Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enhanced Exhaust

Enhanced Exhaust

I just picked up my RS6 a couple days ago and truly enjoy the handling and drive. There is something sad, though. My wife thinks it too loud and hates it.

Other than replacing the exhaust system for around $1200 (I refer to it as castration), does anyone have suggestions for a way to quiet it down a little?

Serious and comical responses are welcome.

Earplugs for the wife maybe

buy her a different car
    Lord of the Rings

Play Heavy Metal loud when she's in the car.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Re: Enhanced Exhaust

Originally posted by Johfra
    ...does anyone have suggestions for a way to quiet it down a little?
    When you say it, did you mean the car or your wife? :-)

Have you considered a divorce? Of course, that would cost more than $1200 but would avoid the castration.

Just in case you aren't sure, this is a comical, not serious, response.

I'm so glad I posted the question. Great replies.

The loud music was the first thing I did and the ear plugs I thought to use on myself so I wouldn't have to hear her say it's too loud

I guess the good thing is that she won't be taking my car, and the bad thing is that she's picking a new car for herself

I do enjoy the sound of it, and I only have 300 miles on it. Still breaking in the engine.

So, I'm curious what your wife is using as a reference point? I don't think the RS is particularly loud at all, but it all depends on what you expect.

It's not a luxury car, it's a road rocket. It's never gonna be as quiet as a true luxury car, at least until the C6 body style comes along.

I guess you could also say that it rides roughly, too, but it really doesn't - it's just firm, in the manner of all performance cars.

She was expecting maybe Lexus-like silence and smoothness??

Don't accelerate hard when she's in the car

'Course that'd be like piloting a G5 and never leaving the ground...pointless.
    Hope you work something out.

Johfar-

Thanks for the thread it has been very entertaing.....Bob, funny as hell .

unfourtantly, I cant relate as my wife loves the sound of the RS6 and wants to now put exhaust on the S8 to make it sound similar:hmm: . Anyway, I dont think there is really any way except another car....which is more expensive than the $1200 but much less expensive than the divorce

Good luck
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Bauer - If you want a Supersprint for your S8, let me know. I have one in my garage that was on my S8 for 8 months.

Supersprint exhaust system? Have not heard of them....did it make a difference on your S8 and if yes, in what ways? I may be intrested...send me a PM.
    Bauer

01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Listen before you spend

Before you spend $1200 to change to a standard exhaust, you'd better have a listen to one. There's not much difference between it and the enhanced version, in the opinion of my sales manager & me. (I'm speaking about U.S. cars as you can see in my info)

I have the standard but also drove two with the enhanced before mine arrived. The enhanced produced a nice growl inside -- and so does the standard. Maybe some difference but not a lot.

There is not much difference between
    sound enhanced exhaust and standard...
    You could say that sound enhanced exhaust
    is tiny little bit louder, but not $1,200 worth difference.

seriously, stock exhaust is probably the quietest you can get. The more money you pay, the sound probably get louder and throatier. Stock exhaust is built to a way to entice character of the engine and of course provide comfort.

Seriously RS6 sound so damn good, plus .... C platforms are quite quiet..... i guess the best thing to do is not to floor the thing or pass 3000rpm while she is in the car .(drive slowllllllyyyyyyy ) then you will be fine.

Relief yourself by saying "wooser" (Bad boys 2 movie)

My wife took the car last night for the first time with one of her girlfriends. When she returned home (late and in one piece ), she realized that it is completely different while in the driver's seat.

She asked her friend how it felt in the passenger seat, and I think it sounds different while being a passenger. I'm going to have her drive the car and I'll be the passenger (with my eyes closed:MTM: ) to see if I agree. Regardless, the exhaust stays (and the wife too). The car is such a pleasure to drive. It's my everyday car and it's a nice upgrade from my A6 4.2.

Besides, she's getting a new car now as well. She can pick a quieter one for herself.

Originally posted by Johfra
    Regardless, the exhaust stays (and the wife too).
    Glad to hear as the sound is truely something SWEET. Enjoy and welcome to the forum

Ben

Once you sit in the drivers seat everything changes. I gave the keys to my RS6 to my father and told him he needed to drive the car. His response was rather ho-hum before hand about driving a 4 door sedan.........boy how things change once someone drives the car. He could not stop talking about it and demanded that I stop by more ofter so he could drive it again.

My comment to people who don't know the car but say"oh its just a 4dr sedan" is "here are the keys....lets see if you will be eating those words"
    Bauer

01 S8

My comment to people who don't know the car but say"oh its just a 4dr sedan" is "here are the keys....lets see if you will be eating those words"
    I agree. But, I must admit that there is something very peaceful about driving a car that others simply see as a "nice" car. I like to maintain a low-key existance, but break loose when other's don't expect it.