Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Slipping 3rd to 4th when hot...

Thanks for the details, will report back later tonight, along with keeping an eye on the temp sensor code.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

^Bummer to hear about the issue- Good luck with a quick resolution
    210K miles rolled

200-300 hard shifts under WOT over the last 8 or so months? I probably put 100-200 hard shifts on the car on my way back from CT after putting the MTM TCU in the car (thanks TTBoost!). You are a very well behaved individual in the RS6! That MTM TCU is awesome. I'd love to know what the difference is net in tenths on a 1/4 mile. My bet would be at least a tenth per shift.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Thanks, but no can do, bad back keeps me from operating a clutch more than on the weekends. Maybe down the road...waiting 4-5 years for the RS7 to show up used for $40-50k, then the RS6 can be a track/toy and not daily.

Might just need more cooling, being optimistic. Drove the hell out of the car on many occasions this spring when it was cooler, no issues even after hours. I've certainly hit the clutch's hard on many occasions, and the car has great power, really hoping it didn't eat another trans, but only have about 200-300 hard shifts on it under full throttle...

Well, off to a good start. Nothing much regarding clutch debris in the fluid. Back to stock fluid and 1/4" trimmed pickup on the filter. Got a nice drive in, two 3rd gear pulls to "60" and no shudder or slip to 4th. Day was cooler which could help a bit, but certainly better it seems.

I'll go for a drive soon and check trans fluid temps to see where it's at.

Current thinking is pickup trimmed too much, causing foaming of fluid, setting off temp sensor to read implausible, along with lack of pressure allowing the slip.

Time will tell, but makes me realize you only want to press so much power into the auto trans, rebuilt or not...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kgnast View Post
    200-300 hard shifts under WOT over the last 8 or so months? I probably put 100-200 hard shifts on the car on my way back from CT after putting the MTM TCU in the car (thanks TTBoost!). You are a very well behaved individual in the RS6! That MTM TCU is awesome. I'd love to know what the difference is net in tenths on a 1/4 mile. My bet would be at least a tenth per shift.
    No problem bud..wish I had my car home...a ride in that would've changed everything....
    2013 Audi S8

And it's back....I added a bit more boost and fuel, car felt faster and great, then after warmed up good shuddered and slipped up to 4th during a 3rd gear pull. Other than that, all's fine...so how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Crap....not the worst if it will hold together. During normal acceleration the trans enters 3rd much higher rpm than when data logging, and has shuddered, but not slipped. If I start in 3rd, shudders good around 3,500 then pops around 4-4,500 up to 4th, goes about it's business and seems fine otherwise.

Makes we wonder about few things, and I'll have to email Tozo, but even this spring when I was doing some fast driving, I noticed the shudder from the trans. Maybe the VB is not putting enough pressure?...or do the upgraded clutch packs last longer but not have as much grip?

All seems well on a moderate tuned amount of power, but when I try and max out the tune, now with the Wagners making it a bit better, there goes the slip....

I can live with it, but it does inhibit data logging, seems to stick together otherwise. Fluid and filter topped off and good, never got a lot of particles so I don't think the clutch packs are shot, just not holding for some reason...if it lasts I'll be happy, but I would like to find a fix if possible to get that extra bit of power to the wheels...

Oh yes, Tran Temp sensor code intermittent is there all the time now...trans temps are not bad, reading around 200F during this....

Does it slip when you power brake it when hot? Dirve....brake on.....run it up to the TC stall speed (~1800)....slips then slams?

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Does it slip when you power brake it when hot? Dirve....brake on.....run it up to the TC stall speed (~1800)....slips then slams?
    Hasn't before...but I'll give it another try this week. What you thinking?

Mine (both Thing One and Thing Two) would slip if you power braked them when hot. Thing One was my first and what I learned was after she got hot, she would slip....sometimes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....but never in 5th.....When she was cold she was ok.....but put some heat in her....after say 20-30 miles, she would slip. If she slips when hot as you run her up in first when you power brake her , I suggest it's the A-clutch oring....she will hold till about 1500 rpm, then slip....then slam back into gear...the trans may or may not go into limp mode....

Interesting, hoping something small like an o-ring isn't it...thanks for the testing tip.

Trans feels great all around, and never felt a slip when accelerating through gears...it's just that hard pull in third when starting lower in the gear...

Live with it till it dies......that's my wife's theory.

Live with it till it dies......that's my wife's theory.
    Only little problem is this is a brand new trans....well, 4k now....

Mine (both Thing One and Thing Two) would slip if you power braked them when hot. Thing One was my first and what I learned was after she got hot, she would slip....sometimes in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th....but never in 5th.....When she was cold she was ok.....but put some heat in her....after say 20-30 miles, she would slip. If she slips when hot as you run her up in first when you power brake her , I suggest it's the A-clutch oring....she will hold till about 1500 rpm, then slip....then slam back into gear...the trans may or may not go into limp mode....
    Were you tuned when this was happening? If I back the tune off a bit, trans holds, and still WAY faster than stock. Pressing the limits she starts to slip...

Were you tuned when this was happening? If I back the tune off a bit, trans holds, and still WAY faster than stock. Pressing the limits she starts to slip...
    Both tuned....Thing One is Sportec....Thing 2 is GAIC.....both pushing a little over 500 I guess.....I flog Thing 2 daily as she is mine....3k on a trans, T/C I got off eBay for $600......

Well, shudder is what I've got...

http://www.lubegard.com/SearchByCate...+Shudder+Fixx#

Lou,

I just noticed this post on rs246.com. Owner was having trans problems and noted that the TC would not lock with trans temp sensor failure. It may be worth lookking into...

ATF temp sender so the TC wouldn't lock. So, I sent the VB off to 517trans and they rebuilt it. MRC replaced the VB loom and also found the engine oil overfilled by AmD. They also rectified a leak to the turbos with engine in situ which AmD wanted to perform an engine pull.
    The car has been on the dyno without any gearbox slip and a test drive didn't find any slip either, so I'm very happy.
    It'll be painful getting back into the 'loon, I'm sure a manual in the C5 is just wrong, it's great on track but everywhere else I'm sure the tiptro comes out on top.

Well, still acting up here, figured I'd post for some extra input...

Went out to log data on a warm day here, 85, had been driving around the city for a while so car was reading 90 on the display. First run in 3rd, Tip manual shift mode, shudders around 3,000 then pops into 4th around 4,500rpm, so much for logging, onto the problem.

Trans is 8 months old, upgraded A clutch pack after rebuild. Trans fluid flushed and confirmed filled to the top. Got some input from Tozo; I mentioned I had pulled the Aux radiators last year; he said trans fluid could be overheating/foaming and not being able to hold enough pressure to keep in gear.

Any other thoughts on why the fluid would be getting so hot?

Also for the first time got a trans code, scanned right when I got home; Trans Temp Sensor, reading implausible...hmmm, so that means it's hot I'm guessing, or just odd timing with a wiring issue. Car has full boost and more than enough power, too much apparently.

Also wonder if the notches we cut in the trimmed trans filter pickup might be adding to the fluid foaming? Don't know really. Thinking a flush with new fluid and filter, trim pickup just a bit this time, see how things look in there.

Just fishing, thanks for any ideas/input....

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Lou,

I just noticed this post on rs246.com. Owner was having trans problems and noted that the TC would not lock with trans temp sensor failure. It may be worth lookking into...

ATF temp sender so the TC wouldn't lock. So, I sent the VB off to 517trans and they rebuilt it. MRC replaced the VB loom and also found the engine oil overfilled by AmD. They also rectified a leak to the turbos with engine in situ which AmD wanted to perform an engine pull.
    The car has been on the dyno without any gearbox slip and a test drive didn't find any slip either, so I'm very happy.
    It'll be painful getting back into the 'loon, I'm sure a manual in the C5 is just wrong, it's great on track but everywhere else I'm sure the tiptro comes out on top.

Very interesting, thank you sir! Checking in with Tozo on this. I'll try some driving with the laptop and watch for it to close. Odd enough this whole year it seems like the TC has been slow to lockup on hills, hmmm...