Thread: Washer Fluid Pump Issues

Washer Fluid Pump Issues

I recently noticed a puddle of washer fluid on the ground every time I came back from a drive. The pump worked ok and managed to pressurize the nozzles but not for very long. After a few days the pump stopped working. Not sure if the pump failure and washer fluid leak are related but it's too curious of a coincidence... I checked the washer system fuses located in the driver side dash board. They checked out ok, which tells me the pump might be dead... Moving on, I jacked the car up, removed the front driver side wheel, removed the inner fender lining. The washer tank became visible but couldn't figure out where it had leaked from. I tried to remove but it seems to be sandwiched between the car's sheet metal and the driver side intercooler ducting.

My questions:
    Am I on the right track here by planning to replace the pump and its grommet?
    If so, how do you get the tank out to replace the pump? Does the intercooler duct need to be removed?

Anyone experience this??

Thanks gang!

Anyone??

Just saw this...had a house guest that left last night, so I was being polite and not checking the forums!

It's right behind the headlight, so you'll need to pull that out and should give easy access....

Thanks Muggy

I replaced mine in the B5 about two years ago and there are a number of sensors and seals in the reservoir so well worth sighting them all. You need to remove the guard liner to get the reservoir out if you need to do that. Pretty sure the C5 unit is very similar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B5 reservoir.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	19485  
    2003 Sportec RS6, 2001 Revo RS4, 2000 A4 GP quattro, 1963 Unimog 404 TLF8