Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New-to-me RS6, V#905530 , parts needed list

Mech New-to-me RS6, V#905530 , parts needed list

So I bought TechGurru's beast, after much calling back and forth, hassling TG and his local dealership, and finally getting the PPI done. Black on black, wood trims (already have my order in at OCarbon to swap up to 11oz CF)
    The car came off the transport truck with about a half-gallon of fuel in the tank, which the driver burned getting to the drop location. I'm freakin' thrilled, and ready to get it road-ready.

What that entails for me:
    1) CV Boot replacement - RF Inner, $210 at a local indy shop
    2) Motor Mount - Left, $785 at said indy shop (Audi stealership quoted $4600 in labor + $385 for the part )
    3) Splash Guard - ~$430 for the part, plus mounting hardware (see also, next line!)
    4) And this is the part that gets me - miscellaneous small parts - I don't have access to ETKA, and there are no part numbers on what I need! Anyone who does have ETKA who could help with this, I'd very much appreciate.
    4a) Locking capture nuts - the front snaps for the front airbox cover - one is missing completely, the other has the spring-loaded clip and the threaded bolt that it locks into, but seems to be missing a nut on the underside to hold it in place
    4b) Plastic/rubber grommet - again for the front airbox cover - the part in question is actually slid over the post on the front end of the Drivers' side airbox cover, and the front airbox cover snaps into place on top of it
    4c) Window wiper post cap - the little plastic nut that covers the wiper arm to wiper transmission linkage
    4d) Mounting hardware for the splash guard - I'd like something a little more permanent than whatever came from the factory since I've seen quite a number of folks saying "it was there one day and gone the next"
    Sorry if I'm not using the proper names for the parts, but again, no access to ETKA
    5) Tail lights - I'm super-picky, and the little crack in the left tail light inspired me to upgrade to some LED tails, hoping they don't look hideous when they get here...
    6) Full detail - The long, slow, love session that'll get minor swirling and pitting out of the paint and get the beast looking shiny and new again. I'm not posting pics 'til this is done, since the hauling from the Pacific Northwest to the DC area has left its dusty mark all over...

Can't wait to get it on the road and actually start enjoying the car I've been drooling over since it was announced!
    Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Congrats on your new affair. Hopefully it is a long and meaningful one...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Congrats on your new affair. Hopefully it is a long and meaningful one...
    Thanks, I remember contacting you about your Mugello beast that you might have been interested in selling - if it weren't for the manual conversion, I'd have been all over it, but stick-shift + DC area traffic is a no-go for me

Other_Erik
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Most of these parts in #4 can be picked up at your local dealership in their parts department. Many of these little pieces are not too expensive there. And you can look at their books to see what parts you need. For example, the locking capture nuts… I picked those up at a local Audi dealership… cheap.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Are the locking capture nuts available at the dealer or anywhere online, I have one missing.

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    Most of these parts in #4 can be picked up at your local dealership in their parts department. Many of these little pieces are not too expensive there. And you can look at their books to see what parts you need. For example, the locking capture nuts… I picked those up at a local Audi dealership… cheap.
    Not necessarily trying to cheap out, just trying to plan the full services at the Indy shop, so they can have parts on hand before I bring the car in. I usually plan things like this out pretty meticulously... Not to mention I can't drive the car anywhere until I get it titled and get some paper license plates on it.

The local stealership is notoriously bad in their customer service, I'm convinced the only reason they remain is because they move cars like mad, being the only outlet for new Audi's in the metro DC area. I know I'm going to have to go there to get new keys cut, to the tune of $589/ea., would rather not give them any more money than is absolutely necessary.

I'm also welcoming suggestions for better-quality parts for mounting the shroud as well, like I said above - I don't want to drop a couple hundred bucks on a piece of plastic and come out one morning to it having fallen off on the previous nights' drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    Are the locking capture nuts available at the dealer or anywhere online, I have one missing.
    I want to say that they were 20 cents a piece at the dealer.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    Thanks, I remember contacting you about your Mugello beast that you might have been interested in selling - if it weren't for the manual conversion, I'd have been all over it, but stick-shift + DC area traffic is a no-go for me

Other_Erik
    Congrats on getting the car to NOVA! I am still waiting for title for my car as well so I can register it, (already got passed emissions and inspection). Just heard that previous lien holder just released the title (took 3 weeks!)

Regarding the manual trans.. that's what DD cars are for . Can't wait to swap a 6speed in my RS6 (once the warranty is done next june). So actually, will probably happen Winter 2014, don't want to have the car down during the summer.

Also, what indy shop are you taking your car to?
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kmartens View Post
    Congrats on getting the car to NOVA! I am still waiting for title for my car as well so I can register it, (already got passed emissions and inspection). Just heard that previous lien holder just released the title (took 3 weeks!)

Regarding the manual trans.. that's what DD cars are for . Can't wait to swap a 6speed in my RS6 (once the warranty is done next june). So actually, will probably happen Winter 2014, don't want to have the car down during the summer.

Also, what indy shop are you taking your car to?
    Thanks, going with AutoScandia in Herndon, they've got a tech with 20 years Audi master mechanic experience, so I'm good with that. Definitely not looking forward to the drive(s) out to Audi Chantilly so they can bend me over the desk and give me "SERVICE with a smile (and no lube)" when I need 2 keys cut and the small bits listed above... I'm looking into the crystal ball and seeing that 20 cent list part being 3 weeks of backorder waiting followed by a bill for $60 or more.

We're definitely going to have to have a meetup/mod day soon, I'm moving into Herndon (and all its associated BS) at the end of the month, so things are really fluid for me at the moment... but at least I'll be somewhere with a garage!

Thanks, going with AutoScandia in Herndon, they've got a tech with 20 years Audi master mechanic experience, so I'm good with that. Definitely not looking forward to the drive(s) out to Audi Chantilly so they can bend me over the desk and give me "SERVICE with a smile (and no lube)" when I need 2 keys cut and the small bits listed above... I'm looking into the crystal ball and seeing that 20 cent list part being 3 weeks of backorder waiting followed by a bill for $60 or more.

We're definitely going to have to have a meetup/mod day soon, I'm moving into Herndon (and all its associated BS) at the end of the month, so things are really fluid for me at the moment... but at least I'll be somewhere with a garage!
    Haha, I live in Woodbridge but really close to Manassas border. I am near Herndon area frequently though as few of my friends live in Reston by Reston Town Center. Agree, we will definitely need to do a mod/meetup day (should have car registered by the 24th), I am looking to get the same Carbon Fiber trim set you ordered from OCarbon, perhaps we could do a trim install day. I still need to order mine though!

About Audi of Chantilly I didn't get a good vibe from time I went there looking for a used Q5 for my DD, very unfriendly sales service. Parts department i dont have experience with. Always used Audi of Tysons Corner when i had my B5 S4 for parts.
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

Quote Originally Posted by kmartens View Post
    Haha, I live in Woodbridge but really close to Manassas border. I am near Herndon area frequently though as few of my friends live in Reston by Reston Town Center. Agree, we will definitely need to do a mod/meetup day (should have car registered by the 24th), I am looking to get the same Carbon Fiber trim set you ordered from OCarbon, perhaps we could do a trim install day. I still need to order mine though!

About Audi of Chantilly I didn't get a good vibe from time I went there looking for a used Q5 for my DD, very unfriendly sales service. Parts department i dont have experience with. Always used Audi of Tysons Corner when i had my B5 S4 for parts.
    Already put in my order with OCarbon, it's a good 2-3 week lead time from order date to get trims, and that's if they have stock sets ready for dressing. I was looking real hard at the Carbon/Red Kevlar, but it was just tooooo much red. Would've been perfect if it was like the RS6+ Blue weaves from the Euro market - a 4x4 twill pattern with 1 thread out of the 16 being blue (or in the case of what I'd want, red) - it's hot, but not hot enough to drop 3500 euros plus international shipping. I've done a bit of trimwork before, and don't trust my own clumsiness enough to risk a $300 security deposit for my old trim removal, much less installation of nice CF pieces... I'll have to check on the Audi of Tysons - it's actually a bit closer for me now... Gonna keep this post updated with progress, since my replacement tail lights come in Tuesday, and that at least is something I've done with other cars before, shouldn't be too much hassle to drop in. I think I may have ended up getting the same ones you have on your car - it was MontyRS's right?

For the mod day, I'm thinking Hotchkis sways if/when I decide to pull the trigger on them, and maybe if I can find some brake ducts those can be on the list too

Other_Erik

//Edit- Just checked out Audi of Tyson's, they list the same inbound phone number for parts and service as Audi Chantilly. Called 4 times yesterday to get the list price for new keys, finally had to call sales and bitch someone out to get the parts department. I'm just sayin', is all... -tidE\\
    Last edited by Other_Erik; June 14th, 2013 at 17:22. Reason: Tyson's Corner...

Does the replacement of the LS motor mount mean the engine has to come out?

I would not just replace the boot. Replace the entire axle with a Raxle complete OEM quality unit. 199 per side.

So I bought TechGurru's beast, after much calling back and forth, hassling TG and his local dealership, and finally getting the PPI done. Black on black, wood trims (already have my order in at OCarbon to swap up to 11oz CF)
    The car came off the transport truck with about a half-gallon of fuel in the tank, which the driver burned getting to the drop location. I'm freakin' thrilled, and ready to get it road-ready.

What that entails for me:
    1) CV Boot replacement - RF Inner, $210 at a local indy shop
    2) Motor Mount - Left, $785 at said indy shop (Audi stealership quoted $4600 in labor + $385 for the part )
    3) Splash Guard - ~$430 for the part, plus mounting hardware (see also, next line!)
    4) And this is the part that gets me - miscellaneous small parts - I don't have access to ETKA, and there are no part numbers on what I need! Anyone who does have ETKA who could help with this, I'd very much appreciate.
    4a) Locking capture nuts - the front snaps for the front airbox cover - one is missing completely, the other has the spring-loaded clip and the threaded bolt that it locks into, but seems to be missing a nut on the underside to hold it in place
    4b) Plastic/rubber grommet - again for the front airbox cover - the part in question is actually slid over the post on the front end of the Drivers' side airbox cover, and the front airbox cover snaps into place on top of it
    4c) Window wiper post cap - the little plastic nut that covers the wiper arm to wiper transmission linkage
    4d) Mounting hardware for the splash guard - I'd like something a little more permanent than whatever came from the factory since I've seen quite a number of folks saying "it was there one day and gone the next"
    Sorry if I'm not using the proper names for the parts, but again, no access to ETKA
    5) Tail lights - I'm super-picky, and the little crack in the left tail light inspired me to upgrade to some LED tails, hoping they don't look hideous when they get here...
    6) Full detail - The long, slow, love session that'll get minor swirling and pitting out of the paint and get the beast looking shiny and new again. I'm not posting pics 'til this is done, since the hauling from the Pacific Northwest to the DC area has left its dusty mark all over...

Can't wait to get it on the road and actually start enjoying the car I've been drooling over since it was announced!
    Other_Erik

You have some options here if you're on the floor with this price.

You can go aftermarket, using non active ones and use defeater plugs so that they do not throw faults (these will not cause a CEL, but only fault codes, I think). I think that the reason for the active mounts is to dampen vibration at idle.

See here.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...-Numer-Request

I've just used an appropriate diameter of rubber tubing to slide over the post and provide enough friction to hold the cover in place.

I might have some of these laying around if you need them. I'm guessing that they're not that expensive though. I couldn't find a P/N for them in ETKA.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Does the replacement of the LS motor mount mean the engine has to come out?
    I think you can wrangle it out without removing the engine, but you might need to raise it a bit or lower the subframe.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    You have some options here if you're on the floor with this price.

You can go aftermarket, using non active ones and use defeater plugs so that they do not throw faults (these will not cause a CEL, but only fault codes, I think). I think that the reason for the active mounts is to dampen vibration at idle.

See here.
    http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...-Numer-Request

I've just used an appropriate diameter of rubber tubing to slide over the post and provide enough friction to hold the cover in place.

I might have some of these laying around if you need them. I'm guessing that they're not that expensive though. I couldn't find a P/N for them in ETKA.
    SteveKen, you're a life-saver I'm good on the price for the indy shop ($785) to replace the mount - that included parts and labor.
    The attachment part I'm looking for is 077 103 733 according to that diagram, will be ordering up a pair of those just in case. I'll see if I can find appropriate rubber tubing (not like I don't have enough of that laying around!) for the rear end of the front cover.

If you have a spare cap for the wiper post, I'll paypal you a dollar or two to drop it in an envelope for me - shoot me a PM if you'd like...

As to DHall1 - the lower motor mounts absolutely _can_ be replaced without removing the engine. You have to have an engine hoist to get the job done, but basically attach hoist, undo mounts, lower subframe until you can clear the bad mount, and reverse for installation. At least, that's how it was explained to me by the indy shop.

Thanks!
    Other_Erik

As to DHall1 - the lower motor mounts absolutely _can_ be replaced without removing the engine. You have to have an engine hoist to get the job done, but basically attach hoist, undo mounts, lower subframe until you can clear the bad mount, and reverse for installation. At least, that's how it was explained to me by the indy shop.

Thanks!
    Other_Erik
    Congrats on getting the car!

I've replaced two bad motor mounts, or my shop has. Really didn't notice much change in performance, or anything...maybe a bit less shake.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Update:
    Done:
    Motor mount and CV boot replaced, ordered the splash guard and locking capture nuts (they've arrived!)
    Getting 2 keys and a valet key cut and programmed for ~$800

To-Do
    Very heavily considering picking up the Wagner IC's being offered here, full kit will run me ~$1500 and hopefully help charge temp when I'm sitting in DC area traffic in the summertime. Pretty certain install requires removing front bumper, and I haven't had enough hands-on time with the RS6 to be comfortable doing something like that in a day / over a weekend yet.
    Viper Tuning ECU/TCU flash will have to wait until I can let the car sit for a week - have to get my current daily in better shape first, needs the EBTCM rebuilt due to ABS faults.
    Need to find the proper fitment and order the hubcentric mounting rings so I can run the S5 wheels that I bought from my brother. I know the size difference (57.1-66.6mm hub), but the depth of the spacer is giving me fits - some have recommended as high as 18mm, largest I can find in proper fitment is 10mm.
    Still need to find good mounting hardware for the splash guard - no mounting hardware was included with the order (not that I was expecting it, but it would've been nice)
    The battery (OE original) has bad cells, replacement will run me ~$180 - no biggie
    Still haven't found the little plastic cap for the wiper post - talked to the folks at AutoScandia, the part itself is discontinued, if you want one you have to order the _ENTIRE WIPER ARM_ to the tune of ~$400 - ridiculous, I'll just have to find something else to cover.

I'm not complaining about the amount of time/effort/money I'm putting into the RS6, I know it's my dream machine and I'm going to need to wear a bib the first couple times I drive it to keep the drool off my shirt

Other_Erik

To-Do
    Very heavily considering picking up the Wagner IC's being offered here, full kit will run me ~$1500 and hopefully help charge temp when I'm sitting in DC area traffic in the summertime. Pretty certain install requires removing front bumper, and I haven't had enough hands-on time with the RS6 to be comfortable doing something like that in a day / over a weekend yet.
    Front bumper removal is pretty straightforward - if I could do it, you can. I replaced pass side IC (with stock) - but from what I recall reading in posts, that's the easy one (vs. driver's side).
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa