Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Audi rear discs and pads badly scored. Advice please.

New Audi rear discs and pads badly scored. Advice please.

I recently ordered new drilled rear discs and pads from Audi for my RS6. I have done 1000 mile with them and was shocked to find that the inboard discs on both sides have 2 deep scores in them. I had them removed and inspected and was shocked to find the friction surface of both inboard pads to have a "pit" in them. The garage reckons it looks like a large chunk of metal had been embedded in the pads. I tend to agree.
    Has anyone had a similar experience?
    I am concerned because in 1000 miles the grooves in the discs is (guessing) about 1mm deep.
    I have already emailed the supplier with photos and am waiting for a response.
    Ideally I think Audi should replace discs and pads under warranty.
    The pads are Pagid pads but ordered from Audi.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	13920   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	13921  

Did Audi dealership do the parts and labor? If so, then maybe but I doubt it. Outside debris would generally not be covered.

Looks like OEM pads claim another victim...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hi Ben. So have you heard of this particular problem before?

yeah, this is a very common issue.
    The pads are the problem as they have five rivets on the backing plate that are embedding in the friction material.
    As the friction material wears down, the rivets contact the rotor and create large deep channels.
    I know first hand.

How close are you to Unit20 or MRC?
    Have them help you as the dealership might not...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Not far from unit 20.
    I thought that that problem was with worn pads? These have barely covered 1000 miles.
    Also these are OEM Pagids not OE ones which I was lead to believe are different specs.
    Is this not the case?

You ordered rear pads from the Audi dealership?

Yes. I ordered rear discs and pads from Stoke Audi. Can I just ask for them to replace them through the guarantee against defective parts?

Give it a shot....I've only ordered oil cooler gasket sets from them....and I was pissed I paid an extra $30 for 2 o-rings....won't happen again.

That is not where the pins are in the pad. I think this is debris that was caught in the rotor/pad.

As others said. Give it a shot. You never know.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Agreed looks like either debris from road, or maybe in the pad? At least its rear, get rotors ground a bit and slap new pads on?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I will be trying to get Audi to replace under guarantee first I think being as the 2 rotors and set of pads cost me £800 (thats UK £) just under 1000 miles ago.
    Its encouraging that you agree on my theory of debris in the pad.
    Thanks for that.

being the rear pads i don't think the theory of rivets apply, as far as i know is only valid for the front ones...good luck with the dealership in having them to replace it!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quick update. I have had an email from Audi saying that I need to take the car to a dealership and if they find the pads and discs to be faulty then they will replace them under guarantee.

Someone on another forum suggested there could have been a burr left on the disc at the top of one of the countersinks.
    I can't see it being debris picked up from the road with it happening to both rear discs, in the same place and both at the same time. I believe in coincidences but that's just too much.

I didn't realize (or read well enough) that it was on both. That is odd.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I didn't realize (or read well enough) that it was on both. That is odd.
    me neither, but it looks like an odd piece of material embedding in the pad, at least to me

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    me neither, but it looks like an odd piece of material embedding in the pad, at least to me
    I'd guess...that a piece of metal or such was manufactured into the pad, where that chunk is missing...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com