Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas mileage....stupid topic I know.

You are not really calculating anything unless you divide miles by gallons. Going off the computer MPG calculations will be off several MPG. This site is great for tracking fuel economy and great for sharing it during times like this:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/agregory23/rs6

Not to mention you can browse all the cars without an account. Comes in handy when considering the purchase of a commute car.
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

Finished the road trip

430 miles, of which 350 was all-highway. 25 gallons all told, not bad
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I paper measure 75% of the time.

70% hwy but at 85mph which lowers mileage.

17.5mpg w/Aces on the RS6.

With my old E55 it would hit 19 mpg but only with Aces. 2mpg less w/o Aces.

Your Aces mileage may vary because AZ has some of the worst fuel quality in the country. 91 Ethanol

I run Aces all the time.

Just checked mine after a 430 mile trip. All highway with some sitting in road construction, then arrived in CT at 5:30 pm as the entire state left work.

Computer showed 23.2, real world with a calculator was 22 even. Running Shell 93 octane.

That sounds about right.
    2013 Audi S8

bmlee, when you were driving at hwy speeds, where did you set your cruise?

What mods do you guys have that are getting 22mpg? The absolute BEST I have ever gotten is 18. And that was coming back from Tahoe out of the Sierras with gravity on my side. This is with our lovely California 91 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynmicracr View Post
    What mods do you guys have that are getting 22mpg? The absolute BEST I have ever gotten is 18. And that was coming back from Tahoe out of the Sierras with gravity on my side. This is with our lovely California 91 octane.
    QFT, and so tired of ethanol.
    Real-world experience, last couple cars I've owned.
    Current Grand Prix GTP (modded for power, not economy) - drove it from Northern VA down to Southern VA for a weekend getaway, all highway miles, cruise set at 61 in 55 zones, 73 in 65 zones, tank full of 10% ethanol $#!+gas (14.9 gal), was on fumes after 180 miles. Filled up with Non-Ethanol 93 octane. Drove around for a couple of days (some spirited driving included), put another 60 miles on the odometer, and drove back the 180 miles on the same highways, with a bit more stop and go traffic as I got close to home. Parked out on the street and took a look at the gas gauge - still right around a quarter. That means I got ~12.4mpg with 10% ethanol (180miles/14.5gal) and ~21.3mpg on non-ethanol (240 miles/11.25 gal)

Previous Grand Prix GTP (very lightly modded) - drove from NOVA to Ocean City (~175 miles each way) same type of scenario, full tank, 10% ethanol, 14.9 gal, rolled the car down to pick up marina gas (closest filler available) - 91 octane no ethanol, did some spirited driving around OC, another 20 miles or so, and did the 175 miles back, got home with ~1/3 tank left...

I could go on, but I think you all get my point. Anyone not within 75 (or is it 100 now?) miles of a major metropolitan area is at a serious advantage on gas mileage, not just because of less stop & go traffic, but because it's not EPA-mandated to blend corn alcohol into the gas to appease the corn lobby.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    QFT, and so tired of ethanol.
    Real-world experience, last couple cars I've owned.
    Current Grand Prix GTP (modded for power, not economy) - drove it from Northern VA down to Southern VA for a weekend getaway, all highway miles, cruise set at 61 in 55 zones, 73 in 65 zones, tank full of 10% ethanol $#!+gas (14.9 gal), was on fumes after 180 miles. Filled up with Non-Ethanol 93 octane. Drove around for a couple of days (some spirited driving included), put another 60 miles on the odometer, and drove back the 180 miles on the same highways, with a bit more stop and go traffic as I got close to home. Parked out on the street and took a look at the gas gauge - still right around a quarter. That means I got ~12.4mpg with 10% ethanol (180miles/14.5gal) and ~21.3mpg on non-ethanol (240 miles/11.25 gal)

Previous Grand Prix GTP (very lightly modded) - drove from NOVA to Ocean City (~175 miles each way) same type of scenario, full tank, 10% ethanol, 14.9 gal, rolled the car down to pick up marina gas (closest filler available) - 91 octane no ethanol, did some spirited driving around OC, another 20 miles or so, and did the 175 miles back, got home with ~1/3 tank left...

I could go on, but I think you all get my point. Anyone not within 75 (or is it 100 now?) miles of a major metropolitan area is at a serious advantage on gas mileage, not just because of less stop & go traffic, but because it's not EPA-mandated to blend corn alcohol into the gas to appease the corn lobby.
    Corn lobby is destroying this country between making us fat and wreaking havoc on our fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    bmlee, when you were driving at hwy speeds, where did you set your cruise?
    Set the cruise right at 70 through PA and NY, then drove whatever the road would give me in CT.

Only mod I have right now is the FMU intake. I don't have any power before/after numbers, but the ear and the ass tell me it breathes better and accelerates a little quicker than stock. At normal highway cruising, it purrs like a kitten. The 2 extra octane we get here on the East coast helps too, though I've never tried any of the additives to see if there is extra mileage hidden in the tank.

+1000

Factor in the monopoly on genetic modified grain that Monsanto makes the farmers take, grow and feed us. That will make you want to drive up to K street and feed them the same pile of crap that gets put on our plates.

Ethanol looks to take a cool 20% or so off fuel economy.

Corn lobby is destroying this country between making us fat and wreaking havoc on our fuel consumption.

I got a good hwy reading recently and did it off the fill up/count miles/count gallons consumed method. It was 22.3 over about 600 miles of 76-77 mph hwy driving. The trip computer also read the same thing, so in this instance it was not off.

22.3 mpg that is

Have a 2004 ABT with 157,000 km on it.
    I get about 14 mpg.
    But I live in the United Arab Emirates, so the AC is always on and I often let the interior cool down a little before driving.
    Gas is about 50 cents a litre (you do the math for gallons).
    The cost of fuelling the rocket is the same each week as my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, back home in Alberta, Canada.