Thread: RS6 Tranny - oil leak

Mech RS6 Tranny - oil leak

Just came back from my 21-day European vacation, and the RS6 started up right away.
    Unfortunately there were 3 oil leaks identified, and needed immediate attention.

The third oil leak seems to be in the tranny area, at least I think so. Possibly transfer case?
    Hope someone is able to identify it and provide useful information.
    Anything major I should be worried about?

Car going in for service.

Front diff side drive flange seal. Could be a pandora's box if the diff bearing race is getting loose in the housing.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Thank you Kevin. Front bumper removal required?

Minor update:
    The svc department is not entirely sure the leak is actually coming from this area. They are going to clean it up, leave it for the weekend, and test drive it after other work (on this car) on Monday.
    The plan is to add some color to the liquid and best verify where it is coming from before proceeding with work.

I had a similar looking leak that was caused by a leak at the oil filter gasket (seal)!!!! I know, I know!... Probably operator error when changing the oil. Felt like such an idiot when I was able to twist (by hand) the oil filter another complete 1.5 turns... Just say'n...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

It's difficult to get the oil filter tight enough on this car. I can just get a Matco articulated band wrench over an Amsoil filter to tighten it properly to my standards. A plastic handled rubber strap wrench also works.

Even on a car lift using both hands still isn't quite "there".
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Judging by the picture doesn't look like the drive flange seal is leaking. It might be seaping enough to partially cause the grime buildup, however.

It's a 10yr old car-- The time and cost to do a dye test on the front diff, may be better spent replacing the seal? I always vaccum out the old oil at the same time. Good opportunity to put in better gear oil with the fresh seal.

I second the warning regarding excessive axial drive flange play. My drivetrain guy says it's the carrier that goes bad- not cheap. Might as well put in a Quaife or Torsen...
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Just received the latest news......

The leak ends up being the valve cover. Small leak apparently, and the svc dept says that an engine pull is required for the change. I would go about changing both sides if that is the case. I am sure a couple of other things could be done, such as timing belt given I'm at 60K miles.
    Does it really require that much labor?

Engine removal isn't needed. Valve covers are about 8 hrs labor. If doing the t-belt might as well do it right and replace
    everything.
    Cheers, G2/Gary

No way would I pull the driveline to replace vc gaskets.

They can be done engine in the car. Ez pz

Nor would I do the tb early because of #1 above. Even if you do vc in the car. Leave the tb till its time.

Snug up the vc bolts and clean off oil. Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Just received the latest news......

The leak ends up being the valve cover. Small leak apparently, and the svc dept says that an engine pull is required for the change. I would go about changing both sides if that is the case. I am sure a couple of other things could be done, such as timing belt given I'm at 60K miles.
    Does it really require that much labor?

Thanks for the feedback folks. Picking up car tomorrow and check it out myself.
    He said one side would be easy to do, but that side is not leaking. The other had a bunch of other stuff in the way and easier to drop the engine.
    Lets see what I can do without having to go the removal route.