Thread: Torque Converter and or Transmission failures related to production dates and VIN's

Threaded View

Torque Converter and or Transmission failures related to production dates and VIN's

We have been scattering a few data points on the wall lately and the theory is holding some water.

Early VIN(early prod date) = early failure of TC and or transmission.

Late VIN(later prod date or 2004's in europe) = longer life of both the TC and transmission.

So lets see if we can pin down the approx build date and or VIN sequence that the cars all of a sudden started holding the TC to a normal lifespan of say 100k.

My guess is somewhere between 905400 and 905500 and build dates around Aug 03 which would have been 2004's in other countries than the USA.

In Europe we can compare results by the production dates. I took a quick glance over on RS246.com and pistonheads and noticed that the 04 RS6 owners dont seem to be having TC problems. Where the 03 owners all have the problem and early at that.

So, if you know your cars early history then post up the VIN/build date and report if any TC/trans work has been done and when. You may post the VIN as 90546x but put the build date on the post. I will poke around RS246.com and ask for input over there as well. These were all built on the same assembly line and if the TC was updated it would cover all RS6s from a particular build date.

Post up
    Last edited by DHall1; July 24th, 2013 at 07:40.