Thread: Ecu software options

Ecu software options

Hey guys, first post here! Recently purchased my first C5 RS6 and loving it!
    The previous owner flashed the ecu with Unitronic stage 1. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this software? Is it safe/powerful compared to other options?
    Between Revo, Uni, MTM, Jfonz and Viper, which is the most aggressive and which is safest? Note, I left out GIAC as I've heard it's unsafe.
    I'm ready to reflash the ecu with a better tune!

Thanks!

Get a Vagcom and data log. Your tune could be just fine.

So far I only checked timing pull... Planning on logging this weekend. Very inconsistent pull between cylinders... From 0 on cup 1 to 6 degrees on cyl 3 at the same time... I'll be logging o2 voltage, iat and maf.

I use Uni to boost fuel on my Revo tune, not sure about their actual tune.

Log data, EGT, lambda, boost, timing...

Also get a tcu chip, cheap and helps the shifting...

Update your location in the sig, and welcome!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Over the years I've tested and data logged APR, GIAC, MTM, ABT, and Revo. APR was the strongest of that bunch but it's also one of the most expensive. Back in 2008-2009 I decided to develop my own tune for the RS6 and went through dozens of different revisions to perfect and optimize the tune. I found that the other tuners didn't pay much attention to detail and likely did little to no testing for the RS6 C5 platform. For example, I was able to make more power than the competition due in large part to running greater spark advance with less boost pressure than what they were running. This is a relatively large displacement motor with small turbos. The stock turbos and wastegate actuators weren't designed to run much more boost than factory levels. When you increase the boost pressure you're creating a lot of heat and the turbos also cannot hold that much boost to redline. This is why the car is faster with more timing and less boost than what you see in a GIAC or Revo file. I experimented with a lot of different software changes on both my RS6s until I was satisfied with the results. To this day I believe both of my RS6's 1/4 mile ET and trap speed records still stand and are quite a bit faster than your typical GIAC or APR car:

Quickest & Fastest RS6 with a tune only - 11.9 @ 117 MPH (over 200K miles too!)

Quickest & Fastest RS6 in the country - 11.59 @ 119 MPH (tune/no cats). Still my daily driver to this day!

Feel free to PM me with questions or for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringlord View Post
    Hey guys, first post here! Recently purchased my first C5 RS6 and loving it!
    The previous owner flashed the ecu with Unitronic stage 1. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this software? Is it safe/powerful compared to other options?
    Between Revo, Uni, MTM, Jfonz and Viper, which is the most aggressive and which is safest? Note, I left out GIAC as I've heard it's unsafe.
    I'm ready to reflash the ecu with a better tune!

Thanks!

The one that starts with "V" and ends with "R" might be worth a punt. Not that I'm biased or anything :P

I LOVE my viper tune...and their TCU chip as well
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

10Sec - I've heard you've been offering your tune, is that ECU only or do you have a TCU tune to go along with it? Consider me interested, since either we could meet somewhere near to local and get the tune pushed, or if you've got the bench for it, I could go without the car for 3 days (overnight, tune, overnight) - PM me if there's something you can do for a /b/rother in the metro DC area who can't afford a week without the vehicle to ship parts to Viper

Thanks
    Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Okay, does that time slip really say 32 degrees and winter tires? Color me interested.

Yessir, I had only a touch of wheel spin out of the hole. Quattro rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    Okay, does that time slip really say 32 degrees and winter tires? Color me interested.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post

Also -1900 DA. Wish I had that! It's +4000 here, no wonder I'm no where near that 1/4 time

Negative DA definitely helps turbo cars a lot, especially the RS6 since cooling is critical due to the way everything's so tight under the hood.

What does your RS6 run in the 1/4 mile? And what was the DA when you ran it?

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    Also -1900 DA. Wish I had that! It's +4000 here, no wonder I'm no where near that 1/4 time

13.1 @108mph. 2.0 60' DA was +3500 and 93* outside with a 45 minutes drive thru traffic on the way to the track lol!

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Negative DA definitely helps turbo cars a lot, especially the RS6 since cooling is critical due to the way everything's so tight under the hood.

What does your RS6 run in the 1/4 mile? And what was the DA when you ran it?

While that DA certainly isn't helping, you should still be faster than 13.1@108 if you have no cats and a ECU tune. Most magazines got a 12.8-13.0 @ 107-108 out of a bone stock RS6. My grey car ran 12.0@114 in June of 2009 when the temps were in the 90's. It was at the event "Summer Slam" at Englishtown, NJ. I'd have to look up the exact DA but probably similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post
    13.1 @108mph. 2.0 60' DA was +3500 and 93* outside with a 45 minutes drive thru traffic on the way to the track lol!