Thread: Pathetic trade-in offer from stealership

Pathetic trade-in offer from stealership

My aftermarket service contract expires in February, so I'm weighing all my options. I had the car in the shop at Barrier Audi a few days ago (new thermostat, repaired prop shaft seal), and just for grins and giggles I asked the sales department to look at the car and let me know what they'd give me for a trade-in.

Now bear in mind that I bought the car AT BARRIER in February 2011. It had 81K then, and it has 93K now. It is not perfect (some very minor and easily-fixed exterior cosmetic damage), but it still looks great and runs like a champ.

Their offer: $12,000 -- less than half of what I paid for it, and over $6,000 less than KBB lists for an RS6 in "fair" condition (mine is better than fair).

I told the guy that the offer was a joke, and that I found it completely unbelievable that the car that they had sold me had somehow transformed itself from a very nice car to a worthless piece of junk in less than 3 years. (I asked how that was possible, and he said "I was still in college 3 years ago." Not exactly a good way to win customers.) I also told him that Barrier would certainly not be getting my business in the future if this is the way they treat potential returning customers.

In the meantime, I'm keeping and enjoying the car, and putting off to another day what I'll do as my service contract expiration date draws nearer.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude

How can I like Audi cars sooo much while hateing their dealerships by the same amount? My bet is that guy won't be there 18 months from now.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

A forum member once told me.

"used cars don't gain value".

2.5 years. I figure 10k would be about right. That's about 4k a year.

I would drive a RS6 for 4k a year.

Buy one of these new and see 10k/yr go out the window.

Well you know it's worth ~20k on the market I figure...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    A forum member once told me.

"used cars don't gain value".
    clearly he knows nothing about truly collectable cars. how much did that L88 vette go for a few weeks ago? i'm pretty sure it wasn't 4 million bucks new
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

I say no one take less than $100K for their RS6- We need to set the base market..;0
    210K miles rolled

He's just doing his job..you know...buying used cars for nothing to sell for too much...

....and I'll only take $75k for my car...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    I say no one take less than $100K for their RS6- We need to set the base market..;0
    ^^^this^^^
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

We should all just start listing them on eBay for 90 to 100k. I bet if there were a few dozen for sale at that price, the automotive press would cover it. Maybe.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    We should all just start listing them on eBay for 90 to 100k. I bet if there were a few dozen for sale at that price, the automotive press would cover it. Maybe.
    What he ^ said!
    -Maria
    ACNA Member
    2003 RS6

Big difference there. I said used cars not rare collector machines.

Said member has a Manhiem card as do I.

Clearly 12 is low but this is a trade in number and the first call. Open market on this car could reach 18-19 if your willing to put up with tire kickers for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    clearly he knows nothing about truly collectable cars. how much did that L88 vette go for a few weeks ago? i'm pretty sure it wasn't 4 million bucks new

Quote Originally Posted by vitalian View Post
    My aftermarket service contract expires in February, so I'm weighing all my options. I had the car in the shop at Barrier Audi a few days ago (new thermostat, repaired prop shaft seal), and just for grins and giggles I asked the sales department to look at the car and let me know what they'd give me for a trade-in.

Now bear in mind that I bought the car AT BARRIER in February 2011. It had 81K then, and it has 93K now. It is not perfect (some very minor and easily-fixed exterior cosmetic damage), but it still looks great and runs like a champ.

Their offer: $12,000 -- less than half of what I paid for it, and over $6,000 less than KBB lists for an RS6 in "fair" condition (mine is better than fair).

I told the guy that the offer was a joke, and that I found it completely unbelievable that the car that they had sold me had somehow transformed itself from a very nice car to a worthless piece of junk in less than 3 years. (I asked how that was possible, and he said "I was still in college 3 years ago." Not exactly a good way to win customers.) I also told him that Barrier would certainly not be getting my business in the future if this is the way they treat potential returning customers.

In the meantime, I'm keeping and enjoying the car, and putting off to another day what I'll do as my service contract expiration date draws nearer.
    BARRIER sucks...

University Audi is a much better place. And you get that look from all the A4 or allroad owners - "WTF is THAT?!?!?"

Remember - Mugello Blue AND Ebony is not a common color combo and there are some members here that waited a long time for the right one to show up.
    Elliot Bay motors might be a nice local place to consign.
    Park Place is ok and they have the clients and marketing and financing (god forbid that someone finances an RS6?!?!? See other threads)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hi Ben -- I have already talked to Elliot Bay Auto Brokers about making an appointment for them to take a look at my beast to let me know what they think they could sell it for. And Barrier does indeed suck.

Dave and iswing -- The service guys at Barrier (who are awesome, unlike their sales crew) agreed with me that I could easily get $19-20K on Autotrader, and thought the sales department was smoking crack. I am well aware that used cars don't gain value, but $12K is an insult.

4everRS -- What you said. These clowns told me this car was the greatest thing on earth when they sold it to me, and now they're telling me they wouldn't even sell it at their dealership and that they would have to send it to an auction. Apparently, they are not only sleazy, but they also think I am an idiot.

Lastly, I am only exploring my options and have not yet decided whether to sell my car. The only decision that I have made for certain is that I will NOT be doing business with Barrier.
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue/Ebony - SOLD :-(
    2015 S5 Coupe, Mythos Black w/Black Optics package and an attitude