Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Governor limit

Speed Governor limit

Picked up the “beast” last fall and decided to throw in a few upgrades. Had a local Indie put in Apikol side-mount InterCooler kit along with AutoSpeed Tune for the ECU. Car is very responsive to say the least. Tune guys claim that car should be pushing over 520 hp now. I haven’t put it on a dyno to confirm, but it seems plenty quick.

The other day I hit a long patch of straight highway and decided to open it up. Conditions were good and I hit 160 mph when the governor kicked in. Tune guys claim that governor is raised to 200 mph and has to be something else. They’re thinking that audi TCU software may be the culprit.

Anybody run across something like this with their own chips/tunes ? I don’t plan on going over 160 on a regular basis, but the car felt solid and was not laboring at all. I was in Tiptronic when I hit it. Should I have been in Sport mode instead ? Any thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome mmacalus! Sorry that I don't have anything but a free *bump* to add to your question (relatively new myself), would you mind adding your beast's info to your forum signature? We've got a pretty definitive list of the RS6's VIN and stock config in another thread stickied in this section.

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with Apikol side-mount's instead of the upgraded Wagner IC kit? I'm debating which to go with, and you're the first I've seen to have the Apikol's outside of the UK.

Good luck!

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

The top speed governor is 1000% in the ECU and not the TCU. Have your tuner PM me for instructions on how to remove it.

Dang, that's a good way to open up the car on a drive! More info/pics would be cool.

I'd say a well tuned car would be in that ballpark hp wise, I am roughly, all estimated at the engine, and it's the 550tq that really counts!

Like you said, butt dyno knows best, and these cars go fast when tuned up well, cheers.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Went with Apikol IC based on shop (Berg Performance) recommendation. Plus, Apikol is right up the street in Boulder. So, easier on them for troubleshooting. Car has 104K on it. Tranny was replaced by Audi at 80K under warranty.... so should be good for awhile
    2003 RS6 Avus Silver Pearl, Apikol Side-mount IC, AutoSpeed Tune
    2001 A6 4.2 Brilliant Black, Stock

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audi_RS6_1.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	14030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audi_RS6_2.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	59.5 KB 
ID:	14031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Audi_RS6_3.jpg 
Views:	465 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	14032Here's a few pics of the new baby

Well, it looks like 10SecS4 was right. AutoSpeed Tuner found glitch in his code and fix on the way. Now I have to test it out ... darn

Quote Originally Posted by mmacalus View Post
    Now I have to test it out ... darn
    Oh the humanity! XD Have fun, don't get caught!
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Please don't hold me accountable if you get arrested now.

Well, it looks like 10SecS4 was right. AutoSpeed Tuner found glitch in his code and fix on the way. Now I have to test it out ... darn

it should do 304 km/ph....or 189 mph
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie27 View Post
    it should do 304 km/ph....or 189 mph
    Unless you get the TCU recoded to allow higher shift points/rev limiter.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Unless you get the TCU recoded to allow higher shift points/rev limiter.
    the final drive is the final drive..
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie27 View Post
    the final drive is the final drive..
    It's simple math really.

The axle ratio is 3.197
    5th gear ratio is .804
    tire diameter is 26 in.

Given these numbers, if your limiter in 5th gear is at 6400rpm, the top speed would be 192.59mph

If the limiter is raised to 6800rpm (as mine is), the top speed would be 204.63

Obviously, this is theoretical, as you would need the horsepower to fight the extreme wind resistance of this speed.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

i love fish'n with you yanks, its too easy !! xx yewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    winner winner chicken dinner

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    It's simple math really.

The axle ratio is 3.197
    5th gear ratio is .804
    tire diameter is 26 in.

Given these numbers, if your limiter in 5th gear is at 6400rpm, the top speed would be 192.59mph

If the limiter is raised to 6800rpm (as mine is), the top speed would be 204.63

Obviously, this is theoretical, as you would need the horsepower to fight the extreme wind resistance of this speed.
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

You tube has videos of them going 333kmh. Which is roughly 207mph I think.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Fix installed and everything just fine . Took it for a little spin this morning and hit 170. Still amazed at this bad boy. Aside from some wind noise, barely felt like it was working hard at all. 207 will have to be another day, though

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    You tube has videos of them going 333kmh. Which is roughly 207mph I think.
    That video is a c6 RS6.

Fix installed and everything just fine . Took it for a little spin this morning and hit 170. Still amazed at this bad boy. Aside from some wind noise, barely felt like it was working hard at all. 207 will have to be another day, though
    DAMN....at 120 the car feels light to me, and that on lower/stiffer suspension.

How long was the climb from 4-5th above 100?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com