Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible failure of ECU- anyone experience this?

Possible failure of ECU- anyone experience this?

10 days ago had just started my car, drove about a block, sitting at stop light and it just dies. Cannot restart, turns over but nothing happens. Battery, gas etc. fine. Wait 30 minutes for tow, he tries to start car (as if I am a dummy) and it starts for about 5 seconds and dies again. At my indy shop, same thing; brief start, then dies. They suspect ECU and pull the whole thing to ship back to APR. They replaced their chip, though their diagnostic did not indicate a problem but they thought perhaps it had loosened and said they upgraded the chip at the same time (though I have had it since they first came out with it, did not realize they had an upgrade). Back in the shop, same thing :-(. Car starts, runs fine, and as soon as it starts to warm up, it dies. Won't restart until it sits and cools off for a while. APR and Audi Tech Services are stumped but agree that it is probably something in the motherboard of the ECU with a failure that kicks in once the warm up cycle is finishing. It's a cool $1154 for a new ECU, which then has to go with the car via tow to dealer to inactivate the immobilizer codes, then pray it starts and hope to ship back to APR again.
    We have a saying in medicine, one never wants to be an interesting patient. Now I have an interesting problem with my car. Anyone else run into such a thing, or does anything hear ring some distant bells before we head in the wrong direction?
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Sounds like a crank/cam positioning sensor
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by na1mt View Post
    Sounds like a crank/cam positioning sensor
    Agreed! I had a 93V8 Quattro with the 4.2L engine. It had a same problem as Papadoc, It wound up being the Crank Position Sensor. So I would say that's a good call. Hope you get it resolved..................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

When the car is failing to start, which lights do you see illuminated on the cluster when you turn the key to the right without attempting to start it? If the CEL and EPC lights are on, I doubt it's the ECU.

I'm assuming you've checked the ECU for DTCs and there either were none or none that apply to your issue?

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    10 days ago had just started my car, drove about a block, sitting at stop light and it just dies. Cannot restart, turns over but nothing happens. Battery, gas etc. fine. Wait 30 minutes for tow, he tries to start car (as if I am a dummy) and it starts for about 5 seconds and dies again. At my indy shop, same thing; brief start, then dies.
    I experienced this same behavior within the first year of owning my car (bought new) - when I described the circumstances to the dealer ... each time, start-up okay when cold, then kaput after warm-up .. the dealer spoke with Audi in Germany ; the recommendation was to replace the wiring harness, which they did. Cured the issue.

Oh, and yes - same experience with the tow operator!
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Sounds like the crank position sensor. Other Audis that are of similar vintage are starting to run into almost identical failures and replacing the sensor cures the engine failures.

We had a car in the shop a year or so ago with an APR tune. It ended up someone had inadvertently enabled the immobilizer that came with the APR tune via the switching system they use on the turn signal stalk.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Very much appreciate the input and good wishes. I have great faith in the guys in the shop I use, and have relayed this information on to them. Awaiting word back. Getting a bit tired lugging around in a big old Yukon XL...
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Very much appreciate the input and good wishes. I have great faith in the guys in the shop I use, and have relayed this information on to them. Awaiting word back. Getting a bit tired lugging around in a big old Yukon XL...
    Why not drive the Bugatti?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

His neighbor won't let him anymore...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Why not drive the Bugatti?
    Would if I could! Believe me though, that is not one to use as a daily driver...

Update???
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Had to wait for the crank position sensor to arrive, not available locally, should be installed tomorrow. Hoping that this does it!

Groan. Replaced the crank position sensor, no change. The car starts in the morning and runs fine until the warm up cycle is complete and then dies. Won't restart until cold again. I don't want to have them replace the entire ECU at $1200 unless I really know that will do it, but wow, this is frustrating...I've suggested as noted above that they call Audi in Europe. Still in the Yukon...

Did you check for boost leaks?

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Did you check for boost leaks?
    Don't know that they have, but again, it runs fine until it doesn't! Always after warm up. Each morning they start the car, drive it into the bay, and it dies. No codes either. Possibly going the route of our colleague on Long Island next.

A boost leak on a mass air equipped car like the RS6 can result in the condition you're describing. Do you smell fuel at all either while you're cranking it or as it's running before it dies?

Coolant temp sensor?
    2013 Audi S8