Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Torque Converter and or Transmission failures related to production dates and VIN's

I am 4959 but I am not sure if I gave my build date before, I am July 03. The trans is fine as of this morning's commute - ha - any further extrapolation with these cars would be dangerous.
    Last edited by Dmb408; August 12th, 2013 at 15:38.

Old Beast
    Build date 7/4/03

VIN: 904843

TC Replacement:
    Date: 02/1/2010
    Mileage: 60,000

Trans Replacement:
    6/30/2012

Car was flashed with a very early Eurocharged ECU/ MTM TCU.
    Sold 3/2013

New Beast
    Build date 3/04

VIN: WUAPV64B94N901510

Original TC & Trans....keeping fingers crossed
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

A bit of luck (a wee bit...) and how the car is used will always be a factor. Do a thorough trans service, feel better, and unkink those crossed fingers.....

Whether ZF or VAG made or requested changes to the transmission due to said "problem", may be worthy to dig into. Think I posted my cars info here awhile back with some thoughts and info on trans servicing.

Recently serviced the diffs (again after 1.5yrs and 12K miles) and glad I did.

Audi should have completely revamped the fluid service guidelines for the RS6....."filled for life".....right-oh.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Original Owner. First TC failed at 59k. That replacement has just failed now at 118k. Decision time. I live 10 miles away from Tozo, so I got that going for me.

Question: Do I preemptively rebuild the transmission or just replace the TC?

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    There is nothing to join. It's done and a different transmission.

Water under the bridge on the rs6. US cars are 9 to 10 yrs old at this point.

Do you have early records on your car? Another car you just purchased. Right
    I just got a new TC and Transmission, 118k miles. Does anyone know if a newer unit from Audi will last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy312 View Post

Original Owner. First TC failed at 59k. That replacement has just failed now at 118k. Decision time. I live 10 miles away from Tozo, so I got that going for me.

Question: Do I preemptively rebuild the transmission or just replace the TC?
    Yes, rebuild certainly if tuned above stock. I'd worry about the extra wear during the time driving with failing/failed tc.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by SensoRS6 View Post
    I just got a new TC and Transmission, 118k miles. Does anyone know if a newer unit from Audi will last longer?
    Trans has always been the same, just tc with early seal problems. I believe you're tuned, so proceed with some caution. I put an upgraded/rebuilt trans in the grave after 8 months. Driving habits and power make a world of difference.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

100% stock, except for "upgraded" TC

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Yes, rebuild certainly if tuned above stock. I'd worry about the extra wear during the time driving with failing/failed tc.

Stock has always been plenty of power for me. If my son is already captain of the football team, I'm not going to put him on steroids. I learned very early how to massage the gas pedal so it smoothly runs through the gears, and that is nowhere near the floor. The sound of that engine has been my Siren's Song for the last 11 years. It makes my heart happy.

no chance of this trans having any life left?

Nice, I tend to drive mine caution around shift points and throttle. Your trans could still last a while. Just depends on your mechanic costs I suppose. If it's $2k instead of $4k for a motor pull and swap makes it easier to wait. The cost to rebuild now is almost the cost to swap down the road, and you've got to rebuild too. It's more on the worn side, but might last you years.

Thank you. It's 2k vs 5k, and the man/myth/legend Tozo is right up the road. Will do the 2k TC replacement and do the 120k mile service. Probably will list it here and lose interest in selling it when it's all dialed in. Thank you very much for your honest, informed opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy312 View Post
    Thank you. It's 2k vs 5k, and the man/myth/legend Tozo is right up the road. Will do the 2k TC replacement and do the 120k mile service. Probably will list it here and lose interest in selling it when it's all dialed in. Thank you very much for your honest, informed opinion.
    Yea, I've been through this circus a few times. I bought the car with a bad TC, but under warranty, so $500 for the new TC and $3k for labor and that was that, I left my original trans in with 86k on it.

A year later at 93k, that original trans failed. Luckily my mechanic is great, and this time it was $2k labor, and a new trans from Tozo for $3.5k.

Eight months later at 96k I started to get some serious gear slip under WOT; I believe I had toasted the clutches after too much hard driving; Tozo had warned me about the rebuilt trans not being bulletproof due to many factors, especially the size and strength of the clutch packs. He's a standup guy and warrantied my trans, I covered shipping and helped with some cash, so another $1k there, and another $2k for the labor.

Needless to say, I'm driving with a bit more caution these days. Still plenty of WOT, just not shifting at redline under full throttle, helps a ton I'm sure. If I were betting on your trans life with your driving habits I'd take the under at 150k, but still think you could get more miles out of it, especially if you fixed the TC soon after each fail, reducing wear on the trans. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thank you, I will. For the past few years, every time I have to put money into this car, I think of selling it. After it's back to perfect working order, I'm convinced that I will keep it forever. My brother just bought a new car and told me it puts a smile on his face every time he drives it. I told him I have had that feeling for 11 years. There is something really special about these cars, if you can afford to maintain them...

My number #2 904568 had tc/trans done on 6/06. My first one likely had it done but I never fully ran down that trap line...but I am 90+% sure it was done.
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

I’m currently looking at buying a Jul 03 build, 904916... I’ve combed through the records, and unless the TC was done during its years as an Audi CPO (for which I have no records), it appears to be on the original TC/Trans. No codes currently. Is the car on borrowed time at this point? Most recent owner was meticulous and kept all records, just don’t have all of the earlier history.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiPilot View Post
    I’m currently looking at buying a Jul 03 build, 904916... I’ve combed through the records, and unless the TC was done during its years as an Audi CPO (for which I have no records), it appears to be on the original TC/Trans. No codes currently. Is the car on borrowed time at this point? Most recent owner was meticulous and kept all records, just don’t have all of the earlier history.
    They are all on borrowed time. No difference than any other performance car on the road; simply depends on which part is in question. With that said on the RS6 5H-24 slushbox, there are updated metal clutches that replace the orginal fiber clutch material.

Meticulous owner is a good start, but more importantly how the vehicle is both driven and serviced is even more important. VAG calls out no service interval on the transmission, as most/all Euro mfg's do as well: Life time Fluid. Very few owners see past the printed word, and even fewer service shops are willing to make the case on servicing beyond OEM specs. Separate topic in itself.

Drive the car: WOT in TIP mode to ensure the trans holds the power. Drain a small sample of the trans oil to check for excessive contamination.

Will likely need a fluid and filter service. Once the oil stays clean (rinse lather, repeat as necessary). Do a full service every few years - a complete flush - needs about 14-18 qts. Get a TCU tune. These cars shift far to softly to begin with.

When if finally fails, get a performance rebuild or do a MT swap.

Have fun, drive it like it's the 300KPH car it is.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Dumb question. How do I find my build date?

Quote Originally Posted by DKP View Post
    Dumb question. How do I find my build date?
    With the caveat that I've only been looking at used cars to buy, often they're shown on a sill sticker that looks like this... unless I'm wrong about what that date means...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 2.41.28 PM.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	18952  

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    They are all on borrowed time. No difference than any other performance car on the road; simply depends on which part is in question. With that said on the RS6 5H-24 slushbox, there are updated metal clutches that replace the orginal fiber clutch material.

Meticulous owner is a good start, but more importantly how the vehicle is both driven and serviced is even more important. VAG calls out no service interval on the transmission, as most/all Euro mfg's do as well: Life time Fluid. Very few owners see past the printed word, and even fewer service shops are willing to make the case on servicing beyond OEM specs. Separate topic in itself.

Drive the car: WOT in TIP mode to ensure the trans holds the power. Drain a small sample of the trans oil to check for excessive contamination.

Will likely need a fluid and filter service. Once the oil stays clean (rinse lather, repeat as necessary). Do a full service every few years - a complete flush - needs about 14-18 qts. Get a TCU tune. These cars shift far to softly to begin with.

When if finally fails, get a performance rebuild or do a MT swap.

Have fun, drive it like it's the 300KPH car it is.
    Thanks for that! Very helpful.