Thread: Torque Converter and or Transmission failures related to production dates and VIN's

Hybrid View

Thank you. It's 2k vs 5k, and the man/myth/legend Tozo is right up the road. Will do the 2k TC replacement and do the 120k mile service. Probably will list it here and lose interest in selling it when it's all dialed in. Thank you very much for your honest, informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy312 View Post
    Thank you. It's 2k vs 5k, and the man/myth/legend Tozo is right up the road. Will do the 2k TC replacement and do the 120k mile service. Probably will list it here and lose interest in selling it when it's all dialed in. Thank you very much for your honest, informed opinion.
    Yea, I've been through this circus a few times. I bought the car with a bad TC, but under warranty, so $500 for the new TC and $3k for labor and that was that, I left my original trans in with 86k on it.

A year later at 93k, that original trans failed. Luckily my mechanic is great, and this time it was $2k labor, and a new trans from Tozo for $3.5k.

Eight months later at 96k I started to get some serious gear slip under WOT; I believe I had toasted the clutches after too much hard driving; Tozo had warned me about the rebuilt trans not being bulletproof due to many factors, especially the size and strength of the clutch packs. He's a standup guy and warrantied my trans, I covered shipping and helped with some cash, so another $1k there, and another $2k for the labor.

Needless to say, I'm driving with a bit more caution these days. Still plenty of WOT, just not shifting at redline under full throttle, helps a ton I'm sure. If I were betting on your trans life with your driving habits I'd take the under at 150k, but still think you could get more miles out of it, especially if you fixed the TC soon after each fail, reducing wear on the trans. Good luck and keep us updated!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thank you, I will. For the past few years, every time I have to put money into this car, I think of selling it. After it's back to perfect working order, I'm convinced that I will keep it forever. My brother just bought a new car and told me it puts a smile on his face every time he drives it. I told him I have had that feeling for 11 years. There is something really special about these cars, if you can afford to maintain them...