Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serpentine belt replacement help (new member, pics attached)

Serpentine belt replacement help (new member, pics attached)

First I'd like to introduce myself since I'm a new member. I'm located at Columbus Air Force Base, Ms which is pinned between Birmingham, AL and Memphis, TN. There's not much else around. I picked up my RS6 2 weeks ago with 73k on the clock and half of the 75k service done. Attached are a few pics. The interior and exterior are in excellent condition and I received service records from the first owner/service to present and everything looks great.

Problem: Starting today, Battery voltage is surging around 10v when running and the light is on so I had the battery checked and its fine. I'm assuming the alternator so Ill go ahead and replace that using a how to thread on this forum.

My question is.... To anyone that has done this or replaced only the serpentine belt, Is it possible to do this from under the car while removing the alternator?? Or, does it have to be done in the service position when the front end is off, in which case I might have to wait until I do the timing belt, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cory
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	13961   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	side.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	13962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	635050775629243233.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	13963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	635050775636431147.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	13964  

Also, I have these files on hand... https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B-...Q5Y2IzYjY1YzRk
    and they're great but the don't exactly help with accessing the belt from underneath.

First off, welcome to the forum! Put the front into service position to do the belt and alternator. My son got his wings at CAFB 02-07
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Here's a post about replacing the alternator, doesn't look too bad: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/19...or-replacement

And yes, I believe you do need to put the front clip in the service position for the belt.

Over 1/3rd of all Air Force pilots come through here. Is he still in? I'm an air traffic controller but I've only been in a little over 3 years.

And thanks Dave! I had accidentally closed that link earlier and was just about to re-search for it. This car is a PITA to work on so hopefully the belt will be fine until I get around do doing the rest of the 75k service.

Yes, currently at Tyndall. T38 Agressors Squadron.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Ill be at tyndall next weekend actually..

Welcome to the Club. Beautiful Car, good luck with it love the Red. Alternator can be replaced without pulling the front clip. Its a pain but it can be done as many others have done it. Don't know what mods have been done if any, but mod it (Tune, Supension, Exhaust, etc) to really appreciate what you have. There will be a few obstacles along the way but once overcome you will enjoy............
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Suspension looks just about right…me thinks! Love those wheels on red. Beautiful car. Enjoy! Welcome.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Carado1984 View Post
    Problem: Starting today, Battery voltage is surging around 10v when running and the light is on so I had the battery checked and its fine. I'm assuming the alternator so Ill go ahead and replace that using a how to thread on this forum.

My question is.... To anyone that has done this or replaced only the serpentine belt, Is it possible to do this from under the car while removing the alternator?? Or, does it have to be done in the service position when the front end is off, in which case I might have to wait until I do the timing belt, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cory
    Congrats and good luck - looks great.

Fyi I just did the alternator removal recently, and in my case - as with several others - it was only the regulator at fault. Unfortunately you have to remove the alternator to get to it, but it is an inexpensive item (~$40), and is easy to replace yourself. Have a look at this thread :

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25...t-switch-fault

It it, i refer to another thread that I used as a DIY guide

So you may want to try replacing the regulator first, then having the alternator tested, prior to footing the bill for a replacement alternator.

again, good luck
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Welcome! Congrats on the find. Looks awesome! ENJOY!

Elevens...Currently the car is stock and I'm going to leave it that way for a little bit just in case some maintenance issues pop up. Ill be installing a DVD-Nav this weekend only because i cannot stand the stock head unit. Cool in 2003 but I don't own a CD anymore. The brakes are all new so I believe my first modifications will be catless downpipes, cat back, and tcu ecu tune. I plan on waiting until I either need to replace something that requires either the service position or dropping the engine, or waiting 1 year just for maintenance issues that may pop up. I would also like to replace the DRC however they are working fine for now.

1uglymug.. Thanks! I do like these wheels, I wish they were the 19's so they must be replicas but I think they look better than stock. I'm a fan of the Miro 112 wheels in black https://www.google.com/search?q=miro...w=1920&bih=979 and I think they would look great but that's probably down the road a bit. Im not too keen on using spacers and I believe they would need it. Ill do some more research.

LIRS6-..... I panicked and bought an alternator on ebay only because I'm on taking leave and going on vacation with some family that is flying down next weekend so I need it fixed. I am thinking it is definitely just the regulator so I will be replacing that on the broken alternator and either keeping it just in case or making it available to someone on the forums. I picked up the new ALT for 220 shipped so thats not too bad. Also, my vehicle spent its first 64k in long island and was serviced at Manhattan Audi.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! For how small this community is, this forum has already been a huge help.

Welcome to the club and congrats on the purchase. Another one in SE! There is another red one due East of you in Greenville, SC (FYI).

Service position for sure. And, if you have the space and additional time, take the whole front off leaving A/C bits connected and swung out of the way under the front. With the entire front off you can really inspect condition of everything much easier than just service position which buys you about 4-5 inches of space. If you have the accessory belt off and front clip off you should go ahead and pop timing belt covers and inspect belt to be sure it was done properly and no wear.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Welcome, nice looking car!

You sure that's DRC on there?, never seen one sit so low, and even. Most seem to sit high, and I certainly had handling problems above 80 as my DRC was off some.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I guess I assumed it was DRC but i honestly havent even checked. Its been on a lift twice but both times I was working under the car and didnt bother to check the suspension because it rides great. It was only throwing a code for a bank 1 sensor 2 o2 code and I replaced that. Would it throw a code if the drc was removed? I highly doubt its been tuned out.

And thanks for the tip alrightroad. I will be doing that in a couple months anyway if the belt looks ok when i inspect it tomorrow. Red seems to be fairly rare for this car and I'm not a huge fan of red normally, but it grew on me a week before I purchased it.

No code from removing the DRC. Take a look at the strut, look for the connecting hoses. I'm running stock springs as they are good, just Koni struts for simplicity. Who knows, you may have a nicely sorted DRC!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

We have threads a plenty on the 4x4 DRC causes. First thing to do is measure center hub to fender lip on all four corners.

Typically the rear is high due to control arms torqued while suspension in the air. A big no no

Measure first, car looks great maybe just a tad high in the rear then see if you need to settle the rear and retorque all rear control arms with the suspension compressed.

Anyone know what size wrench I need for the tensioner so I can get the belt off the alternator? I'll be starting this tomorrow morning.