Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyer beware of the Sportec RS600

I think we have been more than fair as with regards to that RS600. Several members have seen this car in person and have subjective opinions about its condition and state of tune. I'm 100% in agreement with all your posts in this matter and its why we are all here. I think any forum member can make grown up decision and all the subjective feedback helps the direction. In the end, we all understand subjective opinions and we move forward. No name calling or derogatory statements to the seller were made but he/they became very defensive about the whole thing. Oh well, put your ad on Autotrader and leave us alone then.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yes Dave, there are people here that have far more intimate knowlegde of this car than you or I, and prefer to stay anonymous. I"m OK with that and understand.
    I was just posting my limited knowledge, experience, and opinion of the car and situation. MY opinion is: I can build a car like that for way less money and WAY less headaches. I'm not sayng the car is a POS, I'm just saying I don't think it's worth all the money people are trading for it. Good luck to anyone that obtains it. If nothing else, it is a piece of history now!!!

There is an a$$ for every seat. Good luck to the future owners of that car...I'm sure there will be many...
    2013 Audi S8

The For Sale thread wasn't deleted, mods can still see it. It was moved on the thread starter's wish, and I can understand why.

Difficult call, do we (I) allow for sale post or not?

The easiest way for me would just be to delete any for sale threads (cars or whatever), on the other hand I Think a lot of members probably benefit from them (on both sides of the sale).

We've had some instances with people buying (and unfortunately paying) for stuff they never got - it's the internet and shit happens if you're not careful!

As it is anyone can post a for sale thread in the normal section, as there's a limited amount of these posts.

However I really don't like these kind of threads, like this one and the development. Too much negative.
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

I find this incredibly positive. Everyone may have an opinion on value, power, condition or history but the real concerns of legality are what the real concern is rooted in. I had read the original and was happy/proud to see this when a real concern was had. This is what makes this community here one of, if not the best. I have been involved in a lot forums over the years but this one is truly something different.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    The For Sale thread wasn't deleted, mods can still see it. It was moved on the thread starter's wish, and I can understand why.

Difficult call, do we (I) allow for sale post or not?

The easiest way for me would just be to delete any for sale threads (cars or whatever), on the other hand I Think a lot of members probably benefit from them (on both sides of the sale).

We've had some instances with people buying (and unfortunately paying) for stuff they never got - it's the internet and shit happens if you're not careful!

As it is anyone can post a for sale thread in the normal section, as there's a limited amount of these posts.

However I really don't like these kind of threads, like this one and the development. Too much negative.
    Please keep in mind I'm coming at this having _just_ purchased a vehicle that I found on this board. I'd probably still be looking for another beast if it weren't for the threads here, because every one that I found needed THOUSANDS of dollars worth of work. (think $8k or more, every single time)

That said, I've seen this kind of debate from both sides, and can suggest the following:
    1) To POST anything forsale or fortrade, picture(s) with _your account name_ in big bold letters on a piece of paper in them are required, as well as a [FS], [FT], or [FS/FT] tag in the title
    2) Payment terms need to be very clear - Smaller items Cash at pickup or paypal verified for goods, not gift payment. Larger items (vehicles, crate engines, basically anything that PayPal won't cover either side due to value/subjective value), Cash at pickup or certified cashiers' check only
    3) RS6.com will take no liability in the case of fraud on the part of any buyer or seller, the facility to buy and sell parts/vehicles on the board is a privilege extended to members only, and may be removed with no notice for any reason / no reason whatsoever.

In this particular case, my only advice would be to _not_ allow the sale of a vehicle with questionable legal status until such time as proof can be shown that the vehicle has been approved by the Federal DOT for use on US roads, and that it has been titled with serial number by the owner.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    In this particular case, my only advice would be to _not_ allow the sale of a vehicle with questionable legal status until such time as proof can be shown that the vehicle has been approved by the Federal DOT for use on US roads, and that it has been titled with serial number by the owner.
    Excellent idea!
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

On the other forum I am a member on all Cars for Sale ads must be accompanied by pics of the vin tag or be deleted.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

I would just think that buyer beware is good enough. Maybe someone wants an off-road only car? People have to be responsible for their own action and make their own decisions as to whether it is worth it or not. I am guilty of bringing in a Euro only model Lancia 25+ years ago and working it out to get a title. I said working it out, it had a DOT/EPA sticker, enough said but I never tried to sell it to anyone but I would have to the right buyer. Just saying I don't believe or count on big brother or anyone else looking after me.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

We don't need to be fixing what's not broken here. If you have something for sale, post it and hopefully sell it. The buyer needs to do a bit of due diligence on the purchase side. If its a new member with 6 posts that's selling something, personally, I would be cautious. If its a member that has been reputable in the past, I'm not as worried.

Keep it as is. We have the best Audi forum on the World Wide Web.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

People should take personal responsibility, I'm with ya.

But what harm would it be to ask a seller to post the VIN number if he/she is suggesting that this is a legal drivable car in the US? If it is a car that is an "off-road only car" then the seller should say so. I don't see this as big brother. I just see this as "clarification".
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

I agree 100%.

I just don't think the forum moderators should be in any way responsible to police this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    People should take personal responsibility, I'm with ya.

But what harm would it be to ask a seller to post the VIN number if he/she is suggesting that this is a legal drivable car in the US? If it is a car that is an "off-road only car" then the seller should say so. I don't see this as big brother. I just see this as "clarification".
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

The only Police we need is for someone put the little black RS600 out of its pain and misery.

You are probably right… just added headache for them.

And in all honesty, I don't think folks on here would let the sale of an unauthorized vehicle or even a RS6 clone sold as a "authorized authentic" go on unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    You are probably right… just added headache for them.

And in all honesty, I don't think folks on here would let the sale of an unauthorized vehicle or even a RS6 clone sold as a "authorized authentic" go on unnoticed.
    Yep, everyone pointed out the issues with the sportec car when it went up for sale, and if the new buyer had come here pre-purchase then they could have found out all the info he needed.

And the same goes for every other car. The collective knowledge of this forum constantly patrols FS cars and points out possible shortcomings.
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

What is it any of your buisness where the car goes or what happens to it Dhall1, you were harassing marc and I about the car about paper work. Mind ur own shit stop making drama on the forums if someone wants to know anything about the car you can ask. People sell cars on the forums track car setup gutted no airbags blah blah give me a break everyone knows about the car why keep throwing fuel into the fire, i sold it to a guy hes happy with it he knew what he purchased, maybe one day you will have a 6speed rs6 yourself goodluck

Quote Originally Posted by lowered97a4 View Post
    What is it any of your buisness where the car goes or what happens to it Dhall1, you were harassing marc and I about the car about paper work. Mind ur own shit stop making drama on the forums if someone wants to know anything about the car you can ask. People sell cars on the forums track car setup gutted no airbags blah blah give me a break everyone knows about the car why keep throwing fuel into the fire, i sold it to a guy hes happy with it he knew what he purchased, maybe one day you will have a 6speed rs6 yourself goodluck
    Great attitude, and grammer. I'd say in general people with rs6's care about the other cars and want folks to have a good experience. Even if said owner is happy, who knows just what the condition or performance of the car really is. Hopefully it's doing well!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Lol i dont care about my spelling right now, its annoying when you have this guy calling you and emailing about the car for a couple years has no interest in the car and just wants to bother you and annoy you thats all. Im sure you will be seeing pictures and posts on it here soon hes gone thru the car fixed and cleaned the car up a lot im happy it went to a great owner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lowered97a4 View Post
    Im sure you will be seeing pictures and posts on it here soon hes gone thru the car fixed and cleaned the car up a lot im happy it went to a great owner!!!

So your admitting the car was a piece of crap? From the mercedes forum it looks like the issues were as follows: "Wheels re done, oils changed, exhaust leaks fixed, AC is not working, radio was not working, and the title was not in hand yet."

We all knew about the title issues, and I think I saw the ac mentioned by someone, but the rest of these are icing on the cake! Who knows what else will come up! Plus it has been repainted...hope the buyer got a good deal! I can't wait to hear from him!!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp