Thread: Whistling boost leak

Whistling boost leak

Well, there's always something new to expect with our cars. Started to get a loud whistling sound from the engine when under boost, and ran a check and have code 17705, "Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)". Haven't been able to find anything on the forum about diverter valves going south, or if that would make this kind of whistling sound. Any input would be appreciated. Could be a crack in a hose or loose clamp, I suppose, but another trip into the shop. Sigh. Wifey is on the "get rid of that thing" kick right now...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Umm, the stock plastic DV's go bad more often on the RS6 than pretty much any other turbocharged car I've ever seen

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4...harger/ES8818/
    Take 2 and call the VAG-COM in the morning

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Yeah the DV's were replaced on my car with Stratmosphere DV's. Not sure of why because previous owner installed, but I assume because stock one failed. Not sure why else to change.
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kmartens View Post
    Yeah the DV's were replaced on my car with Stratmosphere DV's. Not sure of why because previous owner installed, but I assume because stock one failed. Not sure why else to change.
    Preventative maintenance? If it weren't so involved, I'd be dropping the stock plastics off my beast and moving up to the linked above this weekend. Unfortunately, other car needs work to be road-ready before I can put any more time/money into the RS
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Ygm.....1234
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Umm, the stock plastic DV's go bad more often on the RS6 than pretty much any other turbocharged car I've ever seen

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4...harger/ES8818/
    Take 2 and call the VAG-COM in the morning

Other_Erik

Isnt that the Dv that makes you sound like a flock of geese?
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Wifey is on the "get rid of that thing" kick right now...
    I get that every few months! I try the, "it's a modified sports car" line, and any of my cars would be like this. Also she occasionally buys $350 shoes, and agrees it's fiscally irresponsible like my car, we all have our vices...

Boost, vacuum, DV sounds like, how does it mess with performance?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    I get that every few months!
    Ha, yes, she usually settles down quickly, especially after a few comments on how nice this week's new clothing purchase looks on her!
    Have not noticed any difference with routine easy driving, averaged 21.5 mpg to and from Monterey today (yes, ACES IV in the tank), but when I stomped on it to merge in front of some 12 wheelers onto highway 101, there was certainly less power than usual as the sucking whistle returned. As Benjamin suggested, I suspect this is one of the vacuum hoses and not the DV. Despite some of the above comments, I really can't find many saying their DV went bad, though I would guess that some replaced it thinking this would somehow be better than stock. The APR DV is the honker, if I recall, and it never seemed like worth doing...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quick smoke test at the shop should confirm and find it!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Had the same thing on mine after the trans shop got done. They missed a turbo hose clamp and it was a 10 minute fix. Worked fine at half-3/4 throttle. Under full throttle it would blow the hose loose.

Well, turns out one of the lower intercooler hoses is warped and pulled away from the clamp, causing the issue. The other hose doesn't look as bad, but is fraying at the clamp. $237 each for this short segment of hose! Also found that the code I have been getting for some time, 18393 coolant module 2, malfunction, is due to the smaller fan being toast. The larger fan is probably going as well. Due to the location and the need to pull the front off the car for this, I'll be out nearly $4000 for this fix. Wifey's exhortations to say goodbye to the beast are getting louder...

Ouch, that's brutal pricing. You can get all hoses upgraded for $250, that much more for install. Thought the front came off in a few hours. Seems like $1500 or so would be a better price. Good mechanic at a good price is, well, priceless...

Good luck there!

You need a new shop. Front can be off in an hour, back on in another. There isn't more than 4 hours work there for a competent mechanic.

It is at the dealer, Stevens Creek Audi, as we are down on cars (daughter's hit in a parking lot and in the body shop), and I thought this would be a quick fix and get a loaner for a day. Not at my usual shop. I actually went there this morning to just grab the car from them, and they offered to put the car up so I could see the hoses. Still almost said "fine, just fix the one hose" but the head mechanic, who also is an instructor in our driving schools locally, was pretty adamant about the fans. You know, it's not just about the $$, but the feeling that you are being "hosed"...
    Was driving a new S4 as the loaner over the weekend, and while it is a nice car, it is not anywhere near the RS6 and I could never drop down to that.

my Venair hoses in Red with clamps are still available
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    It is at the dealer, Stevens Creek Audi, as we are down on cars (daughter's hit in a parking lot and in the body shop), and I thought this would be a quick fix and get a loaner for a day. Not at my usual shop. I actually went there this morning to just grab the car from them, and they offered to put the car up so I could see the hoses. Still almost said "fine, just fix the one hose" but the head mechanic, who also is an instructor in our driving schools locally, was pretty adamant about the fans. You know, it's not just about the $$, but the feeling that you are being "hosed"...
    Was driving a new S4 as the loaner over the weekend, and while it is a nice car, it is not anywhere near the RS6 and I could never drop down to that.
    It's not just a "feeling"....you were. For 4k, I'd have flown out there....brought my own turbo hose (I've got an extra), replaced your fan, did your timing belt and handed you a $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    my Venair hoses in Red with clamps are still available
    Benjamin, your price was a lot better than what I heard today!

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    It's not just a "feeling"....you were. For 4k, I'd have flown out there....brought my own turbo hose (I've got an extra), replaced your fan, did your timing belt and handed you a $1000.
    I'll consider a drive to Park City when I need my timing belt done again