Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm simply baffled...

I'm simply baffled...

Fellow Audi enthusiasts,

I just want to try to briefly share an experience I have had this week during my search for a Beast. If you've read some of my other posts, you will see that I am hunting a Daytona Gray (on Ebony preferably) RS6 in relatively stock condition with reasonable miles. I happened across this link on Autotrader to one that had the Silver interior:

(edit: autotrader link wouldn't work so here's the listing on their website)

http://www.fidelitymotorgroup.com/we...on-IL/6959298/

I looked at it more and more and decided I could settle for the Silver interior trim if the deal was right as I think it looks pretty good, I'm just worried about keeping it clean and nice looking long term. I feel the Ebony interior would be more user friendly.

Anyway, in the advert it says the car is in "excellent condition and it is apparent that this car was garaged and meticulously-maintained." I sent a message via AT to the dealership requesting more information, specifically about DRC replacement and if the trans/TC had ever been worked on. I got a reply the next day that said this:

"Dear Patrick

Hi! all info on wwwfidelitymotorgroup.com. it is a good car. pleas call

Regards,

Mark Mayer
    Sales & Leasing Consultant
    Fidelty Motor Group"
    I replied that the blurb on the website is the same as what was on AutoTrader so that doesn't answer my questions. I asked if they had any maintenance records for the car. I received nothing back that day, which was Tuesday. Yesterday, I got a blank email from "Mark" with nothing but his email signature. I thought it strange but wondered if maybe he had tried unsuccessfully to attach something to send me so I replied that all I received was a blank email and to try to send whatever it was again and that I am still interested in the car. He later said "Hi! all the info i have is 19- car fax service records. pleas call". I tried to explain that CarFax records are not what I am looking for, as I could get those myself. I got nothing back.

At lunch I decided to call the dealership and speak to the sales manager. He said his name was "Adam" but it was fairly obvious he did not speak English natively. I could barely understand him on the phone. I explained that I was having difficulty working with "Mark" and asked if he could assist me instead. I explained what info I was looking for and he said that they did not have any maintenance information on the car. I proceeded to tell him that he could try calling the local Audi dealership (which he claimed to be in good with) to request any records they have via VIN number. He said he didn't know that and would do so. I asked for information specifically related to the DRC, the trans/TC and last timing belt change that they had on record. He replied "most people who own these types of cars don't go to the Audi dealership". I asked him to try anyway. Later yesterday evening I finally got a reply from "Mark" who sent this "Hi! 2012 recall from audi roll over valve done, 2009 one shock replaced, 35000 mil 12/2006 t/belt replaced. this is all info from audi. call if interested." I replied with an, admittedly low, offer due to it sounding as if it probably needed a timing belt immediately and possibly other work since there was no mention of brake or transmission work. Again, nothing back.

Just a few minutes ago I got a phone call from "Mark", also not seeming to have spoken English originally and very hard to understand, who asked if I was still interested in the car. I started "I think I am going to pa-" (Mark) "OK THANK YOU" *click*

I'm at a loss for words as to what has transpired regarding this car. I'm wondering how a seemingly larger, relatively high end dealership can operate business this way? If you are in the market for an RS6, like me, and happen across this thread, I highly suggest caution regarding this particular car!
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Congrats on saving your hard earned money...walk away...many places like that...scary...

Do what I usually do...when I am looking for a particular car...scour the forums and internet and find the one you want...even if it's not for sale..you might all of a sudden find an interested seller...
    2013 Audi S8

That's pretty much been my plan. I check this forum frequently during the day and search AutoTrader once in the morning and the evening looking for new listings.

Also, "Adam" claimed that he "drove the car home the other night" and it "is mechanically sound". I'm not sure how qualified he is to say such things since he didn't even know timing belts are due, according to Audi, every 40k miles. I used to work at a dealership and while sometimes we would drive customer's cars home to check for problems in the early morning when starting or to set readiness codes for state inspections, it was always with the permission of the owner and I don't remember sales people or managers ever driving cars from the lot home. Who am I to say how he drove the car? But still, it sounds shady...
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs

Also watch out for GoMotors in Colorado (IIRC) they seem, no, they have a proven track record that is documented on this forum of saying one thing and providing another.

There have been a couple of owners with nightmare used car dealerships like the OP documented.

EDIT:
    Also it is priced with the knowledge that it WILL need a timing belt.
    Also some of these horses ass sales guys have no clue on what to listen for when it is "mechanically sound" what the F@#$ does that mean???
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

the term "sales guy" pretty much sums it up...
    2013 Audi S8

Cars.com shows 12 gray cars...did you check all of these?

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/au...02&clrId=27127
    2013 Audi S8

I think we have covered this many a time.

Pretty much every RS6 from a hole in the wall used car lot may have a ton of issues. Buyer beware for sure.

Low ball offer a dealer in another state and you will get crappy service for sure.

Low ball offer a owner that prices the car right and you will most likely get a click. I dont think the RS6 is the right car to go around low balling offers. Just my .02c if you want a good car you will have to pay for it. Whats the old commercial...pay me now or pay me later.

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Also watch out for GoMotors in Colorado (IIRC) they seem, no, they have a proven track record that is documented on this forum of saying one thing and providing another.

There have been a couple of owners with nightmare used car dealerships like the OP documented.

EDIT:
    Also it is priced with the knowledge that it WILL need a timing belt.
    Also some of these horses ass sales guys have no clue on what to listen for when it is "mechanically sound" what the F@#$ does that mean???

I will freely admit I low-ball-offered on it simply out of spite and frustration citing their asking price minus rough estimates of the work it most likely needs. They never even really responded to that offer anyway. I'm just putting this out there in case some one just happens to check this forum before going down the same road... I'm sure someone who doesn't do their research will pick it up for at or close to their asking price. There's a sucker born every minute...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Cars.com shows 12 gray cars...did you check all of these?

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/au...02&clrId=27127
    There's a couple on there that I hadn't seen before. Also, five of those twelve are Avus Silver and mislabeled. I lol'd that someone could mistake silver for gray but I guess that happens too... The top 3 are waaayyy out of my price range and the gray ones towards the bottom have too many miles on them. The only ones in the middle with reasonable miles and reasonable price for my budget are the silver ones listed as gray.

For my search I stayed focused on 3 key realms of where I might find the car: 1.) if local listing, then it could be from small dealership, individual or larger 'brand-name' dealership, 2.) out of my area, I would talk to individuals only if they had a creampuff and were an enthusiast, 3.) out of my area, I would not talke to an used car lots/small dealerships and only talk to the larger, dealership under national brand names. The independant dealerships will be hell to work with out of your area and even the ones near you - they just operate differently. Stick with enthusiasts who have owned the car for more than 3 years and kept up with maintenance. Stick with major brand dealerships across the country and work with their sales managers, not the sales guys (unless you get a hold of a sales guy who is patient with your questions and does some leg work for you). I paid to have 3 RS6 checked out at dealership out of state and 1 at a local well known VAG shop. They all came back with major repair lists over $5K. Most of the major dealerships who might get one in on trade will give it the once over and fix mostly items which will get it sold to a wholesaler. Catching a low mile trade-in in tip top shape is tough and you have to be quick on the phone and money. They all take credit card down payments. Be prepared to jump on a plane within a few days of finding one and committing to deposit money. Also, use Quattroworld or this forum to have feet on the ground in other states for going and checking cars out for you. You know I would check one out for you but we live in the same state! The one I finally bought took lots of phone calls and emails with pictures, etc... from Des Moine. It was a trade-in at a Land Rover dealership and the dealership was a family own group of 5-6 stores in town with Lexus, Jag, etc. So, I had confidence in their ability to at least spend some time with me on a rare car. Long story short on the Des Moine thing, I ended up getting my sales guy a gift card to Orvis (he was an avid fly fisherman) as he worked hard for me.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

I would give this post A+ for the time, effort and content.

+1000 on all points.

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    For my search I stayed focused on 3 key realms of where I might find the car: 1.) if local listing, then it could be from small dealership, individual or larger 'brand-name' dealership, 2.) out of my area, I would talk to individuals only if they had a creampuff and were an enthusiast, 3.) out of my area, I would not talke to an used car lots/small dealerships and only talk to the larger, dealership under national brand names. The independant dealerships will be hell to work with out of your area and even the ones near you - they just operate differently. Stick with enthusiasts who have owned the car for more than 3 years and kept up with maintenance. Stick with major brand dealerships across the country and work with their sales managers, not the sales guys (unless you get a hold of a sales guy who is patient with your questions and does some leg work for you). I paid to have 3 RS6 checked out at dealership out of state and 1 at a local well known VAG shop. They all came back with major repair lists over $5K. Most of the major dealerships who might get one in on trade will give it the once over and fix mostly items which will get it sold to a wholesaler. Catching a low mile trade-in in tip top shape is tough and you have to be quick on the phone and money. They all take credit card down payments. Be prepared to jump on a plane within a few days of finding one and committing to deposit money. Also, use Quattroworld or this forum to have feet on the ground in other states for going and checking cars out for you. You know I would check one out for you but we live in the same state! The one I finally bought took lots of phone calls and emails with pictures, etc... from Des Moine. It was a trade-in at a Land Rover dealership and the dealership was a family own group of 5-6 stores in town with Lexus, Jag, etc. So, I had confidence in their ability to at least spend some time with me on a rare car. Long story short on the Des Moine thing, I ended up getting my sales guy a gift card to Orvis (he was an avid fly fisherman) as he worked hard for me.

Eric knows what's up! I'm glad you are in my corner

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I would give this post A+ for the time, effort and content.

+1000 on all points.
    Ah, gee, thanks, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    Eric knows what's up! I'm glad you are in my corner
    Patrick, keep up the good work and remember patience is on your side.

While its not Daytona. MonteRS car in FL looks good

Quote Originally Posted by StormFront View Post
    There's a couple on there that I hadn't seen before. Also, five of those twelve are Avus Silver and mislabeled. I lol'd that someone could mistake silver for gray but I guess that happens too... The top 3 are waaayyy out of my price range and the gray ones towards the bottom have too many miles on them. The only ones in the middle with reasonable miles and reasonable price for my budget are the silver ones listed as gray.
    There is a Datona Grey/Ebony one for sale here in Anchorage (78,000 miles) from a private seller - $22,000 asking (price was higher when I test drove it). It test drove well- DRC replaced, stock - no ECU/TCU chip, no CEL, decent maint records. a few "issues" - it did have an air bag light on, fog inside pass side headlight (no visible crack in lens ), a crack in windshield (common here), 2" tear in driver's seat bolster, low speed suspension rattle (A-arm bushing?). I did not have it checked at a shop but talked to the local indy shop which services it - no known issues other than Air bag light and head light moisture. Seller is 3rd owner, purchased with 60k or so, been a DD, garaged, owned for a 2 years as I recall.

Shipping to west coast from AK would probably be about $800. Could be an excuse for a fishing trip / vacation to Alaska. PM me for phone number if you'd like to talk about it.

I ended up getting one with lower miles and a bit cleaner for a little more $ in Seattle area.

Here is link: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/cto/3735472713.html

and VIN: WUAPV54B03N905275 (for Ben)
    Last edited by DST; May 10th, 2013 at 08:37. Reason: added link to CL and VIN
    '03 RS6 | Avus Silver Pearl | Black + CF interior | SE Exhaust | 64k miles and counting

Thanks DST, I had seen that one as well. While the price is attractive, it sounds as though it's lived a pretty rough life up there.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    While its not Daytona. MonteRS car in FL looks good
    Yeah, Monty even PM'd me a week or so ago about it. His car does look very nice but I'm dead set on Daytona Gray. If I'm going to spend this kind of money, I want to at least get that color. I'm a fan of gray vehicles: