Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Black 2004 RS6. 96k+ miles. Grey market (Canadian). Needs TLC. $13000. MD/VA

FS: Black 2004 RS6. 96k+ miles. Grey market (Canadian). Needs TLC. $13000. MD/VA

I realize that i might get some flack on this forum for not taking absolute care of this car, but I take it out every couple weeks to keep the fluids running. And there's nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed with a bit of TLC (especially by the members on this board). This is my third car, and I'm considering moving overseas and it just doesn't make sense for me to keep it anymore. I'm hoping somebody on here with experience fixing these up will be interested by the low price, and I'm trying to disclose absolutely everything I can think of that might be an issue.

Located in 20878, Gaithersburg, MD.

For Sale: Black 2004 Audi RS6. 96k+ miles. Grey market - Canadian VIN. Needs maintenance / repairs.

Asking 13000.

VIN: WUAPV64B94N901510

KBB is 21k for excellent, 20k for Very Good / Good, and 18k for fair (using 2003 Audi RS6 as the basis). Put a couple thousand into this, and you'll have an amazing, reliable car.

I'm looking to sell my Canadian 2004 Audi C5 RS6, for a very low price, with the caveats that it's a Canadian VIN, it needs some maintenance, and it has some issues. I'm mainly looking for a car guy (or girl) who is willing to put some time and a bit of money into getting this up to speed, but wants to have an amazing car. I have too many cars and might be going overseas, and I don't have the time or money to put into this.

I realize this has a lot of bad points, but put a bit of TLC and a bit of money into this car and you have can have a beast of a car for a very good price.

Good:
    -Solid car, pretty much one of the fastest cars on the road, even today.
    -Twin turbo V8, monstrous torque and power (428 lb-ft of torque, 444 bhp)
    -Drivetrain is solid - no issues ever with engine, transmission, etc. (other than needing maintenance).
    -Pretty unique.
    -I've taken pretty good care of it - when I came up on the major maintenance schedule, I pretty much stopped driving it rather than risk damage to the interference engine.
    -Overall pretty good condition for the age - couple of scratches here and there, but it's almost 10 years old.
    -Will come with 6 additional wheels - I think they're BBS somethings, I'll have to go home and check. They're a bit curbed, but they could be refurbished pretty easily. These are worth an additional thousand, at a minimum.
    -Price

Neutral:
    -Has been sitting in the garage for the better part of the last couple months. About once a month I'll take it out to keep the fluids running and the battery charged, but other than that it's a garage queen / project car.

Bad:
    -Canadian grey market car. It currently has a Maryland (clean) title. However, the VIN does not show up in all American databases, so it might cause paperwork issues. Once you get it properly titled and registered it should be okay - I think I've done most of the paperwork required for that, but do some research before you buy. Every year I get a call from my insurance company asking me to verify the VIN because they don't recognize it as valid, and Carmax will not buy it.
    -Speedometer is in km/hr - this goes with the above. The odometer is in both miles and km, but the speedo is in km/hr. You'll have to learn to do conversions in your head (or just watch your speed), and it might be a bit weird for safety inspections (all I had to do for MD was put a sticky note listing 1mi = 1.6km).
    -Flat tire - the car has one flat tire (it is currently on a spare) but this being an AWD car means that all four tires probably need to be replaced. You're looking for 255/40-18 XL tires (on Tire Rack, look for the 2003 Audi RS6 - the RS6 was not available in the US in 2004).
    -Needs timing belt and water pump - It's due for scheduled maintenance (actually, it's past due a couple hundred miles). I got quotes for 6500 from the dealer, and 3200 from an independent shop. Or you can do it yourself, but you really should only do this if you know what you're doing, because this is supposedly a pretty complicated engine.
    -Auto-adjusting headlights don't auto-adjust - This causes a dash indicator. I think it might be a relatively easy fix (misconnected cable) - but I'm really not sure.
    -Rear driverside window issues - sometimes does not roll up (it seems to think that something is blocking it, so it'll roll up partially and then roll back down, like a safety feature).
    -Broken armrest and ashtray - the armrest is not properly attached. If you don't open and close it, it's fine and stays in place, but it's not attached. And the ashtray is missing a trim piece, which also affects its opening and closing.
    -Windshield wiper fluid hose damaged - some of the hoses to the headlight sprayers are damaged, and probably need to be replaced. It leaks windshield wiper fluid.
    -Intermittent ABS light - every once in a while, the ABS light on the dash will light up. I am not sure what this is indicative of, and it turns off when you restart the car. It might be an ABS sensor, or it might need a new ABS module.
    -Repainted hood and front fenders - the car was vandalized about a year ago when some high school kids went down my street and painted half a dozen cars. Got it repainted at a shop, so you really can't tell, but yes, it was repainted.
    -Temp sensors (oil and coolant) not working - neither one moves. I assume it means the sensors are bad, and not that the car is cold all the time.
    -Cracked front bumper

Anyways, it's got a lot of small issues and needs some big maintenance, but I'm willing to let it go for a very good price - just shoot me an offer.

Pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zyjgkr9s82ovvtn/yu1OLsBsdl (taken with a phone - let me know if you need better pictures)

justin.r.lee+rs6@gmail.com
    240-645-7788
    Last edited by justinrlee; August 2nd, 2013 at 19:36.

Oh....Looking at those pictures made me cringe. its like watching a sarah mclachlan SPCA commercial. all I can think is someone needs to put it out of its misery! its a perfect S6 conversion donor car!!!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    Oh....Looking at those pictures made me cringe. its like watching a sarah mclachlan SPCA commercial. all I can think is someone needs to put it out of its misery! its a perfect S6 conversion donor car!!!
    I realize it's not in the same perfect condition that some of y'all keep it in, but it's not honestly that bad, is it?

It basically needs a new bumper, a detail/repaint, and a timing belt / water pump change, and it'll be in pretty decent condition, good for another 50-100k miles. That's why the price is so low.

How much do you want for the BBS's separately? (assuming there are 4 of them? or is there 6?)
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Not too bad, just needs some TLC.
    Get that TIRE fixed! you are gonna F up the trans/diff and toss some codes...

I am surprised that you DON'T have it listed in some of the Canadian Auto Trader sites as the 90 Canadian C5 RS6 are rare and sought after.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Not too bad, just needs some TLC.
    Get that TIRE fixed! you are gonna F up the trans/diff and toss some codes...

I am surprised that you DON'T have it listed in some of the Canadian Auto Trader sites as the 90 Canadian C5 RS6 are rare and sought after.
    Oh, I don't actually drive it that much (I know it can destroy the transmission). I'll pretty much circle around my block a couple times to make sure fluids are flowing, etc. Unless that'll mess up the transmission, as well?

Thanks for the heads up - I'll put it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by kmartens View Post
    How much do you want for the BBS's separately? (assuming there are 4 of them? or is there 6?)
    There are six of them. I kind of wanna hold on to them for now until I sell the car, but I'll let you know. They're a bit curbed (came to me that way) - I was originally gonna either (a) use them with snow tires or (b) put tires on five or six, so I had a full set with fullsize spare.

Quote Originally Posted by justinrlee View Post
    There are six of them. I kind of wanna hold on to them for now until I sell the car, but I'll let you know. They're a bit curbed (came to me that way) - I was originally gonna either (a) use them with snow tires or (b) put tires on five or six, so I had a full set with fullsize spare.

OK thanks, Let me know. Depending on how bad curb rash is I could get them refinished.
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Just what the hell is a Canadian Grey Market car??? If it's a 2004, then it's a Canadian car. It's that simple. 1 of 90. What the heck are you doing trying to sell it in the US? There is certain to be a Canadian wanting to purchase the car in Canada where they wouldn't be subject to import and duty charges.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Just what the hell is a Canadian Grey Market car??? If it's a 2004, then it's a Canadian car. It's that simple. 1 of 90. What the heck are you doing trying to sell it in the US? There is certain to be a Canadian wanting to purchase the car in Canada where they wouldn't be subject to import and duty charges.
    It's currently titled and registered in Maryland. As far as the US is concerned (insurance, etc.), it's "Grey Market" (or at least that's what all the insurance companies who tell me they won't insure me tell me - most of the more conservative insurance companies, like Progressive, won't touch the car, because it's got a VIN that doesn't show up in the US databases. I'll start looking into the Canadian Audi forums (apparently Canadian autotrader won't let you post unless you're actually in Canada).

Also, I've already paid to import it into the USA. I don't know the paperwork required to export it back to Canada.

Also, I've already paid to import it into the USA. I don't know the paperwork required to export it back to Canada.
    The paperwork is simple. An export doc showing the vehicle leaving the US and an import doc showing it reentering Canada. The benefit to a Canadian buyer is that he cannot be hit with GST, Duty, or RIV fees because it's a Canadian vehicle. This is worth at least 10% the value of the purchase. Also, MD is a hop skip and jump from eastern parts of Canada which would make it easy for a purchaser to perform a trek south to pick-up and drive back.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I have a low offer if your interested
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

Depends on how low your low offer is. Shoot me a text/email/pm.

Holding puke in mouth.....bleh, bleh......poor car.....ok, just giving you crap, but she's roughed up, at least you have the real spare! Could be a nice project for a good price...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Not too bad, but it seems I recall one in about the same condition being loaded into a crusher by a loader?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Not too bad, but it seems I recall one in about the same condition being loaded into a crusher by a loader?
    Hmm. Not sure, but not mine. Either that car was in much worse condition than mine, or there was a big mistake.

This car is actually not in that bad of a condition - I just want full disclosure of every little issue. It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. One of my friends was pretty happy with the condition and price, but he moved into DC and doesn't have a parking spot.

Wish I lived on the east coast for this opportunity. 13K is a song. For all the naysayers that think this isn't reasonable, shame on you. It has trivial things wrong with it. Yes, trivial. Many of those items aside from the cracked bumper can be repaired by a good number of members on this forum. You just have to want to is all. Car is 9 years old (not 10 like all those in the US) and it always surprises me on how many people want these to be pristine. Yes I realize a lot of fellow board members have cars that are, but there are equally as many members that have cars with regular wear and tear like this.

Flat tire = get a new tire
    Metric Speedo = everywhere in the world aside from the US is metric....
    Timing Belt/Water pump = regular wear and tear item that we all expect to replace on these cars
    Auto adjusting headlights not adjusting = broken plastic arm between control arm and sensor
    Windshield wiper hoses leaking = new hoses
    ABS light = the one item I can't speak to. Have had one light up on each car here at some point, but it magically stopped a couple of years ago....
    Repainted hood and fenders = big deal
    Oil & coolant temperature sensors = change gauges or sensors
    Cracked front bumper = body shop to repair

For a 450hp Autobaun speedboat like this - $13K is a song - considering the original buyer for this in Canada shelled out a cool $120K+7% tax to buy new...

I realize it's not in the same perfect condition that some of y'all keep it in, but it's not honestly that bad, is it?

It basically needs a new bumper, a detail/repaint, and a timing belt / water pump change, and it'll be in pretty decent condition, good for another 50-100k miles. That's why the price is so low.
    Its probably not as bad as I think, I'm know I'm super OCD about my cars and so it makes me cringe! In your cars defense I cringe at 60% of the cars I see on a daily basis. But it's still seems sad...but I agree the price is good!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp