Thread: Best way to cool engine bay, ideas...

Best way to cool engine bay, ideas...

Thoughts on keeping temps down...

Add fan in passenger side space venting out wheel well.

CO2 cooling spray for ICs.

Vents in hood.

Water spray from water/meth setup.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'm going to go out on a limb and say wrap your headers and get some turbo blankets in. Can't vouch for how well it'll work on this particular car, but it definitely dropped the underhood temps on my Grand Prix wrapping up the headers back to the front of the catalytic converter.

---I take zero responsibility for any damage you may cause to your self / vehicle / others---

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Underhood temps will always reach a certain level. Ambient will move that number up or down more than anything.

We could opt for coatings on headers and turbos but costs would be sky high.

Hmmm, actually I have a set of perfect headers sitting right here. HPC coatings may not be a bad idea.

MTM has an RS4 B7 CF hood with vents on it, perhaps you could have a look into it and apply it on your particular case. I guess you could also replace de SMIC with a larger FMIC and leave the side vents clear for better cooling, underbody panels are also a good place to start looking into.

Good luck!

Just remembered, I once say a pretty cool mod on a Mk4 GTI/A3. As you know the SMIC is isually blocked in the back by the "fender liner"(dunno the specific name) but, these guys cut it out and placed on of those bathroom vents in it, of course good materials, fit and finish are a must, but apparently it worked like a charm...I believe I saw that in vwvortex.

Sportec undertray mod and vented hood are pretty much your only easy options. Coatings would work great if you already have the motor out.

FMIC is a bad idea as it will block precious airflow to the radiator as well as adding heat load to the radiator.

The fender liners are already vented, Audi thought about that one!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Heat wraps do help lower under hood temps (done this before on various cars), but it's time consuming, and the benefits are best for forced induction....

I've been experimenting with removing the under tray ("belly pan"). The A/C works better (50F temp drop tested in the shop with a blower fan and 86-88F Ambient temp), esp. around town. However, I'm uncertain at this point if IC's are getting a bit heatsoaked from lack of controlled air flow. Will monitor to see if I can correlate the two.

Far as heat soak when shut down for the night in the garage: pop the hood, lower attic ladder, switch on attic/house exhaust fan for a couple hours. Big vacuum effect!
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I considered running no belly pan this summer..but I think there is too much exposure from road debris to vital parts...
    2013 Audi S8

Install a liquid nitrogen cooling system.
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

Belly pan needs to be intact for proper airflow to all components.....

There are NACA ducts incorporated to direct airflow to the slushbox.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Run hoodless.... Or should I say without a bonnet.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Run hoodless.... Or should I say without a bonnet.
    Genius!!!, I've seen a few cars around town like that...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by marklar182 View Post
    Sportec undertray mod and vented hood are pretty much your only easy options. Coatings would work great if you already have the motor out.

FMIC is a bad idea as it will block precious airflow to the radiator as well as adding heat load to the radiator.

The fender liners are already vented, Audi thought about that one!
    The Sportec mod can be done easily. There was a thread years ago that showed where to cut the undertray; I opted to cover the openings with aluminium screen and it worked great! I bought a new undertray for the mod, and then liked it so much I did the old undertray which I saved as a backup. And the NACA ducts for airflow to the trans are left intact; the screening should prevent debris from going up into the works (I hope!)
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    The Sportec mod can be done easily. There was a thread years ago that showed where to cut the undertray; I opted to cover the openings with aluminium screen and it worked great! I bought a new undertray for the mod, and then liked it so much I did the old undertray which I saved as a backup. And the NACA ducts for airflow to the trans are left intact; the screening should prevent debris from going up into the works (I hope!)

1. Interested in selling the spare undertray? I don't have one on, lost it on the highway.
    2. Do you ever go to IRP on Wednesday night?
    3. Is your car the one with the INGAUGE plate off of Fletcher Ave?
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryindiana View Post
    Sounds good, been thinking of using a 1/4 inch wire mesh, still worry about grime and grit getting up into belts and such, maybe I'll just buy another tray to mod and swap out...

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Sounds good, been thinking of using a 1/4 inch wire mesh, still worry about grime and grit getting up into belts and such, maybe I'll just buy another tray to mod and swap out...
    I think the idea is that at any kind of speed the airflow through the radiator is sufficiently robust that the air is coming out the newly cut holes in the undertray. So grime and grit shouldn't have much of a chance, particularly if you have a lip that extends down in front of the hole to deflect any large bits downward.

For makaveli42; I am keeping the extra undertray; sorry. It is cheap insurance against trouble. I haven't been to IRP in years; lived in Indy and watched SCCA there in my early 20s. Later did some Skip Barber races there. Been a long time though. I live up in Northeast IN. Get to Chicago more than Indy.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!