never import a car that wasn't offered for sale in the US without a lot of hassle and expense.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Other_Erik

The C5 RS6 Plus is on the approved US import list. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig101012c.pdf
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    The C5 RS6 Plus is on the approved US import list. http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig101012c.pdf
    You still have to jump through all the hoops etc ya?
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Korben007 View Post
    You still have to jump through all the hoops etc ya?
    Yeah, probably. broker/importer get a nice chunk of change too.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

gotta love those gray market cars! i bet ordering parts for it from an audi dealership is easy too
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    gotta love those gray market cars! i bet ordering parts for it from an audi dealership is easy too
    LOL the audi stealership here in San Antonio told me they wont even touch/order anything for an out of U.S audi

unfortunately it's the same way for Nissan's and JDM nismo stuff. why is that? i guess those parts aren't imported so it's harder for the company to sell? i'm not sure. all i know is if you want parts like that, it's better to go through an aftermarket company. the racing team i shoot for (370z's) can't even contact nismo in japan.
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint