Thread: Straight Piped the Beast

Straight Piped the Beast

Yesterday I brought my beast into the exhaust shop. had the pre muffs and Mufflers removed and replaced by straight pipes. They made the pipes bolt-on so i can easily slide out the straight pipes and slide my old SE exhaust back in. I was a bit skeptical on how it would sound, just hearing Youtube vidoes. I could not stop smiling the entire way home, sound just like the SE exhaust cruising at 60, but when you hammer the throttle, WOW!! It sounds amazing in my opinion. Got the Thumbs up from at least 5 cars while driving home. Best 330 dollars i have ever spent. I will post a vid and pics soon. Anybody think any HP is gained?

Nice, you're still running all 4 cats then?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Yesterday I brought my beast into the exhaust shop. had the pre muffs and Mufflers removed and replaced by straight pipes. They made the pipes bolt-on so i can easily slide out the straight pipes and slide my old SE exhaust back in. I was a bit skeptical on how it would sound, just hearing Youtube vidoes. I could not stop smiling the entire way home, sound just like the SE exhaust cruising at 60, but when you hammer the throttle, WOW!! It sounds amazing in my opinion. Got the Thumbs up from at least 5 cars while driving home. Best 330 dollars i have ever spent. I will post a vid and pics soon. Anybody think any HP is gained?

Previous owner said pre cats in the DP's where gutted. I dont know how true it it since i havent heard a stock SE with or with out pre cats to compare it to, so I am going to assume that it is not. So yes I would think it has the pre cats and the regular cats.

Gut them bad boys then you can join the straight piped from turbos to tips club!!
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Any HP gains?

Any HP gains?
    Cats are the main restrictor, I'd guess 5hp maybe, if anything?

Suppose a bit lighter too...

I bet it feels faster with the extra noise!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Gutting the pre-cats -- the two smaller cats closest to the turbos -- is worth 1-2 tenths and 1-2 MPH in the 1/4 mile on the RS6. Probably in the 20-30 HP range, but this is on a tuned RS6. I presume the gains would be smaller on a stock RS6.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Cats are the main restrictor, I'd guess 5hp maybe, if anything?

Suppose a bit lighter too...

I bet it feels faster with the extra noise!

Military?

If so, be warned that if you get xferred back to Cali, that might not pass smog...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I am assuming you have to pull the motor to gut the pre-cats.

Yes mililtary, Have another 3 years in wa, and live in Skagit County where there is 0 emmisions testing

I am assuming you have to pull the motor to gut the pre-cats.

Yes mililtary, Have another 3 years in wa, and live in Skagit County where there is 0 emmisions testing
    Loosen engine and move up to get to pipes bolted to turbos, minor/moderate PIA...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

To the OP, as it is with tipping your waitress, it's customary to post a video with sound of the new music.

Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I'm so ridiculously jelly. Also military in Schweinfurt Germany. DESPERATELY searching for a good turbo back straight pipe exhaust system. after watching the "gut your precats and cats" videos I definitely just want to buy a new exhaust.
    Currently living in Ansbach, Germany. 03 RS6 US spec - Eurocharged Stage II tuned, OZ rims, Zimmerman formula Z drilled rotors, Ferodo Pads.

Any droning noises ? Nice tips btw !!
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Gutting the pre-cats -- the two smaller cats closest to the turbos -- is worth 1-2 tenths and 1-2 MPH in the 1/4 mile on the RS6. Probably in the 20-30 HP range, but this is on a tuned RS6.
    Bingo....!
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down